Turn on thread page Beta

Driving watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how old you have to be to have driving lessons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    17 years of age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sza)
    17 years of age.
    Unless you want to drive a tractor, in which case it is 16. By the way, if you're 17 and have your driving liscence, can you drive abroad in France, or do you have to be 18?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meepmeep)
    Unless you want to drive a tractor, in which case it is 16. By the way, if you're 17 and have your driving liscence, can you drive abroad in France, or do you have to be 18?
    I believe you have to drive for three years before you can drive abroad. That might of been changed though due to e.u rules but I def know it still applies to non e.u

ReputationRep:
    Nah, its not three years, you just have to wait until youre 18. You have to be 21 before you can rent cars abroad though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    Find some private land, drive now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Nah, its not three years, you just have to wait until youre 18. You have to be 21 before you can rent cars abroad though.
    That would make more sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    I started learning to drive when I was 13. If you drive on private land, it is legal, with the land owners permisson so, if you are younger than 17 this could be an option if say one of your parents would be willing to teach like mine did. I only had 6 lessons before I passed so it was very usueful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    16 Years and 9 Months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    I started learning to drive when I was 13. If you drive on private land, it is legal, with the land owners permisson so, if you are younger than 17 this could be an option if say one of your parents would be willing to teach like mine did. I only had 6 lessons before I passed so it was very usueful!
    Why? Driving isnt particularly fun, it gets you from A to B. I dont see why everyone wants to start driving early. I started learning on my 17th birthday and 11 lessons and 3 months later I passed. Driving at 13, is, pointless.

ReputationRep:
    can't you get a provisional license when you're 16 and start learning then?

ReputationRep:
    Why? Driving isnt particularly fun, it gets you from A to B. I dont see why everyone wants to start driving early. I started learning on my 17th birthday and 11 lessons and 3 months later I passed. Driving at 13, is, pointless.
    I have to agree with you there. I've had my licence for 2 years and I still don't drive. It's just far too expensive and pointless really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londongirl)
    can't you get a provisional license when you're 16 and start learning then?
    Thats what youre supposed to do.

ReputationRep:
    Don't your parents ever give you a bit of time behind the wheel at 13-14??? I mean my folks did, and even worse there is this 15yr old at work who actually convinced his parents to let him drive to and from work. Despite the legal age for a provisional license standing at 17 years of age.

ReputationRep:
    It can cost anything from £200 - £2000 depending on how many lessons you have and how many times you take your tests. Then a car with insurance is going to cost £3000 minimum(usually). Road tax, petrol, etc, probably whacks on another £1000 per year. When you actually start driving, youll realise how gay it is, and how much money it costs, and how badly you just want to get it over and done with. If youre one of these 16 year olds dying to get in a car, then dont be, its just one big anti-climax

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Don't your parents ever give you a bit of time behind the wheel at 13-14??? I mean my folks did, and even worse there is this 15yr old at work who actually convinced his parents to let him drive to and from work. Despite the legal age for a provisional license standing at 17 years of age.
    We don't have much open spaces, and those who do don't often have a car availabe to be raped by their children.

ReputationRep:
    15 and a half..........oh wait that's in Texas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776 2)
    We don't have much open spaces, and those who do don't often have a car availabe to be raped by their children.
    lol, raped by children eh? I like that. But pictures of my mates father telling him that if he dares to **** the car up in any way, then he had best go suck up to his grandparents to move in do come flooding back

ReputationRep:
    It can cost anything from £200 - £2000 depending on how many lessons you have and how many times you take your tests. Then a car with insurance is going to cost £3000 minimum(usually). Road tax, petrol, etc, probably whacks on another £1000 per year. When you actually start driving, youll realise how gay it is, and how much money it costs, and how badly you just want to get it over and done with. If youre one of these 16 year olds dying to get in a car, then dont be, its just one big anti-climax
    Fully comp car insurance for under 21s is normally 1000+ per year and third party isnt that much cheaper, the best thing to do is to get your parents to take out a policy and be a named driver on it for a couple of years then if you have been driving for a couple of years without any accidents car insurance gets a lot cheaper. Road tax is 120 ish now for the year ( could be more cant remember) alone and then petrol you are going to be putting in at least £25 per month I do anyway and I hardly drive at all. Then you've got to service and MOT your car if you have an older car. Believe me it costs a small fortune.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.