The Student Room Group

Volunteering in Primary School - Dress Code

Hi,

Im a male and will be volunteering in a primary school and was wondering what the dress code will be? Would dark blue denim jeams or dark grey coloured jeans and a smart casual shirt be ok? with possibly black or dark tan dress shoes or would I be required to have a long sleeve plain smart shirt with top button fastened, tie, office trousers, black loafers and possibly a blazer or waistcoat? Im just unsure when it comes to a primary school, I would imagine secondary schools would be dressed very formally

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
just dress up smartly.
make a good impression of yourself! i think a suit would probably be too much, however, especially for a primary school :smile:
I wouldn't go in jeans for your first day. Best to just wear black trousers and a smart shirt and then you get figure out the dress code from their. Better to be overdressed than too casual.
Check with the primary school, each primary school is different!

I worked in one where jeans were fine, and one where jeans weren't!

Just phone them up and ask.
Black trousers, smart shirt, and black shoes. That's what the male teachers wore at the school I volunteered in, anyway. Better to be overdressed than underdressed.

Good luck with your volunteering - I've done it three times now and it's just brilliant, I think. :h:
Reply 5
When I went I wore, smart shoes, grey suit pants, casual top. Not branded or any logos.
Reply 6
I would say a suit was too formal for a primary school! You are likely to be helping out with things that might get a little messy etc, so I wouldn't wear your Sunday best! I'm a girl and did volunteering at a primary school a couple of years back and just wore jeans and smart (but practical) blouse and that was fine, I seemed to fit in with staff. :smile:
Reply 7
ask the school what they expect from you or see what the other teachers are wearing. Although, you can't go wrong with a cashmere tailor-made suit to set the tone.
Reply 8
Wear a suit the first day. If you are overdressed, wear something more casual after that. I do supply TA work sometimes and I just wear a suit to each school unless I know I should be doing otherwise.
No jeans. At least not on the first day. Better to make a good impression by being overdressed than a bad one by being underdressed.
Either wear something smart, but not too smart, on the first day to give a good impression and go from there or ring up and ask.
(edited 13 years ago)
As most people have said, black trousers and a smart shirt are the best bet. A suit is way over the top for primary school - one teacher at the school I vounteer at was wearing one today and he just got ridiculed for it. Another male teacher wears jeans and t shirt all the time, so just gauge what other people are wearing. I always go in a smart shirt, and wear trousers or jeans depending on what's ironed! No one really seems to care to be honest...
Reply 12
Smart casual should do. Do not Wear a suit!! you will be over dressed.
Reply 13
Don't wear jeans. As others have said, it's probably best to err on the side of caution on your first day and wear some smart-ish trousers and a shirt. You can then gauge what the general dress code is and dress accordingly for the remainder of your placement.
I would wear black trousers and shoes (as these are what the children will wear, therefore you're setting a good example) and then just maybe a white shirt or something smartish. Not a suit though. When I worked in a primary school I wore black trousers and shoes and then a plain white cotton top and it was fine. You don't want the kids saying "sir.........why can you wear jeans and I can't"!
Reply 15
Black trousers, smart shirt (no tie), black shoes. Then figure out what the other teacher's are wearing from there. Primary school's shouldn't be too formal I don't think. Good luck!
Reply 16
Thanks for the replies everyone! It seems like smartly formal dressed is the way to go then! lol. I'll buy some formal black trousers, a plain long sleeved shirt, black shoes and maybe a tie or something. Thanks everyone! :redface:)
Reply 17
I worked in a primary school for my work experience last year and I didn't dress overly formal. I just wore slip on plimsoll type shoes, jeans and a smart-casual top. I think one day I wore a polo shirt with a cardigan, or a jumper with a shirt underneath it.
Don't wear jeans. It's possibly the best way to make yourself look as unprofessional as possible.
Reply 19
Dress practically. In primary schools, you run around after the kids a lot, you will need to be comfortable, and you may need to clean up after the kids if they fall over/are sick/lose a tooth/spill paint on themselves etc. Wear clothes you don't mind ruining. I still have blue paint on a white shirt that I wore when working in a primary school that will NOT come out :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending