This discussion is closed.
SugarPlum
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I've posted here before about the incompetant maths teacher I have for my final GCSE year, but now it is becoming more crucial that I understand what I need to do, as I'm doing my final piece of coursework. Basically, I'm doing the data handling piece (on Mayfield High School, if that's relevant) and my chosen line of enquiry is the relationship between height and weight for boys and girls. I figured this would be good as it uses continuous data that is quantitative not qualitative. Right?

So- all I know is that I need to do a preliminary thing and the main thing. That's all. How do I go about this? What does the coursework actually need me to do. Because at the moment I'm thinking there's only so much I can write/draw graphs of. What am I supposed to be doing? I've taken a smaple of 30 boys and girls and now I'm stuck.

Please help. I've asked my teacher but he is totally incompetant and can't explain anything. Thank you all so much in advance!

Edited to add: I'm not asking to copy anyone's coursework. I'm more than happy to work my ass off to get a good grade if I have to. I just need guidance as to what I'm actually supposed to be doing, and how to go about this coursework, because my teacher isn't providing me with this when he should.
SugarPlum
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
no one?
bek4
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SugarPlum)
I've posted here before about the incompetant maths teacher I have for my final GCSE year, but now it is becoming more crucial that I understand what I need to do, as I'm doing my final piece of coursework. Basically, I'm doing the data handling piece (on Mayfield High School, if that's relevant) and my chosen line of enquiry is the relationship between height and weight for boys and girls. I figured this would be good as it uses continuous data that is quantitative not qualitative. Right?

So- all I know is that I need to do a preliminary thing and the main thing. That's all. How do I go about this? What does the coursework actually need me to do. Because at the moment I'm thinking there's only so much I can write/draw graphs of. What am I supposed to be doing? I've taken a smaple of 30 boys and girls and now I'm stuck.

Please help. I've asked my teacher but he is totally incompetant and can't explain anything. Thank you all so much in advance!

Edited to add: I'm not asking to copy anyone's coursework. I'm more than happy to work my ass off to get a good grade if I have to. I just need guidance as to what I'm actually supposed to be doing, and how to go about this coursework, because my teacher isn't providing me with this when he should.
not sure if this is going to help! but i'm doing a similar thing for A level statistics, all you really need to do is draw up your table of results and produce a scttergraph, you can then comment on the correlation of the two groups of data, if you want to be really fancy you can work out the correlation co-efficient and impress your teacher, details of this can be found on any scientifically driven web site, the test you need to work it out is called Spearman's Rho. Hope this helps good luck!
]{ingnik
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
duno if your deadlines passed but what are your hypotheses?
dopey411
Report 16 years ago
I also have a teacher who does not do nothing. Wilson just ignores you and does not give any help. The best way to complete the task is by
setting out the data in tables
make a prediction on what similarities or differences there will be in the data
draw bar charts
draw scattergrams
note about the upper/lower quartile range
draw a line of best fit
explain any specific pieces of data that look out of place on the graphs
then go back to your prediction and say whether it was right/wrong
and finally make a conclusion.
oh yeah and you should remember to make notes on whatever you see on the graphs/tables
dizzi_ali
Report 16 years ago
Does Any One Have Mayfield High Coursework Regarding Height And Weight , Ive Got A Dozen (12) Courseworks All Graded A* Or A . Im Willing To Swap For Freeee!!!!
One Chance
One Oppurtunity
And Yes They Are A* / A Grade

I Gt Histry , Science, English Pieces !!! Tell Me Wht U Looking For
Oh Yes And I Got Ict !!!!!!
I Got Ict Four Pieces Of Coursewrks
Eg- Database-spreadsheet- Ms Word- Webpages
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you are just going to spam the board, then dont bother.
Powerline
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Im sorry, but why are you posting other peoples courseworks online? If someone wants to get a grade in a subject, it should be from their own hard work, and if they have a problem with the work, ask the teacher, or someone else for help!

Please do not do this again.
patel87
Report 16 years ago
hey im doing a similar coursewrok, i have to data handling on used car data, can anyone help me?? im pretty much FUBAR'd i managed a 1.1.4 which is ****e can any one ehlp me, ill swap for any lesson u need, i got a perfect science if anyone can help well if this extesion thing works hav a look at it and help me!
patel87
Report 16 years ago
hey i screwed on my maths data handlin coursework aswell but mine is on used cars crap. if ne one can help then ill swap 4 any lesson, even hav a perfect science if u want it. please help

[email protected]
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Noone wants to help people who don't try themselves.

Go to coursework.info, and do your dirty work there.
jeg
Report 15 years ago
does any one have the mayfield high data table?
velcroboy
Report 15 years ago
are you on about the whole database on Excel?
Faye
Report 15 years ago
I, too, am doing my Mayfield High School data and am doing exactly the same; the difference between boys' and girls' heights and weights. I randomnly selected 30 boys and 30 girls from the datasheet. I made my hypothesis (prediction) which was that boys will probably be more commonly heavier and taller than girls.
On Microsoft Excel I wrote down all the data and made scatter graphs for all: Boy's weight, boy's height, girl's weight, girl's height and explained the differences in all of them. You can make cumulative frequency tables and find the interquartile range, median, upper and lower quartile and explain what these show. Histograms are also impressive.
spet0917
Report 15 years ago
Not too sure about the Mayfield project, but think that this could be of help.
State your hypothesis.
Plan: At this stage you need to talk about what you are going to do, i.e. scatter diagram. WHY? Maybe you want to see whether there is any correlation? Using Excel or drawing by hand, say which one is more efficient - how would you do it by hand, would you use all data or take a sample?
You should also talk about the limitations of your project like maybe your sample is not totally representative, so heights etc, if you survey Year 8 you could possibly talk about pre-pubest growth spurts, would it be more sensible to do this same survey later through the years? Would you get the same set of results?

Results. Have your scatter diagrams here.

Talk about them, correlation, outliers, which ones and why do not fit the trend. How large is your sample, can you draw accurate conclusions from this? Is it fair to base a conclusion on say just 30 people. With Used Cars, many people now go on to exclude the outliers and just look at say the Fords or Fiats. But this introduces bias, so whatever conclusion you make you must say that it is limited to that make. Can you be sure that other factors are not also contributing - mention this, just so that you show some awareness of the issus involved in tackling handling data.

You must go on to further your topic at this point, so if I had plotted weight against height for all pupils in a school I would maybe think about doing this for particular year groups and making comments on each. For example Year 9 may have stronger correlation than Year 8 - again, this is difficult to conclude this if you are looking at just 10 pupils - fine if you do this, but you must talk about the limitations.

Maybe you could also look at weight per year.

Remember always talk about the limitations of what you are doing (i.e. science fairness).
Kendall
Report 15 years ago
Does SugarPlum happen to go to clifton College and taught be Gary Gardiner?

Kendall
ROSE_ABANDA
Report 15 years ago
i amdoing mayfield high school as well. Im from st martins girls in tulse hill.

what you do depends on whether you are doing intermediate, higher or foundation. To get good marks you need to collect your data in a certain way (ie. stratified sampling if you are doing higher). You need to explain how you chose your data to get extra marks. You then nedd to do simple graphs as you obviously know. Afterwards you need to explain what your graph shows you, and then you need to do comparisons as well. Because you are doing weight and height, you need to say whether your height affects the weight and if not you need to explain why. The best graph to do for this is a scatter diagram, BUT dont forget your line of best fit!!!. Hope that is good enough for you!!

good luck
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (216)
67.92%
No (102)
32.08%

Watched Threads