This discussion is closed.
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
Fully comp car insurance for under 21s is normally 1000+ per year and third party isnt that much cheaper, the best thing to do is to get your parents to take out a policy and be a named driver on it for a couple of years then if you have been driving for a couple of years without any accidents car insurance gets a lot cheaper. Road tax is 120 ish now for the year ( could be more cant remember) alone and then petrol you are going to be putting in at least £25 per month I do anyway and I hardly drive at all. Then you've got to service and MOT your car if you have an older car. Believe me it costs a small fortune.
indeed, you spend some on paperwork, you spend loads on lessons, loads on the test(s), then you buy a car (£££!!!), pay god knows how much on insurance, pay the vat on the car, buy some petrol, pay the tax on the petrol, buy a tax disk, get an mot.....

then they want you to get the bus :confused:
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My insurance is £520 and I'm over 21 and I get a special deal. i still know people my age with bigger cars than me who have been driving for a while whos insurance is well over a grand its ridiculous.
Also on older cars you have the price of frequent repairs. I had a car which was R reg which isnt that old and in the time that I had it (less than a year) I had to pay over £500 in repairs and ended up getting rid of it because the gear box went.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Why? Driving isnt particularly fun, it gets you from A to B. I dont see why everyone wants to start driving early. I started learning on my 17th birthday and 11 lessons and 3 months later I passed. Driving at 13, is, pointless.
Maybe for some but for me it was essential. My family own a lot of land and to get from A to B on that land I hand to take the Land Rover. Driving on roads is boring, agreed.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My first car cost £650, fully comp insurance having had my licence for 3 months and being 19 cost £750.

Second year it was down to £600 third year £450 (although for that yr I downgraded to 3rd party fire and theft because the car was at a point were any serious damage would write it off anyway). Then I upgraded my car again (from a G reg Metro to an L reg Astra) and it's stayed at about £450 (back onto fully comp and with an extra driver and a high milage limit).

In May I'll have my full 5 yrs no claims bonus which I'll be insuring.

I never saw the point of learning to drive until I moved down south...and it was the third best investment I've ever made (1st being degree 2nd being house - and the difference between them is very close).
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
does the insurance vary with the size of teh car engine that you drive?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
does the insurance vary with the size of teh car engine that you drive?
To some extent - it mainly varies with insurance group - which is a thing insurers use to look at the costs of repairing the car * the liklihood of it being stolen/crashed. My 1.1l metro was cheaper than my 1.4l Astra but not by that much considering one was good for nothing but scrap and the other worth just over £1000.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (228)
61.29%
Yes- I don't like it (16)
4.3%
No- I want it (103)
27.69%
No- I don't want it (25)
6.72%

Watched Threads