This discussion is closed.
hildabeast
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Veedy)
Do those kind of people just hang out with each other out of everyones way or are they the kind of people that you will see quite often?
You will usually only ever see them p**sed up in the Union bar.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
You will usually only ever see them p**sed up in the Union bar.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
ok. That's not too bad.
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Veedy)
http://oa.waveflex.com/profiles/prof_disp.asp?id=459
Have a read of this. Does anyone think this is a real guy or just a fake. Reading it made me laugh ! I hope it isn't real, because personally I wouldn't like to meet him.
Very funny!
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
to get back to the nepotism thing again...I read about a guy who applied to Oxford, to the same college his father went to. Just before his interview his father donated 50,000 pounds to the college and...his son didn't get in. In reaction to that his father withdrew the donation!!
couldn't have made it more obvious, could they?
but after all i think the oxford college was under a lot of pressure, had they admitted the son, everybody would have sad he only got in because of the donation...
petition
Report 16 years ago
There is little nepotism in my experience. My Dad went to Merton for his PhD, and I applied there this year since I was born in college. I had good grades in my Junior Cert (Irish GCSE equivalent), good references, good written work, very good interviews and didn't get in. In my opinion they gave less qualified and less intelligent candidates places, but they apparently were unhappy with my lack of predicted grades for my exams this summer. I asked for feedback and the Admissions tutor said I missed out by one place, very much impressed the tutors, and suggested I consider reapplying to Oxford next year. So if I was that close, and they actually care who your parents are they would have let me in. Ergo=little nepotism in play.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why didn't you get predicted grades for the Leaving?
redcat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by tomek J.)
to get back to the nepotism thing again...I read about a guy who applied to Oxford, to the same college his father went to. Just before his interview his father donated 50,000 pounds to the college and...his son didn't get in. In reaction to that his father withdrew the donation!!
couldn't have made it more obvious, could they?
but after all i think the oxford college was under a lot of pressure, had they admitted the son, everybody would have sad he only got in because of the donation...
That was Trinity college, Oxford. Interestingly, the college appeared to go out of their way to publicise this story, which painted them as so "honest" and "clean". Could that be because they knew that soon the press would find out that Trinity had offered a place to Euan Blair, the son of Cherie Blair, who just happened to be a former law partner of Trinity's Master Michael Beloff ... it wouldn't be that they wanted something that they could point to, to refute any accusations of nepotism, when the Euan story came out, I don't suppose? -- (given that Euan was perhaps not the strongest in their field of candidates, in fact so much so that he slipped his offer, getting a C in French, and ended up going somewhere else?) The Mail and Telegraph revealed the offer, and the Blairs brought a press commission complaint stopping anybody from reporting any more about it. In the end young master Euan ended up as we all know at Bristol where mummy bought him an expensive flat to live in, using the services of notorious fraudster Peter Foster ... but that's another story.
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by redcat)
That was Trinity college, Oxford. Interestingly, the college appeared to go out of their way to publicise this story, which painted them as so "honest" and "clean". Could that be because they knew that soon the press would find out that Trinity had offered a place to Euan Blair, the son of Cherie Blair, who just happened to be a former law partner of Trinity's Master Michael Beloff ... it wouldn't be that they wanted something that they could point to, to refute any accusations of nepotism, when the Euan story came out, I don't suppose? -- (given that Euan was perhaps not the strongest in their field of candidates, in fact so much so that he slipped his offer, getting a C in French, and ended up going somewhere else?) The Mail and Telegraph revealed the offer, and the Blairs brought a press commission complaint stopping anybody from reporting any more about it. In the end young master Euan ended up as we all know at Bristol where mummy bought him an expensive flat to live in, using the services of notorious fraudster Peter Foster ... but that's another story.
I think you are right, they needed the donation story as an argument...so ironically this guy probably might have had better chances to get in if his father had NOT donated the money!
as to euan...i don't even think his mummy needed to know the master of the college - the mere fact that he was created by the fusion of Cherie Blair's egg with TONY'S sperm was more than enough to earn him a place. His C in French proved that he didn't necessarily get the best of the prime minister's genes, but the saddest moment was when he missed his offer and daddy tried to blame it on the A Level Marking! ;-)

Does anyone know about members of the Royal Family going to Oxbridge with poor grades?
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by tomek J.)
Does anyone know about members of the Royal Family going to Oxbridge with poor grades?
Hmm well Prince Charles was the famous one I suppose. Don't know about any current 'lesser' royals going though.
way2go
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
Hmm well Prince Charles was the famous one I suppose. Don't know about any current 'lesser' royals going though.
Where did he go? I want to go there too...
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
a family friend of mine used to work in the office of a college in cambs and opened all the mail, there was frequently "gifts" of cheques £20K and more. The college cashed the cheques and didn't even look at who they were from!!
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by way2go)
Where did he go? I want to go there too...
Well he went to Trinity College, Cambridge.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mr. Darcy,esq.)
An absoultely useless intellectually dull creep from my school got into Oxford to read BA (law and Law studies). Knowing that law is one of the most competitive subjects, I cannot imagine him being in any way qualified over any of the other applicants. I do however know that his father (an Austrian magnate and bigshot academic) has contacts in Oxford. Many people have been speculating that this, rather than anything else is responsible for his offer.

I like to believe that Oxford is far cleaner than that. What do you folks think?
It's a well known fact that "Daddy" can swing it if there's contacts / past alumni... it doesn't happen that often though, and I don't think it's that big a deal to lose a small number of places to more deserving candidates for massive (continuing) financial gain, the penalty being someone selected getting a 2:2 instead of a 2:1 maybe.

I won't name names obviously but know a number of people here who's parental influence could have easily swung it. A member of royalty has BBC at A2 to start with.
way2go
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
It's a well known fact that "Daddy" can swing it if there's contacts / past alumni... it doesn't happen that often though, and I don't think it's that big a deal to lose a small number of places to more deserving candidates for massive (continuing) financial gain, the penalty being someone selected getting a 2:2 instead of a 2:1 maybe.

I won't name names obviously but know a number of people here who's parental influence could have easily swung it. A member of royalty has BBC at A2 to start with.
I am not surprised that these things happen, but I find it very remarking that these people tell others about their their admission requirements. If my parents would have swung it, I wouldn't be trumpeting "I got in with BBC".
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by way2go)
I am not surprised that these things happen, but I find it very remarking that these people tell others about their their admission requirements. If my parents would have swung it, I wouldn't be trumpeting "I got in with BBC".
They didn't. Jools knows all
scanner
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Veedy)
Do those kind of people just hang out with each other out of everyones way or are they the kind of people that you will see quite often?
They congregate together in small, braying herds. Although they are atiny minority they are disproportionately visible. The Union is their colony so avoiding it will help if you wish to avoid this bunch..
scanner
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Haha lol it's clearly a p**take but funny anyway. It may be a characture but head down to the Union on a Friday night and you'll meet people a but like that (although not so extreme and not so anti-northern/state school).
Yes it is a fake but the problem Oxford need to worry about is that none of us is absolutely sure.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think it's fairly safe to say that there is still the whole "it's not what you know, it's who you know" thing going on at Oxbridge (and probably a lot of other institutions, but obviously their cases aren't going to be so high-profile). However, I like to hope that this is only in a tiny minority of cases and that the rest of us got on on our own merits.

I do have a confession - I possibly could have got in that way, but I chose not to. My cousins' grandfather was Master at one of the Cambridge colleges until sometime in the 90s, and when I was looking at applying to Cambridge, I wrote to him asking him what he thought of my college shortlist (can't remember all of it, but at the time I think it had Emma, Clare, Queens', John's, his college and a couple of others). He did say in his reply, that if I chose his old college he would be happy to "put a good word in" (not the exact words, but something similar). I was very flattered, but a) didn't like the college as much as I did Clare and b) didn't want to feel I'd got in on anything but my own merit.

I'd like to point out there was no money involved in this or anything dodgy - his offer was purely goodwill and would not have guaranteed me anything. Whether there are less scrupulous people around, I don't know...
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by scanner)
They congregate together in small, braying herds. Although they are atiny minority they are disproportionately visible. The Union is their colony so avoiding it will help if you wish to avoid this bunch..
Thanks for the advice
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I think it's fairly safe to say that there is still the whole "it's not what you know, it's who you know" thing going on at Oxbridge (and probably a lot of other institutions, but obviously their cases aren't going to be so high-profile). However, I like to hope that this is only in a tiny minority of cases and that the rest of us got on on our own merits.

I do have a confession - I possibly could have got in that way, but I chose not to. My cousins' grandfather was Master at one of the Cambridge colleges until sometime in the 90s, and when I was looking at applying to Cambridge, I wrote to him asking him what he thought of my college shortlist (can't remember all of it, but at the time I think it had Emma, Clare, Queens', John's, his college and a couple of others). He did say in his reply, that if I chose his old college he would be happy to "put a good word in" (not the exact words, but something similar). I was very flattered, but a) didn't like the college as much as I did Clare and b) didn't want to feel I'd got in on anything but my own merit.

I'd like to point out there was no money involved in this or anything dodgy - his offer was purely goodwill and would not have guaranteed me anything. Whether there are less scrupulous people around, I don't know...
that's very noble of you, respect.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Do you get study leave?