The Student Room Group

A-Level grades BCC, now what?

Hi guys, i need advice basically i got BCC in my A-level results is it worth doing any retakes or can i get into a decent universities with this grade?

i know it's hard to define decent but i speaking generally in the top 70 rated in the Times 2011 guide or the completeuniversityguide.

i have 300 ucas points including an AS-Level, but have been said that some uni's won't except this AS-Level in the UCAS points.

Thing is i got solid C's in my history modules and only a B in one exam so retaking them would probably mean alot of work. If retook i'd be going for BBC, but is it worth re-taking for the hassle of an extra 20 points?

I'm finding all this so hard to decide and the pressure from friends etc.
fml.

thank you for all the help it's appreciated big time!
Reply 1
I got into Newcastle Uni with BCD :cool:

So you'll be fine.
You can get into a few universities with BCC, what degree were you planning to take?
Reply 3
scriggy

So you'll be fine.

Good on you! What course did you take!? You must have absolutely smashed the interview and your personal statement!
Reply 4
Bektas
You can get into a few universities with BCC, what degree were you planning to take?

Something like Joint honours Media and History, but i've been moving to thinking of doing something like Law which is why i'm most worried as it tends to be about 300 UCAS points.

fml.
Reply 5
BCC isn't that bad. If your grades worry you that much, why not retake Year 13, and put your A Level grades as pending? Were your AS results any better?
Reply 6
I couldn't go back to year 13, never ever. haha that's something i'll never do, my college was over 20 miles away from me!

If i apply for a course that is 300 UCAS points and i have 300 UCAS points (including an AS-Level) in total will do you think i stand a fair chance of getting in?
Why not ring round some admissions tutors at the unis that appeal to you and see what advice they can give you. You might be pleasantly surprised. They are real people!
Reply 8
You can do a fair few things with BCC.
Honestly, getting into Law with those grades wont be that easy. I havent got any helpful advise, but good luck
Reply 10
That's exactly like me. I got BCC (I was one mark away from an A in english *mad*)
I'm taking a Gap year, resitting a few modules and travelling! I'm jetting off the the Big Apple in a couple weeks. Gap yah's rule! I completely missed my grades for southampton to do biomed (I initially wanted to do medicine but got 4 no's). I broke down during A2's and didn't as well as I hoped. What's worse, people got amazing grades and got into the unis of their choice..So I totally understand where you're coming from.

I say: don't sell yourself short, resit some modules and aim to achieve higher grades, that way, you can definately apply to top uni's for 2011. Also, apply to ones that require the grades you already have. You got respectable grades, uni's like Keele, Aderdeen, Essex, Hull will be happy to take you on.
I wish you all the best, chin up son :smile:
Reply 11
Meow-wow
Good on you! What course did you take!? You must have absolutely smashed the interview and your personal statement!

Environmental Science. (so not a popular one :p: ) Entry requirements were ABC.

I was a local student as well, so i think that helped.

...and my personal statement was awesome :biggrin:
Meow-wow
-

I got BCC and I'm going to Aberdeen - they are a very good uni considering the entry requirements. Although I gather they've upped their entry to BBB... Point being, there are good universities that have low entry requirements, you just have to look for them.
Reply 13
Don't sell yourself short, but think realistically about the course you want to do. I'm not a Law student, but I've heard from a variety of sources that you need to go to a very good university with high entry requirements to have any chance of a career after uni.

You will have a much greater chance of getting onto a good Media course with those grades. Consider Aberdeen; possibly Kent?
Reply 14
Hei I would like to ask you how did you get in that university and in which feild with those grades. Because I have the same grades and I would really like to know thank you
A good place to check is www.whatuni.com

If you enter a subject name and Enter you will get a long list of possible Unis, and you can then add A level grades or tarrif points as a filter. You'll still need to check the specific subjects/grades plus any GCSE requirements etc on the individual Uni courses pages.

Btw, you are leaving it very late for an application if you havn't even decided what you want to study. The deadline for 'equal consideration' is 6pm 15 January - and it sounds like you havn't got a PS ready or a referee lined up.

PS. Two other good websites for alternatives to Uni (or 'something to do' until you put in a more considered UCAS application for 2015 entry) :
www.notgoingtouni.co.uk - for other courses, apprenticeships etc.
https://jobs.civilservice.gov.uk/company/nghr/jobs.cgi - includes entry level jobs only needing A levels.
Original post by scriggy

So you'll be fine.

Hey there, I've go a conditional for ABB from Newcastle, but I feel like i did pretty bad in one of my courses so im looking at coming out with ABD/ABE, think I have a chance mate ?
Original post by SirProcrastinate
Hey there, I've go a conditional for ABB from Newcastle, but I feel like i did pretty bad in one of my courses so im looking at coming out with ABD/ABE, think I have a chance mate ?

I honestly couldn't tell you, sorry. I don't know if you realised but I posted that nearly 4 years ago now :tongue:.

I think what stood in my favour at the time was the fact I was a local student, and I know Newcastle and Northumbria give a lot of leeway to locals. (Or at least they did a few years ago!) I remember being a bit reserved about my grades because most of my course mates were ABB students and I suppose I felt a bit out of my depth to an extent.

It doesn't have a happy ending either because I dropped out after first year and am currently working in retail. I'm a bit of a walking cautionary tale tbh.
Original post by scriggy
I honestly couldn't tell you, sorry. I don't know if you realised but I posted that nearly 4 years ago now :tongue:.

I think what stood in my favour at the time was the fact I was a local student, and I know Newcastle and Northumbria give a lot of leeway to locals. (Or at least they did a few years ago!) I remember being a bit reserved about my grades because most of my course mates were ABB students and I suppose I felt a bit out of my depth to an extent.

It doesn't have a happy ending either because I dropped out after first year and am currently working in retail. I'm a bit of a walking cautionary tale tbh.

I noticed the date, I just feel rather uneasy because of my one psychology exam and the next which ive barely revised for. I suppose that should be somewhat good news as im a Whitechapel local and Queen Mary is near there, but being realistic about it somewhat hurts my hopes lol. I've just had lots of missed lessons due to a physical illness, will they accept such a problem inspite of having grades like ABD ?

Nonetheless, I hope everything works out for you at work and such.
Original post by SirProcrastinate
I noticed the date, I just feel rather uneasy because of my one psychology exam and the next which ive barely revised for. I suppose that should be somewhat good news as im a Whitechapel local and Queen Mary is near there, but being realistic about it somewhat hurts my hopes lol. I've just had lots of missed lessons due to a physical illness, will they accept such a problem inspite of having grades like ABD ?

Nonetheless, I hope everything works out for you at work and such.

I know I didn't really phrase it that way but everything worked out alright for me in the end lol. But yeah, I really couldn't tell you if they'd give leeway like that. I guess it would depend on how heavily subscribed the course is and stuff like that.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending