username537823
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you could help me? I have done my GCSE Maths in yr 10 and achieved an a*, and i have recently recognised that there is a gcse by the name of Statistics. Is this a good gcse, (I definitely know I can achieve an a* in it), and will it help my application to colleges and universities. thank you in advance.
emma363
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can't help but feel the "I definitely know I can achieve an a* in it" makes you sound a bit cocky, but anyways if you can get an A* why not?

Oh and 3 out of about 50 people got an A* in my school in it
username537823
Rep:
?
(Original post by emma363)
I can't help but feel the "I definitely know I can achieve an a* in it" makes you sound a bit cocky, but anyways if you can get an A* why not?

Oh and 3 out of about 50 people got an A* in my school in it
haha it is because I have read the syllabus and it is definitely easy. but my question is, is it worth the time?
jiemanm10
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yes you should do it , its an easy gcse to get a good grade in and looks good on your record! nearly everyone in my class got A*
emma363
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sreddy17)
haha it is because I have read the syllabus and it is definitely easy. but my question is, is it worth the time?
Depends really, if you're planning to do maths A level next year it might help in statistics moduals? Or if you want to do something maths/science related? or if you're only doing 8/9 or less GCSES (not that there's anything wrong with 8/9)

but If not I wouldn't bother, alot of people at my school HATED it and the courseworks a *****. I liked it but i'm weird

So in conclusion:
If you like maths: yes
If you don't: no
username537823
Rep:
?
(Original post by jiemanm10)
yes you should do it , its an easy gcse to get a good grade in and looks good on your record! nearly everyone in my class got A*
ok cheers mate, do you have any idea what to do if, my school does not do this gcse? i am not sure you see, because I'm not sure it is available!
hutchyz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yes you should.
username537823
Rep:
?
(Original post by emma363)
Depends really, if you're planning to do maths A level next year it might help in statistics moduals? Or if you want to do something maths/science related? or if you're only doing 8/9 or less GCSES (not that there's anything wrong with 8/9)

but If not I wouldn't bother, alot of people at my school HATED it and the courseworks a *****. I liked it but i'm weird

So in conclusion:
If you like maths: yes
If you don't: no
oh ryt there is coursework is there! whats that like, time consuming?
09MattH
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Find a centre outside of your school that does it and pay for it yourself? Or stomp your feet until your school makes it available, maybe get a few of your friends to join you?! I did it and got an A*, your right, it is easy, and will look good on your ucas app.
09MattH
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We were able to use the coursework from our maths gcse i think, took about half an hour to make it a bit better! Really not very time consuming
mathew551
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes yes yes!
jiemanm10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ok cheers mate, do you have any idea what to do if, my school does not do this gcse? i am not sure you see, because I'm not sure it is available!

im not too sure as i did mine at school, you could ask your examinations officer as they might be able to request you to sit the exam? we did the course in about 5 months of school so yeah, if you try hard you should do really well!

hope that helps!
Satta101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do it! especially if you plan to do maths for A levels. I did it in yr 10 and got an A. (Wanted an A* tbh) plus it will help with your maths GCSE exam as well!
emma363
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We'll I did AQA and you basically had to make a hypothesis, get test it/results then prove it right or wrong. Sound simple but it took ages :P
Extricated
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
its easy, do it lol 71% last year for an A*
Benmaster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nope; you can't do coursework anymore, it's all controlled assessments, on AQA & Edexcel (the only boards that offer statistics).
Bulbasaur
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Its really not as easy as your probably think it is.
Abbadon27
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you want the extra GCSE then go for it! But I do warn you, it is really boring...
chinaberry
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, if it's so easy then your 'wasted time' would only total the length of the exam, about one and a half hours, so...go for it! Assuming you wouldn't be going to classes.
Not really that useful. Boring too.
hamster33
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No matter what, you should definately continue studying maths in some form for the next year, if you want to take it to A level.
I think the OCR FSMQ is worth a look, it covers many AS topics and is specifically designed for people who have done GCSE early.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (17)
13.08%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (31)
23.85%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (58)
44.62%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
15.38%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.08%

Watched Threads