Dodgy deals going on: None
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
that is crazy - half the year group applied to oxbridge
Minta's school is clearly very academic. At my school it was getting on for 40% and it's the same at other selective independent schools.
Tnacilppa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by RxB)
One of ours got a choral scholarship to King's, and we're an independent school...
Is he called Rupert?
[email protected]
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
School: unselective state 11-18
Area of Country: SW England
Size of year- group: about 200 ? (poss the biggest school in Britain, about 2,500 students)
Oxbridge Applicants: Oxford - 2, Cambridge - 3, Total - 5
Number of successes: Oxford - 0, Cambridge - 0, Total - 0
Dodgy deals going on: LoL, with two and half thousand students...you do the maths.
redcat
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Which illustrious state grammar is this one in Kent then? And is it offers or acceptances?
The thing about state schools who are successful in students accepted in Oxbridge is that, over many years, they have built up connections with various colleges and know how to 'work the system'. It does not confirm that they have an intellectual 'elite'.
I'm not sure I believe this ... or at least, it might be true about some schools that send a lot of people to Oxbridge but not all. Two members of my family went to the same s.e. england state grammar school. Every year this school sends between 15 and 23 people to Oxbridge out of a year group of around 210. So you might think, oh they have connections with particular colleges, they must really know how to play the system. Not at all, from what I could tell. In both cases, my family members were given NO guidance or advice about what college to apply to .. when asked, the teachers would say amazingly useless things like 'pick one you like the look of ... they're all the same.' (!!!) The teachers appeared to know NOTHING about the various characteristics/strong points/competitiveness of different colleges. My family members totally made up their own minds where to apply with no help from the school good or bad. The fact that people from the school get in so frequently is pretty much down to the fact that the school probably does give them good recommendations, plus the teaching is good, and the students themselves are clever.
Pollo Loco
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
School: selective grammar
Area: NW Engalnd
Size: 75ish
Applicants: about 10 between Ox/Cam
Successes: 1 Ox 2 Cam (interestingly all had 10 A* at GCSE)
Dodgy Deals: none that I'm aware of
redcat
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
School: unselective state 16-18
Area of Country: Manchester
Size of year- group: 700
Oxbridge Applicants: Oxford - 10, Cambridge - 8, Total - 18
Number of successes: Oxford - about 5, Cambridge - 2, Total - 7
Dodgy deals going on: Apart from some abuse of the access schemes, none.

This thread seems to indicate schools have ties to one university or the other, ie. a school will mostly apply to Oxford or Cambridge.
In our area there are a couple of boys' grammars that both send fairly large numbers of people to Oxbridge, but one favours Oxford and the other Cambridge. Don't know if School A pushes Oxford, but I think not, because the head was quoted in the local paper recently saying he wished they got more into Cambridge rather than Oxford as he himself is a Cam graduate. I know school B doesn't push Cambridge - I think the reason more people from that school apply there is just force of habit - people see that other people from that school applied to Cambridge so they think of it first. I'm pretty sure the teachers don't push it, as I said in another post in this thread, they seem almost totally clueless about choosing colleges and basically don't seem to give students any guidance on that.

Which reminds me of a question I've been meaning to pose on this board: is there a particular mind set or personality that applies to Oxford rather than Cambridge and vice versa - I mean if it's not a question of only one doing the course you want to do?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My school didn't seem to have much of a bias towards either (with only an average of one person getting in each year, there's not much opportunity!) but as the current head and the previous one were Oxford graduates, a few more people tended to go there. When I got in to Camb, I was called to a meeting with the Head where he congratulated me in his usual wet smarmy way (this is the man who had no idea who I was when it came to choosing head girl, but who suddenly thinks I'm the best thing since sliced bread when I get into Cambridge :rolleyes: ) and then said, semi-jokingly "Of course, it's a shame it wasn't the other place, but we are tremendously pleased, blah blah blah..." Lord I miss that place
Minta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
Minta's school is clearly very academic. At my school it was getting on for 40% and it's the same at other selective independent schools.
Oh yes, North London Collegiate is very academic, overly so IMHO, and full of people obessessed with prestige, hence the high number who apply and get into Oxbridge. I think my year was a particular bumper year for Oxbridge, though, even by NLCS standards!
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
School: FE College.
Area of Country: London.
Size of year- group: about 500.
Oxbridge Applicants: Oxford - 2, Cambridge - 4, Total - 6.
Number of successes: Oxford - 0, Cambridge - 1, Total - 1.
Dodgy deals going on: Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
leda swanson
Report 15 years ago
type of schule: state 11-18 comp
area: wales
size of year: 200
oxbridge applicants: 4 cam, 4 oxf
oxbridge offers: 2 cam, 2 oxf (1 pooled at cam, but nothing came of it)
dodginess: none. my year is particularly brilliant and perhaps doesn't wholly exemplify my school's general standards. last year eg 1 person of about 5 got a place.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by redcat)
I'm not sure I believe this ... or at least, it might be true about some schools that send a lot of people to Oxbridge but not all. Two members of my family went to the same s.e. england state grammar school. Every year this school sends between 15 and 23 people to Oxbridge out of a year group of around 210. So you might think, oh they have connections with particular colleges, they must really know how to play the system. Not at all, from what I could tell. In both cases, my family members were given NO guidance or advice about what college to apply to .. when asked, the teachers would say amazingly useless things like 'pick one you like the look of ... they're all the same.' (!!!) The teachers appeared to know NOTHING about the various characteristics/strong points/competitiveness of different colleges. My family members totally made up their own minds where to apply with no help from the school good or bad. The fact that people from the school get in so frequently is pretty much down to the fact that the school probably does give them good recommendations, plus the teaching is good, and the students themselves are clever.
Yep, my state grammar didn't give me any guidance over colleges etc
Since we had a fairly large number applying to cam one of the teachers drove us all up there in a minibus for one of the open days (I think we all went for faculty open days on that trip). Then we were so keen that myself and two of the others applying to Clare took ourselves off on the train to the college open day as well.
I suspect I influenced people's college decisions more than the teachers, since when I go for something I make sure I research it well (I even scored ten or so of the colleges on the categories I felt were important then went for the highest ranking). However, maybe I didn't get any help because the teachers knew I'm quite a stubborn person and I think some of the others may have a got a _little_ more guidance.

Alaric
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
This thread seems to indicate schools have ties to one university or the other, ie. a school will mostly apply to Oxford or Cambridge.
That's easy to explain with my school.

It's a boys' grammar with a mixed sixth form (12 or so girls in total). Although a good all round school, boys will be boys, which tends to mean being more science based. I think the general consensus is that Cam is better overall for sciences and so we would be heavily biased towards there.
There is also the fact that the school had _very_ good further maths teachers and the majority (if not all bar two) of the further maths class applied to oxbridge. Again subjects that prefer further maths tend to be better in cam.
Most of our applications were for Maths, Computer Science or Engineering.

So geeky lot really :rolleyes:

Alaric.
Weirdo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
School: I dunno what it'd be classified as in England
Area of Country: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Size of year- group: about 90.
Oxbridge Applicants: Oxford - 1, Cambridge - 10, Total - 11.
Number of successes: Oxford - 1, Cambridge - 3, Total - 4.
Dodgy deals going on: I don't think so
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
Oh yes, North London Collegiate is very academic, overly so IMHO, and full of people obessessed with prestige, hence the high number who apply and get into Oxbridge. I think my year was a particular bumper year for Oxbridge, though, even by NLCS standards!
Definitely! I remember the teachers saying that your year had the greatest number of successes (oxbridge-wise) partly because a really large % applied that year for some reason. Y'all were geniuses though anyway
figgetyfig
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
WOW!!! our school must be really bad then

Last year we had oxbridge 6 applicants, and 3 offers.
This year 10 applicants and only one offer!
JrW
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
School: Independant
Area of Country: London
Size of year- group: 100
Oxbridge Applicants: Oxford -9 , Cambridge - 11Total - 20
Number of successes: Oxford - 7 Cambridge - 8 Total - 15
Dodgy deals going on: Don't think so....but quite of the teachers are from Oxford or Cambridge...i don't know if this really influences success?!
JrW
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
School: Selective Independent
Area of country: South East
Size of year group: Approx 120
Number of Oxbridge applicants: 60 overall
Number of successes: 44
Dodgy deals going on: None
what is your school...those results are pretty impressive!
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jamierwilliams)
what is your school...those results are pretty impressive!
She mentioned it before, North London Collegiate School
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
School: Selective State
Area of country: North West
Size of year group: Year 12 is about 150 students.
Number of Oxbridge applicants: 20 something
Number of successes: 17 (5 Cambridge, 12 Oxford)
Dodgy deals going on: Don't think so, but the school does have 'connections' with one Oxford College, apparantly, not sure which one though.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (58)
19.46%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (119)
39.93%
Nope, not that interesting (121)
40.6%

Watched Threads