Law firms, Vac Schemes, and 2:2's in first year Watch

J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jessieyang)
Does anyone know which firms offer vac scheme to law students who are not in their penultimate year? I am doing a four-year degree now in my second year-going abroad next year. If I apply now, most firms won't accept me because I am not in my penultimate year. But if I apply after I got back from abroad,would that be too late. And also they only offer vac scheme to final year students if they are non-law student which means they might reject my application as well? Don't know what to do! ;( can anyone help?
You need to do some more research/enquiring with the firms you want to apply to.

Different firms will have different approaches to this:

- some will recruit you this year, and defer your placement
- some will recruit you this year and let you attend the vac scheme this upcoming summer
- some will say apply on your year abroad and they will conduct the assessments remotely (e.g Skype interviews)
Ambry
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jessieyang)
Does anyone know which firms offer vac scheme to law students who are not in their penultimate year? I am doing a four-year degree now in my second year-going abroad next year. If I apply now, most firms won't accept me because I am not in my penultimate year. But if I apply after I got back from abroad,would that be too late. And also they only offer vac scheme to final year students if they are non-law student which means they might reject my application as well? Don't know what to do! ;( can anyone help?
Where are you going abroad? I am on my third year abroad right now and I am applying for vacation schemes. Most firms tend to offer vacation schemes to people in their third year if they are doing a four year degree (the penultimate year) so I think your best bet would be to apply when you are actually on exchange, unless you are so far from London or wherever you are applying that you cannot fly home. Even if this is the case, many firms would offer you a skype or telephone interview if you are a good enough candidate.
Pakos1993
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by User20906)
Hi guys,

I achieved a basic 2.2 in my first year. But managed to secure a vacation scheme at Watson, Farley & Williams in my second year.

The trick is to apply early, make your extra curriculars look impressive and really highlight transferable skills from previous work experience.

Hope that helps

Good afternoon, I'm very interested in this firm and I have the same problem you had. I had two 2:1s, two 2:2s and one third and my overall is 57. What do you propose me do? I'm really disappointed cause I expected at least a low 2:1 overall but studying law at queen Mary isn't that easy after all.
Alevel_Stress
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
All of you who applied to vacation schemes, did you have top A levels? I haven't received good A levels, but do I have a chance of getting a vacation scheme?
Thanks
Yameen98
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Alevel_Stress)
All of you who applied to vacation schemes, did you have top A levels? I haven't received good A levels, but do I have a chance of getting a vacation scheme?
Thanks
My GCSE’s and A-Levels were disastrous, like really really disastrous.

I achieved 60% overall in my first year overall at Coventry (yeah I know, missed out on my offer to read Law at UoB) and am now in my second year. Been rejected by Freshfields and Macfarlanes - probably because of my poor grades pre-Uni and the fact that I study at Coventry.

I have no idea what to do.

What was your A-Levels and first year-grades? Also if you don’t mind, where do u read Law?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed