This discussion is closed.
Falguni
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
do u find it easier to sometimes explain things verbally than write it down?

i can sometimes explain concepts to other people but can have trouble trying to write essays on the same topic because i get stuck on the exact phrases to use.

wouldnt it be better if exams could be changed so that you had the choice of having a verbal exam?

in the real world, how often are you actually going to have to write essays under timed conditions - rarely.

but the nmber of times you may have to explain your ideas or take part in meetings or carry out impromptu presentations is much higher

so shouldnt we have a choice on how to be examined?
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A good idea, but tis going to take a one to one approach in exam style and that will be expensive. Think of it as every hour you can do one pupil, but everyone needs to be done in teh same time otherwise elads to cheating etc. So not feasible.
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I agree with the bit about not writing essays in the real world, but i prefer writing essays,
Falguni
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2776 2)
A good idea, but tis going to take a one to one approach in exam style and that will be expensive. Think of it as every hour you can do one pupil, but everyone needs to be done in teh same time otherwise elads to cheating etc. So not feasible.
yeah i guess you are right about the cheating part and the fact that it would be time comsuming.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
I agree with the bit about not writing essays in the real world, but i prefer writing essays,
i think it depends on the subject. If it was english u couldn't be verbal, it's more essay based, where they can easily assess your writing skill and how coherent you are expressing your ideas.
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776 2)
Dunno how that could be done, as you would need way too many teachers, or it would take way too much time. In subjects like english you have orals, where you can discuss. Maybe in other subjects, they could have part of the coursework as being an oral discussion.
Falguni
Rep:
?
isnt it really anonnying when you work hard all year and there are other ppl who do hardly a thing and then they end up dpoong just as well as you in the exams?!?

yeah i think you should have a choice to do part of your exam verbally. obviously writing essays and doing timed written exams is also important and a verbal 'exam' would not be appropriate for subjects such as sciences and maths.

what about having a part of the grade determined by classs participation or our class work - although this might be subjective as teachers may favour some students over others

all im trying to say is that is it really fair that your life map is determined by how you perform on a single day in an exam?
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Falguni)
isnt it really anonnying when you work hard all year and there are other ppl who do hardly a thing and then they end up dpoong just as well as you in the exams?!?

yeah i think you should have a choice to do part of your exam verbally. obviously writing essays and doing timed written exams is also important and a verbal 'exam' would not be appropriate for subjects such as sciences and maths.

what about having a part of the grade determined by classs participation or our class work - although this might be subjective as teachers may favour some students over others

all im trying to say is that is it really fair that your life map is determined by how you perform on a single day in an exam?
sorry but i dont agree.

exams are all about preparation, intelligence, knowledge and working under pressure.

this is how it is - and to be fair i agree with it.

and as for part of the grade depending on class work etc, that is just absolutely ridiculous - plus it couldnt be externally assessed anyway.

sorry, but if u dont do so well in exams then maybe u need to work harder or practise more - i dont mean it in a nasty way, but its like undermining the achievments of those who do well in exams just ebcause you didnt do so great.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

thats false.

to do well in an exam, u need to:

a.) be well prepared
b.) work well under some sort of presure.
c.) be intelligent, naturally bright etc.
d.) be confident and coherent.

if a person does well in an exam, then he/she deserves it.

and no, its not based on one exam on one day, its based on many exams, over years, with gaining qualifications step by step - along with other stuff.

those who do well deserve it.
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
thats false.

to do well in an exam, u need to:

a.) be well prepared
b.) work well under some sort of presure.
c.) be intelligent, naturally bright etc.
d.) be confident and coherent.

if a person does well in an exam, then he/she deserves it.

and no, its not based on one exam on one day, its based on many exams, over years, with gaining qualifications step by step - along with other stuff.

those who do well deserve it.
a) YES
b) YES
c) NO not at all.
d) YES

Please...exams don't test intelligence.
Falguni
Rep:
?
well personally i do just fine in exams. i was just wondering whether the way we are examined at the moment is fair on everyone.
Falguni
Rep:
?
(Original post by corey)
a) YES
b) YES
c) NO not at all.
d) YES

Please...exams don't test intelligence.
i agree. some exams can be passed with a good grade just by cramming in stuff at the last minute. so its not just about intelligence but about how good your memory is.
Falguni
Rep:
?
Oh and the bit about being intelligent and naturally bright, well I watched this programme about child prodigies a few days ago and they mentioned that Albert Einstein, one of the most intelligent people of the 20th century, was only 'good' at school, not 'very good'. Therefore, exams don't necessarily test intelligence.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh and the bit about being intelligent and naturally bright, well I watched this programme about child prodigies a few days ago and they mentioned that Albert Einstein, one of the most intelligent people of the 20th century, was only 'good' at school, not 'very good'. Therefore, exams don't necessarily test intelligence.

Yes, in fact Einstein's teachers told his parents he couldnt' do maths, or so I heard.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Yes, in fact Einstein's teachers told his parents he couldnt' do maths, or so I heard.
He couldnt do maths!

he left all of that to isaac newton for the time when he came around!
a_musical_guy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If he was only 'good' at school, why did he turn out to be a brainbox superstar?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (149)
60.57%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.47%
No- I want it (69)
28.05%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads