Which university is the best for aeronautical engineering? Watch

This discussion is closed.
klutz
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I received offers from Imperial, UMIST, bath, southampton and sheffield...so just wanted to find out which university is the best for aeronautical engineering...
way2go
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by klutz)
I received offers from Imperial, UMIST, bath, southampton and sheffield...so just wanted to find out which university is the best for aeronautical engineering...
All universities mentioned above are excellent for aerospace engineering, but I think Imperial and Southamption are slightly better and also have higher admission requirements.

However, this is not all there is. Aerospace engineering is a very broad subject, which addresses many branches of engineering, eg materials science, aerodynamics (subsonic, supersonic, hypersonic (all very different!!!)), electromagnetic engineering, thermal engineering, systems engineering, control and simulation, orbit and attitude determination, flight mechanics and propulsion, geodetics. Most aerospace engineers will be trained to be an expert in only one of these fields. Therefore it is wise to consider what you like and which aerospace engineering faculty offers the opportunity to study that area.

Furtermore there is a distinction between aeronautical engineering and spacecraft engineering. I know that Imperial college mainly addresses aeronautical engineering with only a little attention for spacecraft engineering. This does not mean that you can't work in the spacecraft engineering branch with a degree from Imperial, but it might make your study more interesting and lively when you would go to a place where they do pay more attention to space engineering. So if you are more interested in space, I would not go to Imperial if I were you (besides living in london is also very expensive!).
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Imperial ...
only coz my dad went there lol...
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
UMIST is good if not slightly over rated. I think it tends to be top 30 in terms of league tables. However UMIST graduates are the highest earning in the entire country (even higher than Oxbridge).

There are rumours that employees wonder round the halls of UMIST to try and pull. (pull as in employ a student....)

P.S If you read anything into what I said above you have a dirty mind
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Looking at the league its Bath, Imperial and Cambridge
and then its Sheffield and Nottingham
Lbar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You'll learn a lot more on the job more than you ever will in uni but to get into a decent aerospace company you should look for unis with strong ties to one. BAE systems is located not far from manchester and I think they take post-grads in from the unis. Although which ones I can't remember.
way2go
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lbar)
You'll learn a lot more on the job more than you ever will in uni but to get into a decent aerospace company you should look for unis with strong ties to one. BAE systems is located not far from manchester and I think they take post-grads in from the unis. Although which ones I can't remember.
I do know that Southampton is one of them. On there website it says:

An Airbus and British Aerospace (BAE) Systems preferred Course
This does not mean it is the best course according to BAE, but that BAE acknowledges the quality of the course.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
UMIST is good if not slightly over rated. I think it tends to be top 30 in terms of league tables. However UMIST graduates are the highest earning in the entire country (even higher than Oxbridge).

There are rumours that employees wonder round the halls of UMIST to try and pull. (pull as in employ a student....)

P.S If you read anything into what I said above you have a dirty mind
Don't they do that with oxbridge students as well?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Don't they do that with oxbridge students as well?
They probably do but I have only heared of it happening at UMIST but then I live 4 miles away from UMIST so I am biased.
Lbar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by way2go)
This does not mean it is the best course according to BAE, but that BAE acknowledges the quality of the course.
Well thats a very good start.

If the aerospace industry doesnt recognise its quality then its not worth the paper its written on. There isn't a huge number of businesses you can go to.
way2go
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lbar)
Well thats a very good start.

If the aerospace industry doesnt recognise its quality then its not worth the paper its written on.
It is very rare in the aerospace industry (as in any other) that a respected company such as BAE explicitly shows its appreciation for a certain course.

There isn't a huge number of businesses you can go to.
I must admit that the aerospace industry is not that large. However, aerospace engineers are very welcome in a broad range of branches, including the automobile industry, general engineering, strategy consultancy, banking and management. So, you don't have to worry about not getting offered a job, as you probably already knew.
Lbar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by way2go)
I must admit that the aerospace industry is not that large. However, aerospace engineers are very welcome in a broad range of branches, including the automobile industry, general engineering, strategy consultancy, banking and management. So, you don't have to worry about not getting offered a job, as you probably already knew.
The other side of it is that the aerospace industry is fickle. BAE which used to be a mile from where i lived, laid off a huge proportion of their workforce very frequently while they negotiated new contracts with the military or Aircraft operators. Currently I think they are safe until 2010 or something but you can be pretty sure that they will lay off thousand of people again. Of course when they get the new contract they re-hire them again but its always good to get as high up the ladder as quickly as possible to ensure you dont get washed away with them!
way2go
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lbar)
The other side of it is that the aerospace industry is fickle. BAE which used to be a mile from where i lived, laid off a huge proportion of their workforce very frequently while they negotiated new contracts with the military or Aircraft operators. Currently I think they are safe until 2010 or something but you can be pretty sure that they will lay off thousand of people again. Of course when they get the new contract they re-hire them again but its always good to get as high up the ladder as quickly as possible to ensure you dont get washed away with them!
Yep, that's definitely true. It's all about getting the contracts. A good example of this is the current situation at Boeing. They are facing major financial trouble, as they have failed to get the contract for the Joint Strike Fighter and are losing market share very fast in the commercial airline business. Their big billion dollar project for the supersonic cruiser in an attempt to compete with the Airbus A380 to be part of the next generation of commercial aircraft, has been cancelled halfway. I wouldn't be surprised if Boeing would disappear from the main scene in a few years time.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1045)
79.05%
Leave (277)
20.95%

Watched Threads