The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Pikies

Right, some questions about pikies. I need serious answers here. :p:

A) Do most live in caravans and do those caravans mostly have electricity?
B) Do many/any have the internet?
C) Would the government provide enough funding for them to attend university?
D) How poor are they usually?

Thanks. :wink2:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes especially the ones that are based on sites
some do some dont
Yes same as everyone else
TBH i havent meet a poor one yet, the site near us has 20yr old ish lads driving of in ranger rovers and porsche all the time

BTW call them travelers as 90% arent like the steriotypical piky
Reply 2
brokenangel
Yes especially the ones that are based on sites
some do some dont
Yes same as everyone else
TBH i havent meet a poor one yet, the site near us has 20yr old ish lads driving of in ranger rovers and porsche all the time

BTW call them travelers as 90% arent like the steriotypical piky

Thanks for the reply. Do you know a traveler well then? And don't some stay in the same towns/sites for years, in which case why call them a traveler?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
they're called gypsies/gypos
There's some near me that ride around on a tiny little pony (which looks half dead) which pulls a cart full of them. It's really quite sad to see.
Reply 5
Bunch of Jippos
Reply 6
r u dizzy blud? xx
Reply 7
Why do you need to know?
Reply 8
humidex7
Why do you need to know?

If you need to know to answer the questions then don't answer them. :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Sithius

LMFAO this made me laugh! :teehee:
Reply 10
Also don't insult them as they will glass you in the face.
Reply 11
Sithius

Yeah they are not cavemen

Yeah dongles and wifi

They recieve the same funding as everybody else

Most are fairly well off they have huge work ethics

And yeah I agree with the other person they are called travellers or gypsies and pikey is an offensive term. And the reason many don't travel is the world has changed they can't just set up anywhere so many are stuck in the sites or travel to and from the same sites. What else do you want to know? Travellers come and stay at my mum and dads farm during the season and I have lived with many travellers and they have lived with me. If it's some uni project or something I can probably help!? :wink:
Why do you care ????
I guess you get really bad groups of them, and not so bad groups.

I know some of them broke into our house when I was three and stole my moneybox. The "pikeys" you're referring to are Irish Travellers as opposed to Romani-gypsies. There is a difference.
Reply 14
Adidas90
They dont just stay on sites, how naive can you actually be? Right now there are literally thousands of them tearing up someone else's private land, and leaving it an absolute bombsite. You think the fact that they can't just set up anywhere stops them? If you'd grown up where I have, and had to endure them making every empty piece of land look like some kind of festival had taken place on it, and see them crawling through neighbourhoods in their beaten up transit vans eyeing up anything they can come back and steal in the dead of the night, sending their foul-mouthed illiterate barely-10-years-old children into supermarkets to steal things (I've literally seen it all, it's a daily occurance, a part of life) you'd have the same contempt I do.

I am not naive of course some set up anywhere but I was answering the question why don't they travel and most don't travel because they can't set up anywhere the ones that do like you said are a minority. And gypsies shouldn't steal it is completely against their culture. There children shouldn't even mix with other kids full stop so the people you are tlaking about aren't really gypsies at all they are simply scummers who live in caravans!
Pheylan
they're called gypsies/gypos

This
Reply 16
My dad owns a pet shop and there is literally just a little dead end private road with a bit of grass just outside it. This is where all our customers park However a couple of years ago we arrived to work one morning and there were three caravans outside. My dad tried asking them to leave, they refused. Throughout the dad a further 4 caravans arrived. Within the week we were burgled and the place trashed. My Dad went mad and the police were called. The police said the couldn't move them so they were there for another month. We lost loads of trade and we had to pay someone to stay in the shop overnight. The mess they left behind was awful, nappies, tyres just general mess. We had to pay someone to clean the area.

This said there is an authorised camp about five minutes from the shop and we never have a problem with them. They often come in and most are quite nice and polite.
Sithius

Yes, a lot live in caravans. They have electricity, some even have showers. Some travellers now live in chalets also, but these tend to be progressive ones.
Some do, some don’t. The older generation of travellers don’t tend to be able to read and write. The younger generations tend to go to school therefore are around these new technologies.
I would think so, yes
I’ve never met a poor traveller. Most have their own sorts of businesses (well the men do) while the women sometimes do hawking but they generally stay at home. I tend to see a lot with new transit vans a lot :dontknow:

EDIT: I should probably add also, if you're doing research on travellers, then I have a bit of knowledge on the subject :yep: so feel free to ask me anything.
(edited 13 years ago)
I know of one police officer who, after a raid on a pikie site found the caravan that was stolen from him a few months previously. That a few a other stolen vans.

Yup. Them there pikies aren't too popular in these parts.
Reply 19
I know a girl who's a pikey. She's effed up mentally man.

Latest

Trending

Trending