The Student Room Group

Medicine overrated and its annoying me.

Something thats really started to annoy me- and I want to know if anyone agrees - is how Medicine is way too overrated it terms of difficulty and workload. Chemistry and physics are almost always ignored when discussion arise and Med is always at the top. Now im not for one second suggesting Med is easy or just a "coast along" degree but the sheer inflation of it and that Maths, Chem and phys are ignored when they are probably just as hard really creams my corn.

If you hadnt guessed i'm a chemist (so a bit biased) but I cant be the only one annoyed with the idea that medics are always the most intelligent in society.

Thoughts?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You have too much time
Reply 2
Medics have to cut people open. Think of the guilt.
Who thinks medics are the most intelligent?

I think doctors have a huge amount of social responsibility and risk against them but I don't think of them as the 'most intelligent'.

Intelligence is subjective anyway.
Reply 4
They deal with people lives which is stressful it isn't a matter of intelligent or not just a fact of handling pressure and stress.
Reply 5
Aramiss18
Something thats really started to annoy me- and I want to know if anyone agrees - is how Medicine is way too overrated it terms of difficulty and workload. Chemistry and physics are almost always ignored when discussion arise and Med is always at the top.

I'm annoyed that people never mention engineering. Like you :p:

Medicine has long has this prestige and respect associated with it. It is considered to be a difficult course amongst the (largely poorly informed) pubic and, once graduated, medics are treating illness and even saving lives not to mention their earning potential. So of course it's always going to be respected.

Ask many medics if the course is hard and they'll too you that it's not the most challenging or difficult of courses beyond the workload.
I am not sure about difficulty but I do think that a medical degree means that you have to learn a lot and not only the theory behind it but also doing things. So I don't think medicine is overated there are other things that are overated like some sports.
Reply 7
River85

Medicine has long has this prestige and respect associated with it. It is considered to be a difficult course amongst the (largely poorly informed) pubic and, once graduated, medics are treating illness and even saving lives not to mention their earning potential. So of course it's always going to be respected.

Ask many medics if the course is hard and they'll too you that it's not the most challenging or difficult of courses beyond the workload.

teehee :P but we medics can spell :yep:
Reply 8
What annoys me that it is only the sciences which seem to denote the most intellegent in society, when essay subjects can have just the same workload, just directed to a diiffernt way of thinking and working

Though sciences are of course extremely hard too!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
River85

Believe me if I had offered more suggestions as to more difficult courses engineering was next :smile:
Reply 10
Anon1993
teehee :P but we medics can spell :yep:

lol. I have pubic hair on the mind.

Damn three year old Acer keyboard. Wouldn't make typos like that with my new laptop (so why am I using this one?)
Aramiss18
Something thats really started to annoy me- and I want to know if anyone agrees - is how Medicine is way too overrated it terms of difficulty and workload. Chemistry and physics are almost always ignored when discussion arise and Med is always at the top. Now im not for one second suggesting Med is easy or just a "coast along" degree but the sheer inflation of it and that Maths, Chem and phys are ignored when they are probably just as hard really creams my corn.

Bwahaha. :rofl: Sorry.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
I don't mind people saying medicine is the hardest degree, especially considering how ridiculously massive the workload and how busy the clinical stuff can be.

My actual problem is with the medicine students. I've met, at most, half a dozen medics in my time at uni who aren't stuck up or ridiculously cliquey.
Reply 13
Aramiss18

If you hadnt guessed i'm a chemist (so a bit biased) but I cant be the only one annoyed with the idea that medics are always the most intelligent in society.

Thoughts?

Don't you mean grinds my gears :awesome:

I don't really hear people saying that physics and maths etc. are easier, people just talk less about those degrees I guess :dontknow:
Aramiss18
Believe me if I had offered more suggestions as to more difficult courses engineering was next :smile:

Don't forget biosciences :p: There seems to be a notion that they're the 'easiest' of the sciences, but given the sheer volume of material to learn and the incredible complexity of some of the concepts and principles, it's rarely the case.
Belle_
What annoys me that it is only the sciences which seem to denote the most intellegent in society, when essay subjects can have just the same workload, just directed to a diiffernt way of thinking and working

Though sciences are of course extremely hard too!

But they don't.

No one's saying they're the most intellectually intelligent (medics would probably agree that the difficulty level of the content of their degree does not match that of say a physics degree), but they certainly deserve all the 'rating' they get.
Reply 16
I completely agree. If you say you're applying for medicine or doing the degree at uni people will reply something like: Aaaah :biggrin: ambitious! But if you say you want to do any other science the reply is something like: oh... ok. that's interesting.

Totally unfair...
Reply 17
What about business studies , comon im a business student and it is very hard

lol joke
Reply 18
I think one of the reasons medics are considered to be the 'most intelligent' is because it is so competitive to get in the first place. Once you're there the course itslef may not be that much harder than chemistry, maths etc, but it may be that because of the competitiveness the average 'intelligence' is higher. That's just based my own experiences and is not a definitive answer to the question as to why the degree itself is viewed with more prestige.
The doctor profession has the highest suicide rate of ANY other profession.
So... y'know... just thought I'd put that out there.

Latest

Trending

Trending