Just ate a pizza which is five days past its use by! :|

Watch this thread
The Stig
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I just ate a cheese and tomato pizza (frozen) and realised when throwing the box out the use by was 29 Sep!

How bad is this?

Anyone else done anything similar? I'm worried now as I'm ill as it is and have missed the last two days of uni!
-beads-
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
Was it frozen?

If frozen, should be fine.

If not, take some sort of meds or go to see doctor.

'ill' could be freshers flu, etc.

Hope you get well soon.
nelg-o-pad
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
It was frozen so I seriously doubt it would do you any harm, things can generally be kept frozen for a little while after their use by date.

The worst thing that will happen is that they lose their flavour or texture.

I've eaten things that were frozen past their use by date loads of times and never got ill from it.
.Scout.
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Thats fine. I always do that and im not dead...yet.
qasman
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
wow, really? i mean if it didn't have maggots crawling over it or it wasn't covered in mould then you have nothing to be worried about. you do realise that date is general, i mean it doesn't mean that at midnight on the 30th september it jus suddenly became fatal to eat that pizza.
~*AsmaAttack*~
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
you should be alright if it was frozen.
The Stig
Rep:
It was frozen, yeah. Why I am worried is because it was a 'use by' as oppose to 'best before'.
Dogatonic
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
It should be fine if the box hadn't been opened beforehand and you reheated the pizza thoroughly. I've done this before with frozen dumplings and I was fine--I didn't even realise until someone told me. Food manufacturers tend to put conservative use by dates to avoid being sued and there are probably preservatives in the pizza anyway.

Oh well, there's nothing to do now but wait and see...
Dionysia
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
If it was frozen, it was fine, as long as it wasn't five years. Don't worry.
lasttoiletroll
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
huh so was it a pizza from the frozen section, or a fresh pizza you froze?
People never come back to these threads to let us know if they got food poisoning or not
Genocidal
Badges: 19
Report 11 years ago
You will now die.
Retrospect
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by qasman)
you do realise that date is general, i mean it doesn't mean that at midnight on the 30th september it jus suddenly became fatal to eat that pizza.
Lol this.

I know so many people who are overly paranoid about use by dates - in that they would literally rather go hungry! Saying that, my mum did buy a can of something a couple of months ago that expired in '07. :rofl:
The Stig
Rep:
(Original post by lasttoiletroll)
huh so was it a pizza from the frozen section, or a fresh pizza you froze?
People never come back to these threads to let us know if they got food poisoning or not
It was a frozen pizza.

The reason people don't come back is, I don't know if you've had food poisioning, but you quite literally cannot move for five days! :p: After that you just want to forget about it.
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Best draw up your will.
buyingtheticket
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by TheSownRose)
Best draw up your will.
Beaten to it :rolleyes:
fire2burn
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
It'll be fine, earlier on today I ate a yoghurt which was past its use by date and I'm only partially paralysed because of it. You might get lucky and only lose a foot or something.
lasttoiletroll
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by The Stig)
It was a frozen pizza.

The reason people don't come back is, I don't know if you've had food poisioning, but you quite literally cannot move for five days! :p: After that you just want to forget about it.
Haha I know I've had it :yep:

Man it must have been in your freezer for ages. Weird I never check frozen food dates even though I always check fridge food since I learnt the hard way!
unborn-soul
Report 11 years ago
You'll be fine
Ewan
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by fire2burn)
It'll be fine, earlier on today I ate a yoghurt which was past its use by date and I'm only partially paralysed because of it. You might get lucky and only lose a foot or something.
I once ate yoghurt that was 2 months out of date & it was fine. Sometimes you get lucky :p:

OP best not to listen to use by dates. If it tastes OK then it almost undoubtedly is. Use your taste buds, that's what they're for. Some items are worse than others, milk for instance doesn't generally survive much past the date on the carton.

As for freezing, generally they suggest maximum of 1 month, 3 months for some products. Although I've gone way over that suggestion before.
Sir_Vile_Minds
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
O noes! Yur goin 2 be dead tomoz frm eating da rotten pizzah.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (52)
15.95%
The paper was reasonable (163)
50%
Not feeling great about that exam... (80)
24.54%
It was TERRIBLE (31)
9.51%

Watched Threads