Vital Statistics - how many of yours? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Hannah
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
School: Selective State
Area of country: North West
Size of year group: Year 12 is about 150 students.
Number of Oxbridge applicants: 20 something
Number of successes: 17 (5 Cambridge, 12 Oxford)
Dodgy deals going on: Don't think so, but the school does have 'connections' with one Oxford College, apparantly, not sure which one though.
Actually there is about 300 students in each year - look at the prospectus.
KrazyAngel1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
School: unselective state 11-18
Area of Country: London borough of Hillingdon
Size of year- group: about 100
Oxbridge Applicants: Oxford - 3, Cambridge - 3, Total - 6
Number of successes: Oxford - 1, Cambridge - 1, Total - 2
Dodgy deals going on: Haha like a state school could get into any dogdy deals with Oxbridge, I didn't even get any interview preparation.
Katie J
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
School: state comprehensive
Area of Country: Torfaen, South Wales
Size of year- group: about 90?
Oxbridge Applicants: Oxford - 4, Cambridge - 1, Total - 5
Number of successes: Oxford - 3, Cambridge - 1, Total - 4
Dodgy deals going on: Not many even try, those that do seem to be encouraged towards Oxford, I dont really know why other than that in the past the few that have gone for it generally seem to have gone to Oxford so I guess they just know more what to expect. This time around they asked us to write a brief report of teh process to use for any future applicants. I find the bias towards Oxford baffling, the head of year complained that I applied to Cam simply because 'arch & anth at Oxford is easier to get into than Cambridge' (not my opinion, hers...) completely ignoring course content, labs, repuation in arch world, etc! 4 is the most our school has ever had so the headteacher is now trying to 'hob nob' with anyone he can oxbridge wise & is trying to get all chummy with us now after ignoring us since he took over in yr11! Dodgy deals may now be in formation...
Aylia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
School: semi - selective state 11-18
Area of Country: SE England
Size of year- group: 210
Oxbridge Applicants: 50
Number of successes: 17 ( I think, thats before pool results though)
Dodgy deals going on: Not that I know of, one guuy I know had parents who donated money to the college he applied to, but to honest he'd have got in anyway.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
School: selective state 11-18
Area of Country: SE England
Size of year- group: about 150
Oxbridge Applicants: 40
Number of successes: 13
Dodgy deals going on: none to my knowledge...though some people should've got in that didn't

G
Evil Muffin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
School: unselective state 11-18
Area of Country: SE England/midlands
Size of year- group: about 75
Oxbridge Applicants: Oxford - 2, Cambridge - 2, Total - 4
Number of successes: Oxford - 0 (one didn't get an interview), Cambridge - 0. Rubbish, I know! But then they didn't prepare us at all.
Dodgy deals going on: I wish!
neildm
Report 16 years ago
School: unselective state comp
Area of Country: Leeds(ish)
Size of year- group: 150 odd
Oxbridge Applicants: my year: 7, this year: 10
Number of successes: my year: 2 at Cam none at Ox, this year: 1 at Ox, none at Cam
Dodgy deals going on: Quite impossible
Laylah
Report 16 years ago
School: Officially - non selective 11-18 comp.
Unofficially - non selective 11-18 comp, as long as you live in the surrounding leafy suburbs, can pay for a private tutor anyway, drive to school in a BMW paid for by Daddy, and have pseudo-left wing parents who brag that they would never send their child to a private school, but moved house to make sure their brats got into the feeder primaries of said "state school".
Area: South Wales
Size of Year: about 125 (the number fell from about 150 as the Head of Year ditched people he thought would bring the school down in the league tables)
Oxbridge applicants (in 2003): Oxford- ~10 Cambridge- ~10
Number successful (in 2003): Oxford- 2 Cambridge- 3 (loads of people were pooled; none got an offer, and one guy turned down the Cambridge offer anyway)
Dodgy Deals going on: More than likely, the only person who deserved to get into Oxbridge was rejected (and I say this as a successful Oxford applicant). Maybe his personal statement wasn't subjected to the 59 million editing sessions that everyone else's was.
Jamie Frost
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Its interesting to see that not many schools seem to have an even number of Oxford and Cambridge applicants/places.
My school is definitely Oxford dominated (about 2:1 Ox/Cam ratio) despite that fact that the majority of places were for the sciences rather than the arts.
GemGems
Report 16 years ago
School: unselective state comprehensive all girls 11-18
Area of Country: NW England
Size of year- group: about 100 (i think!)
Oxbridge Applicants: Oxford - 3, Cambridge - 4, Total - 7
Number of successes: Oxford - 2, Cambridge - 1, Total - 3
quinnbrakes
Report 16 years ago
School: semi-selective independant school (selection mainly on prep school and sporting ability)
Area of Country: Shropshire
Size of year- group: about 150
Oxbridge Applicants: around 30
Number of successes: about 15-20
Dodgy deals: Many rumours but the other way round. School god rejected from headmasters old college when he was planning on turning them down for america. The rest were fairly believeable.
winorloose
Report 16 years ago
School: Selective Independant School
Area of Country: Hampshire
Size of year group: 150
Oxbridge Applicants: About 60+
Number of Successes: Maybe as high as 50%
Dodgy deals: Doubtful. School has long standing connections with New College Oxford, though I don't know if anyone applied there. Mind you Oxford in general were mean this year.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads