Expectations and criticism in the ME Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
In my honest opinion, it seems like Media and the public opinion are more criticall towards Israel actions than teh palestinians. What I mean with this is that there seems to be a tendency for people to defend palestinian actions whereas Israeli ones are usually cranked down on, even when they are quite similar in nature. As far as I can see there are three possible reasons for this.

1)Israel is a secularised democracy and the expectations are therefore more demanding. People simply expect less from teh PLO and thus the reactions are also more moderate.

2)Israel is stronger in terms of economy and military, and are also supported by the US. As the palestinians are in a weaker position people argue that the actions of teh PLO are more understandable than those of the Israeli government.

3)Public opinion currently states that Israel is the "bad" side and this causes people to WANT to beleive that Israeli actions are worse and that palestinian actions are more justified.

What do you think?
Kurdt Morello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh dear - i hope u arent going on the defensive too much after last night's skirmishes Jonatan. By the way i think u have answered ur own question and defeated whatever agenda u might intended to set on this topic - let's just forget this topic - its far too heavy at this time of the day
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
agree with kurdt
Jonatan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
Oh dear - i hope u arent going on the defensive too much after last night's skirmishes Jonatan. By the way i think u have answered ur own question and defeated whatever agenda u might intended to set on this topic - let's just forget this topic - its far too heavy at this time of the day
I hate to dissapoint you, but I do not have any hidden agenda behind this post. This is simply my views on the situation. You may have gotn the impression that I am an all pro-israel guy who will defend IDF policies to the very last word. I am not... Depending on who I argue with I can be either defensive or offensive in order to have a fruitfull discussion. I do have sever issues with the settlement policy, and had I been an Israeli citizen I would have voted for Mitzna rather than Sharon, however as I think most people here are already prepared to argue against Israeli foreign politics, I find it quite pointless for me to do so as well. I did answer my own question, what I want to know is whether people agree or disagree woth my views, and in case where the differences are...
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ok for ur sake i will agree with ur views OK? :confused:
Jonatan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
ok for ur sake i will agree with ur views OK? :confused:
No no, please say what YOU think. The point of a discussion is not to agree but to exchange views...
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmmm, perhaps some feeling of guilt over the way the mandate was handled all those years ago. The fact that Israel acts are the acts of a representative democracy are therefore reflect 'the will of the people' (to a certain extent). The Palestinians however are individual terrorist groups as such do not have the same legitimacy. Also, Israel are parties to things such as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, The Geneva Convention, and all manner of other international treaties and 'standards' whereas Hamas et all are not. The fact that Israeli's, in general enjoy a much better quality of life compared to their Palestinian neighbours also probably plays a role.
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
one lone suicide bomber blows up somewhere in israel.....the isreali army goes and blows up a few villages....
Jonatan
Rep:
?
(Original post by kildare)
Hmmm, perhaps some feeling of guilt over the way the mandate was handled all those years ago. The fact that Israel acts are the acts of a representative democracy are therefore reflect 'the will of the people' (to a certain extent). The Palestinians however are individual terrorist groups as such do not have the same legitimacy. Also, Israel are parties to things such as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, The Geneva Convention, and all manner of other international treaties and 'standards' whereas Hamas et all are not. The fact that Israeli's, in general enjoy a much better quality of life compared to their Palestinian neighbours also probably plays a role.
Well, I must say that the will of our government does not really represent the will of the people... I am quite certain that 90% of all israelis would not hesitate a second to remove the settlements if that could guarantee peace. When it comes to teh palestinians, the individuality of terrorist groups is questionable. Last time they did a survey 60% of the peopel said suecide atacks againt Israeli civilians were acceptable. Also, when you think about how well the government of your own country represent the will of the people (eg the iraq war) I wonder if it is not a bit hasty to say that the policy of Knesset is the will of teh Israelis. Otherwise I agree that Israel being a secularised democracy should act as one. However, one may also want to remember that it is sometimes quite difficult, if not impossible to deal with the counterpart, in this case the PLO, if they are completely unreliable.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (244)
61.93%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.57%
No- I want it (106)
26.9%
No- I don't want it (26)
6.6%

Watched Threads