Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    School: unselective state 16-18
    Area of Country: Manchester
    Size of year- group: 700
    Oxbridge Applicants: Oxford - 10, Cambridge - 8, Total - 18
    Number of successes: Oxford - about 5, Cambridge - 2, Total - 7
    Dodgy deals going on: Apart from some abuse of the access schemes, none.

This thread seems to indicate schools have ties to one university or the other, ie. a school will mostly apply to Oxford or Cambridge.
    What school do you go to fishpaste?

ReputationRep:
    School: unselective state 11-18
    Area of Country: NW England (Cumbria)
    Size of year- group: about 150
    Oxbridge Applicants: Oxford - 4, Cambridge - 8, Total - 12
    Number of successes: Oxford - 2, Cambridge - 1, Total - 3
    Dodgy deals going on: No, its all above board

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veedy)
    What school do you go to fishpaste?
    Xaverian College, you?

ReputationRep:
    School: comprehensive sixth form
    Area of Country: Yorkshire, North
    Size of year- group: about 100
    Oxbridge Applicants: Oxford - 2, Cambridge - 4, Total - 6
    Number of successes: Oxford - 1, Cambridge - 1+1 pooled (don't know the outcome yet as haven't seen the person in question since exam leave), Total - 2+1
    Dodgy deals going on: Nope (just an ordinary comp.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veedy)
    William Hulme's Grammar school. ( You don't know anyone called Ghulam at Xaverian do you?)
    No, but if you told me his subjects/appearance etc and whether he's in US/LS there's a good chance I will know who you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    Area of Country: Midlands
    Oxbridge Applicants: Oxford - 0, Cambridge - 3, Total - 3
    Number of successes: Oxford - 0, Cambridge - 1, Total - 1
    Dodgy deals going on: Nope, didnt get much help at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tifa)
    I've found it quite interesting picking up on how many *successes* there are in a school. Just wonder if people would do a little show and tell about your establishment, for this year specifically or maybe in general.

Area of Country: SE England
    Oxbridge Applicants: Oxford - 7, Cambridge - 4, Total - 11
    Number of successes: Oxford - 5, Cambridge - 3, Total - 8
    Dodgy deals going on: None whatsoever because we are just a random dirt-poor average anonymous state-school
    School: unselective compehensive state 11-18
    Area of Country: SE England , near oxford
    Size of year- group: 200 (its quite huge)
    Oxbridge Applicants: Oxford - 5, Cambridge - 5, Total - 10
    Number of successes: Oxford - 1, Cambridge - 2, Total - 3
    Dodgy deals going on: None on the cambridge side, the guy who intervied the oxford applicant had his son in the year above mine at the same school. No idea if it made a difference!

Which school are you at?

ReputationRep:
    School: unselective state 11-18 (even though there's a few 19/20 year olds in year 13)
    Area of Country: north wales (and we're darn proud to be welsh!!)
    Size of year- group: 120
    Oxbridge Applicants: not sure how many for each but there were 10 altogether
    Number of successes: 2 for english lit, 2 for maths, 1 for PPE total 5
    Dodgy deals going on: nothing really stands out apart from my head of sixth form knowing 'people' in girton quite well (hmmm.... possibly why i got an offer from the pool from there??), plus there are quite a few teachers (at least 4 out of about 85 that i know of) that went to cam/ox themselves so they might have contacts.

Donna
    -x-

ReputationRep:
    School: Independent, 11-18
    Area of Country: Cambridge
    Size of year- group: 90 odd
    Oxbridge Applicants: Oxford - 15, Cambridge - 15, Total - 30 (this includes reapplications and post-A-level applications, though)
    Number of successes: Oxford - 3, Cambridge - 5, Total - 8
    Dodgy deals going on: Don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzy_vet)
    School: unselective compehensive state 11-18
    Area of Country: SE England , near oxford
    Size of year- group: 200 (its quite huge)
    Oxbridge Applicants: Oxford - 5, Cambridge - 5, Total - 10
    Number of successes: Oxford - 1, Cambridge - 2, Total - 3
    Dodgy deals going on: None on the cambridge side, the guy who intervied the oxford applicant had his son in the year above mine at the same school. No idea if it made a difference!

Which school are you at?
    School: Selective Grammer School
    Area of Country: Around London
    Size of Year: about 70
    Oxbridge Applicants: Oxford - 5, Cambridege - 15; Total - 20
    Number of successes: Oxford - 0, Cambridge - 3 + 2 pooled and rejected
    Dodgy deals going on: The one guy who got in applied for the same subject and the same college as another guy from our school who had gotten in the year before us...apparently this College (alright, I will say it, it was SELWYN college) wrote a letter to our head, saying they would like another one of those students!!

ReputationRep:
    School: Independant (non-selective)
    Area of Country: South East
    Size of Year: about 70
    Oxbridge Applicants: 5 - Oxford and 8 to Cambridge
    Number of successes: 0 - Oxford and 2 - Cam (+ me still in pool but v. unlikely)

Dodgy deals going on: Yeah but it's a negative one. A guy got a choral scholarship to King's. He is very very clever and should have got in even without the scholarship. He was rejected - but apparently King's is very left-wing and we are an independent school.

ReputationRep:
    School: very(academically)selective public school (Bob Geldof's daughters attend my school)
    Area of Country: London
    Size of Year: about 100
    Oxbridge Applicants: 6-Oxford and 5 to Cambridge
    Number of successes: 5-Oxford and 4-Cam (I'm in for Economics at Cam)

Dodgy deals going on: Well i dunno whether there are any deals going on but roughly everyone who trys out for Oxbridge gets in..maybe thats becasue only the ones who know they have a gd chance of getting in try out!?!?! But like sum one else said on the board... its def run like a business! You should see what they have done to our lunch system (we have a dinning hall. a coffee shop on site (for yr 11-13) which serves breakfast,lunch and snacks! We recently had a massive,new,high tech pool built on site aswell and can u guess who paid for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelzland)
    School: very(academically)selective public school (Bob Geldof's daughters attend my school)
    Area of Country: London
    Size of Year: about 100
    Oxbridge Applicants: 6-Oxford and 5 to Cambridge
    Number of successes: 5-Oxford and 4-Cam (I'm in for Economics at Cam)

Dodgy deals going on: Well i dunno whether there are any deals going on but roughly everyone who trys out for Oxbridge gets in..maybe thats becasue only the ones who know they have a gd chance of getting in try out!?!?! But like sum one else said on the board... its def run like a business! You should see what they have done to our lunch system (we have a dinning hall. a coffee shop on site (for yr 11-13) which serves breakfast,lunch and snacks! We recently had a massive,new,high tech pool built on site aswell and can u guess who paid for it?
    Bob Geldof also sends one of his daughters to my school - but the description you provided makes me suspect that we don't in fact go to the same school.

ReputationRep:
    ooooooh i have just figured out u r in the year below! lol Well gd luk wit ur application!
    Yeah......Queens of the stone age are playing on the radio (sorri that was irrelevent!)
    Sxxxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    School: non-selective, International School
    Area of Country: A random field 15kms outside Geneva, Switzerland
    Size of Year: 80ish
    Oxbridge Applicants: 10-Oxford and 9 to Cambridge
    Number of successes: 3-Oxford and 3-Cam (plus one awaiting the result of her pool interview)
    Dodgy deals going onrr none, although the college I applied to sent one of those Selwyn-esque letters to my referee a couple of days ago(which was nice). It's also the first time in the history of my school that more than 3 people have been made offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Dodgy deals going onrr none, although the college I applied to sent one of those Selwyn-esque letters to my referee a couple of days ago(which was nice). It's also the first time in the history of my school that more than 3 people have been made offers.
    Congrats: you must have really aced your Queen's interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Congrats: you must have really aced your Queen's interview.
    It went really well yea, a lot of that was down to luck though to be fair. I even bought the Private Eye annual straight afterwards as a treat to myself

ReputationRep:
    Tek and angelzland -

one of geldof's daughters applied for my school and didnt get a place because she apparently wrote apalling answers to the entrance exam and even quoted her dad's name in one ('we flew dad's jet to...'). To be honest though, i think my school was just being snobby and trying to look as though 'fame' (all is relative) can earn you a place.

What school is yours then...?!

x

ReputationRep:
    state selective
    applied 12 cam 8 oxf
    success 11 cam 5 oxf
    nothin dodgy

ReputationRep:
    School: selective (although we let in top 20%, so not too selective) school
    Area of Country: Kent
    Size of Year: 110
    Oxbridge Applicants: 5 Oxford and 1 Cambridge
    Number of successes: 3 oxford and 1 cambridge (after pool)
    Dodgy deals going on: We have a serious bias towards oxford (we take a trip to oxford, but not to cam) - and 'links' with certain courses at certain colleges there. I doubt there are any dodgy deals - the guy my school were desperate to get into oxford didn't get in.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.