The Student Room Group

Music exams

For music grades (ABRSM etc) what do you put down for the centre name and number? At the moment I've just put 'Private'- will that be ok?

Also, when putting in the mark, will they expect the numerical marking or just whether it was Pass/merit/distinction? I'm not applying for Music, so I wouldn't have thought it would make too much of a difference, but am not sure whether there's some general consensus either way.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Your right it will make no difference other than showing universities that your into your music (which dont get me wrong is a good thing) just put private as centre name and number and whatever you were graded at and/or your pass / merit / distinction, it wont realy matter.
Reply 2
I put the actual grade on mine - but after finding out 'Distinction' was too big for the box, I shortened it to 'Dist'.
Reply 3
You're meant to put the mark, not whether you got merit/distinction etc.

Will the uni's know what each mark was out of?

For instance, for my grade 7 piano i got 123/150, and for my grade 5 theory i got 93/100, but i couldnt put what each exam was out of - so it just says 'piano - 123' and 'theory - 93'. That won't look like I've done really badly in my theory, will it?
Reply 4

well when I phoned up UCAS they said it didn't really matter, and because 130 could mean a different level of pass in one board than another, I put the pass level instead of the mark.
Reply 5
spoon1

No you are not. It doesn't matter. I applied for music and got in, on my form it only said grade whatever - merit etcetc. No marks mentioned
I put mine down and then when I got my offer from Reading it said at the bottom 'this points offer does not include music examinations'. lol, because I was expecting to get onto a math/phys course with grade 6 merit on flute...
Reply 7
I'm doing my grade 6 flute soon...but I don't know when. Shall I put it as pending? What month should I put? Or should I just not put it down at all?
Reply 8
put your last graded exam down, like if you did grade 5 put that down.

Latest

Trending

Trending