Maths: An un-required leviathan of a subject? Watch

This discussion is closed.
clarity
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I think that maths has served it place in society, the levels to which people learn maths now, espcially with regard to jobs and actual everyday use are un neccesary. I think its much more important for the human race to concern itself with the issues of philosophy and the mind and study subjects that on an every day basis will help us more readily in the world we live e.g media etc.

In short, buy a calculator.
mikesgt2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by clarity)
I think that maths has served it place in society, the levels to which people learn maths now, espcially with regard to jobs and actual everyday use are un neccesary. I think its much more important for the human race to concern itself with the issues of philosophy and the mind and study subjects that on an every day basis will help us more readily in the world we live e.g media etc.

Since when has philosophy helped us to build bridges and skyscrapers?

I am not suggesting that the humanities play no part in life (I am studying history and philosophy and intend to carry on doing such subjects at uni), but to say maths plays no useful place in socitey is not correct.

I have already said that mathematics has huge importance for all types of engineering. But also, just at an everyday level, do you not think that for understanding finance a good grasp of mathematics is important and should be tought to a reasonable level. Persoanl finance is just one everyday example, I am sure there are more.
theone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The statement of somebody who has never done proper maths.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Look at his other posts, it is not a man of real substance. He is trying to make himself out to be mroe than he is.
clarity
(Original post by theone)

havent we like got enough skyscrapers etc?

Lots of skyscrapers------- people starving.

maybe some more philosophy is needed for a bit.
mikesgt2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
havent we like got enough skyscrapers etc?

Lots of skyscrapers------- people starving.

maybe some more philosophy is needed for a bit.
High level pure mathematics is very similar to philosophy in some ways. It is just as worthy of study as philosophy, and arguably more worthy of study given its contributions to science and engineering. However, education should not be judged upon its value for society; the cliche is 'education is an end in itself.'
Andrew_S
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by theone)
as opposed to "fake" maths.
clarity
In this world we live in, how can you say we should only educate for educations sake, how about we educate to save starving millions, then you can educate your middle class ass for your own sake?
Andrew_S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Wasn't the original post trying to initiate discussion into the role technology plays today in modern life and the subsequent substitutions that technology can make within industry. Do we need skilled engineers or mathematicians, when robots, machines and new technology are more capable (less human error), cost effective and efficient.
mikesgt2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Andrew_S)
Wasn't the original post trying to initiate discussion into the role technology plays today in modern life and the subsequent substitutions that technology can make within industry. Do we need skilled engineers or mathematicians, when robots, machines and new technology are more capable (less human error), cost effective and efficient.
Where do you think technology comes from? Not from philosophers, that's for sure.
clarity
(Original post by mikesgt2)
Where do you think technology comes from? Not from philosophers, that's for sure.

you could argue that your numbers are just man made constructs and thus a philosophical creation.

Perhaps, im not.
Andrew_S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My original post made no mention of philosophers, I do however think humans will become redundant in jobs which rquire high levels or maths, since machines are so much more efficient. Creativity however can never be replaced by technology, in my opinion anyway.
mikesgt2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
you could argue that your numbers are just man made constructs and thus a philosophical creation.

Perhaps, im not.
The notation of number is certainly a manmade construct. However, a concept of number is intuitive.
clarity
The notation of number is certainly a manmade construct. However, a concept of number is intuitive.
pretty sweeping statement there boyo, do back it up.
Darkness
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

clarity, you're dumb.
clarity
Again, superb use of language, technical proficiency with reagrd to tackling the subject in a logical fashion-excellent, all over coming to grips with the situation in an intelligent and mature way- stunning.

Overall ten out of ten

ISO Jack
Report 15 years ago
u guys r funny,,, lol
we're here to voice opinions ,,,not to insult other ppl
havin sed that,,,ur all ********s...jk jk
i studied both philosophy and maths a-levels,,, and maths was more stimulating but then that was bcos the philosophy syllabus is so ****

neway,, i have to say im with clarity on this one.....y do we need sky scrapers indeed
or bridges,,,heh just boat across,,,or dont go across :P
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%