Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if the gym is free to use or pay as you go or a monthly membership? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sberner1)
    Just wondering if the gym is free to use or pay as you go or a monthly membership? Thanks
    You pay as you go and can also get a membership card (no contract) which gives you discounts.

As a student, you can take your campus card (the student ID that UEA has for everything) in and they will set it up as an Educational card for free, which basically gives you free entry to the sportspark and discounts on activities.

Here is the leaflet with details of memberships:

http://www.sportspark.co.uk/document...4-a14a07963e4d

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisyr)
    Hey! I was wondering if the foundation courses have reading weeks, and if so, does anyone know roughly when they would be? I've made 'humanities with a foundation year' my firm choice, with a view to do History of Art. had to take a third year due to health issues, so UEA was the ideal solution! Really excited about September x
    There are reading weeks but it's not really set as such as some modules will have it and some won't (This is just from my experience with living with primarily BA students)

ReputationRep:
    Is the campus life a decent trade for a not so good town? As in do the campus clubs and bars make up for the Norwich ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheKian)
    Is the campus life a decent trade for a not so good town? As in do the campus clubs and bars make up for the Norwich ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When I was there most people went mostly to the LCR (the on campus club). It's a good atmosphere, a good mix of music and convenient if you're on campus first year.

Norwich isn't really lacking in any department apart from clubs anyway. There are plenty (and I mean plenty) of lovely pubs and other things to do. It's just that from what I've heard there is less choice of clubs compared to a larger city.

XXX

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What ID do I need to bring to register on my first day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheKian)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends on what you are hoping for really.

The LCR is the 'club' part of it, definitely serves its purpose. It is more less students only, music is mixed but usually pop/RnB, drinks are cheap and it isn't a matchbox like SU clubs can often be. However if you are expecting something like a superclub playing EDM/house music such as those you'd get in large student cities across the world, then you'd be fairly disappointed.

Clubs in the city are **** in my opinion.

That said, the bars in Norwich are pretty ****ing awesome.

So yeah, it all balances out.

ReputationRep:
    Does the UEA accept General Studies as part of their entry requirements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah123.)
    It depends on the course. Take a look at the prospectus - next to each course is a typical offer, some of them say they exclude general studies, some don't.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    What course is it you're hoping to study, Hannah?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of East Anglia)
    What course is it you're hoping to study, Hannah?
    Law LLB
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Law LLB
    Hi again Hannah, we would accept General Studies on your application for Law LLB. Let me know if you have any more questions about applying to UEA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Great Yarmouth is 30 mins on the train, Cromer I'm not sure- not too far in a car but you couldn't bring a car with you in first year anyway. As for water sports there are loads of clubs offering water sports- Kitesurfing, Sailing and Powerboating, Sub Aqua, Surf, Swimming, Waterpolo, Windsurf, Waterski and Wakeboarding
    ditto that - norfolk has awesome watersports. check ouy sunny hunny for kiteboarding! amazing sport - I highly recommend!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone studying English can talk about the speed of feedback? On websites only 28% students were satisfied with it and I was wondering if anyone could explain/disagree/agree with the statement.

Also, what are the people like? I've heard some complaints about excessively loud partying / smoking near lecture buildings..........is it generally a very party-heavy uni? (not in comparison to others, just judged on itself)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgnesGrey1)
    Anyone studying English can talk about the speed of feedback? On websites only 28% students were satisfied with it and I was wondering if anyone could explain/disagree/agree with the statement.

Also, what are the people like? I've heard some complaints about excessively loud partying / smoking near lecture buildings..........is it generally a very party-heavy uni? (not in comparison to others, just judged on itself)
    It's a very social uni, there is always lots going on. I wouldn't say it's so much party heavy as just social. The atmosphere is more mixed... Societies, pubs, live music and house parties as well as the usual clubbing.

Smoking near doors is no more or less of an issue than anywhere else.

Parties may happen in halls, some of which are close to lecture theatres, not excessively though, and not during lecture times.

I personally never had problems with disruption during lectures or seminars.

I'm afraid I can't comment on the English feedback speed! I know that my friends who've studied English have enjoyed it, that was the creative writing course, but I did maths so that's as much as I can say!

If you have any more questions/more specific things, ask away!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    It's a very social uni, there is always lots going on. I wouldn't say it's so much party heavy as just social. The atmosphere is more mixed... Societies, pubs, live music and house parties as well as the usual clubbing.

Smoking near doors is no more or less of an issue than anywhere else.

Parties may happen in halls, some of which are close to lecture theatres, not excessively though, and not during lecture times.

I personally never had problems with disruption during lectures or seminars.

I'm afraid I can't comment on the English feedback speed! I know that my friends who've studied English have enjoyed it, that was the creative writing course, but I did maths so that's as much as I can say!

If you have any more questions/more specific things, ask away!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the response!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by AgnesGrey1)
    Hi Agnes, just to address your point here, as you can appreciate when it comes to Literature and Creative Writing it is quite complex compiling feedback in this area as our students' writing really matters. Where we can get quality feedback to the student on time we will do so, but it's important we get it right and that it is useful. So that means paying attention to the clarity of the prose, the structure and organisation of the argument, and providing suggestions for improvement.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm a 4th year masters chemistry student at UEA, and if anyone has any questions about chemistry or UEA, im more than willing to answer if i can!
    Either here or private message

Adam

ReputationRep:
    Can a representative tell me, if I applied for the Biological Sciences + Foundation Year and got a rejection, will I be able to apply if there are spaces in clearing? I was apparently rejected on the basis of my predicted grades (I don't know what they are and I was under the impression I don't have any), I emailed UEA prior to applying explaining my situation of being a gap year student resitting exams in my gap year with the current grades CDD. I wrote in my personal statement that I wasn't at school so I wouldn't be able to get predicted grades but I was still rejected and when I asked for feedback I was told it was due to my predicted grades?

Is the course Biological Sciences + Foundation Year in clearing often, I know there is no way to tell for this year but was it the case last year?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Can a representative tell me, if I applied for the Biological Sciences + Foundation Year and got a rejection, will I be able to apply if there are spaces in clearing? I was apparently rejected on the basis of my predicted grades (I don't know what they are and I was under the impression I don't have any), I emailed UEA prior to applying explaining my situation of being a gap year student resitting exams in my gap year with the current grades CDD. I wrote in my personal statement that I wasn't at school so I wouldn't be able to get predicted grades but I was still rejected and when I asked for feedback I was told it was due to my predicted grades?

Is the course Biological Sciences + Foundation Year in clearing often, I know there is no way to tell for this year but was it the case last year?
    Sorry for the delay. We would advise contacting the admissions team directly by emailing [email protected] with 'BIO' in the subject line so we can look at your case in more detail. Unfortunately without more details we can't really help.

On the broader point about clearing and adjustment this course hasn't had places spare in August for a number of years so based on this it is unlikely it would be in clearing and adjustment this year either.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.