Applying to USA university Watch

This discussion is closed.
lgs98jonee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Has anyone tried or imvestigated applying to a University in the USA? Any tips of helpful advice would be much appreciated :-)
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
All I know is:

You have to take the American SAT, which could be a hassle.
Except Yale, which will accept Alevels, see: http://www.yale.edu/admit/international/index.html

It's very hard to get financial suppot for such a thing, so unless you're loaded, or know of some scheme, it's not really possible.
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think u have to do SAT for all colleges......but u are able to substitue COMPLETED OFFICIAL A level results for SAt2....so to do this u would have to do a gap year as u get your results in june...and they need to be have been recieved by feb........the SAT are not to bad....a score of about 1400 is good for international candidates with straight As at A level.....sat2 subject tests arent hard if u do A levels in those subject areas....i wouldnt recommend what i did which was to just try and do them with no preperation......coz then u end up with **** scores.....most unis require 3 sat2....with one in either Enlish writing or History.........and one in either Maths IICand Maths IC....the IIC is harder and is only important when pursuing engineering courses.....the other sat2 usually has to be a science......

btw i have applied to 5 unis in the US.....after doing satI and sat2 in writing, maths IC and chem.....
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by matouwah)
i think u have to do SAT for all colleges......but u are able to substitue COMPLETED OFFICIAL A level results for SAt2....so to do this u would have to do a gap year as u get your results in june...and they need to be have been recieved by feb........the SAT are not to bad....a score of about 1400 is good for international candidates with straight As at A level.....sat2 subject tests arent hard if u do A levels in those subject areas....i wouldnt recommend what i did which was to just try and do them with no preperation......coz then u end up with **** scores.....most unis require 3 sat2....with one in either Enlish writing or History.........and one in either Maths IICand Maths IC....the IIC is harder and is only important when pursuing engineering courses.....the other sat2 usually has to be a science......

btw i have applied to 5 unis in the US.....after doing satI and sat2 in writing, maths IC and chem.....
Which unis?
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Which unis?
NYU....upenn......MIT.....columb ia....and michigan...
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Cool, any news?

Good luck.
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Cool, any news?

Good luck.
nope.....the deadline was 1st for MIT UPENN and columbia....i sent NYU application yesterday and still have michigan to send...deaadline is 1st of feb.........i think i will get my decisions on 1st of may......thanx....
kosine90
Report 16 years ago
hi =) I also applied to several universities in US. yes, i guess SAT 1 is required. It has 2 sections, math (which is very easy) and verbal (it tests your vocabs and reading skills). SAT 2's are usually required by the more competitive schools.

matouwah: i also applied to MIT and columbia! not sure if i can get in though.. Especially for MIT, i guess i just applied there for fun. What major are you thinking of?
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kosine90)
hi =) I also applied to several universities in US. yes, i guess SAT 1 is required. It has 2 sections, math (which is very easy) and verbal (it tests your vocabs and reading skills). SAT 2's are usually required by the more competitive schools.

matouwah: i also applied to MIT and columbia! not sure if i can get in though.. Especially for MIT, i guess i just applied there for fun. What major are you thinking of?
yeah.....i wont get into Upenn, MIT or columbia....i am hoping for michigan...i plan to do a double major in engineering and economics.......how were your SAT and SAT2 scores?
kosine90
Report 16 years ago
my highest sat 1 math is 780, verbal 630. i had 790's in physics and math, and 700's in chem and writing; how about you?
yeah.....i wont get into Upenn, MIT or columbia....i am hoping for michigan...i plan to do a double major in engineering and economics.......how were your SAT and SAT2 scores?
(but... let's hope we can get in!)
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kosine90)
my highest sat 1 math is 780, verbal 630. i had 790's in physics and math, and 700's in chem and writing; how about you?

(but... let's hope we can get in!)
700 in math and 630 in eng for sat1........720 in chem...and uhmm 680 in maths IC.....and i will leave out my sat2 writing score....lets hope they look at my a levels a bit more than my sat1 and sat2 scores...what are u predicted for IBs?
emma_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There is a similar forum to this one, but for Americans on this website which wass very very helpful to me when I was thinking about applying.
http://www.collegeconfidential.com

There is also an English organisation with a lot of information which is there to help English people apply to American colleges. There is a place in london which a libruary and info, and you can meet the people for free help. There is also a lot of information on their website: http://www.fulbright.co.uk/eas/study...ate/index.html [you'd better use it because I spent aggggeeesss trying to find that site again] And you can email or phone them and they will answer any question you have.

Hope that helps
viciouscircle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
does it cost a lot to go to an american uni or is ther sum kind of grant scheme about?
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I have a friend that applied to Columbia, Michigan and NYU!!! She hated having to do all the admin.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was thinking about it, but I wanted to be a university student rather than a university employee (I would have had to go on a tennis scholarship to pay for it). I think liberal arts does suit some people more though, it all depends on what you from uni life I think.
shunooh
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
I have a friend that applied to Columbia, Michigan and NYU!!! She hated having to do all the admin.
yeah......it's a lot of work
kosine90
Report 16 years ago
yeah... US schools are really expensive Most of the good schools' tuition fees are around $20,000 to $30,000 per year (can be up to $50,000 including travel, etc [according to my parents ]). it's harder to get a financial aid for international students (...it's harder to get accepted if you want financial aids).

matouwah: 6/7 for HL chem, 6/7 for HL maths, but i dont know about my other subjects. I'm not taking full diploma though, just certificates.

just to add to emma_'s links... www.princetonreview.com is also quite useful. they also have a forum: discuss.princetonreview.com (sometimes the people there talk about unrelated stuff though)

what i find 'annoying' about US schools is that they all have their own applications and personal statement questions. although there is a 'common application', each school still has a different supplementary form.

=)
Kyrotec
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Can someone summarise how you would go about applying to the university rather than giving a link plz. Any info would be much appreciated.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lgs98jonee)
Has anyone tried or imvestigated applying to a University in the USA? Any tips of helpful advice would be much appreciated :-)
Americans hold Oxbridge extremely highly, perhaps more highly than Harvard.

This can be summarised in an amusing quote from an episode of Frasier:

Clint Webber: Harvard? Wow! I was dying to go to Harvard.
Frasier: Well, I'm sure the school you went to was just as good.
Clint: I went to Oxford.
Frasier: Oh, well, even better.

J.
Lurker
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
Americans hold Oxbridge extremely highly, perhaps more highly than Harvard.
This can be summarised in an amusing quote from an episode of Frasier:
Clint Webber: Harvard? Wow! I was dying to go to Harvard.
Frasier: Well, I'm sure the school you went to was just as good.
Clint: I went to Oxford.
Frasier: Oh, well, even better.
J.
Hee, I love Frasier. But I read somewhere that American's are usually more impressed with Oxford than Cambridge, because of Rhodes scholars, and because they think of Cambridge in Massachusettes when people say Cambridge. ( :mad: ... someone should tell them it's easily as good as Oxford!)

There was an article today in the Times about how Ivy League Universities are now attracting more students from over here. If you're interested, go to http://www.timesonline.co.uk and search for 'Ivy League' then pick the first story listed.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.57%
No (239)
33.43%

Watched Threads