Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    exactly-
    hardly ne 1 has got an offer from lse yet..part from a few int' students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Specialheffa)
    Yep. You have an interview (i had it with two lovely people!), then you have 45min to critically appreciate (practical criticism) an unseen piece of text, poem or prose!

Good luck
    Thank you!! I've never done anything like that before though (at least not called "practical criticism"), so I'm a bit intimidated that I'll get there and not have a clue :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    Thank you!! I've never done anything like that before though (at least not called "practical criticism"), so I'm a bit intimidated that I'll get there and not have a clue :/
    Well they give you a sheet with it, detailing what to consider, and possibly discuss, so its like a guide but the majority is your own interpretation of the text, which YOU support with the text.

I have a unseen appreciation in my A'Level course so we did some little practice, but it was not time restricted.

again good luck, you'll have to post how you got on!

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Specialheffa)
    Well they give you a sheet with it, detailing what to consider, and possibly discuss, so its like a guide but the majority is your own interpretation of the text, which YOU support with the text.

I have a unseen appreciation in my A'Level course so we did some little practice, but it was not time restricted.

again good luck, you'll have to post how you got on!

xx
    Thank you!!! You have no idea how much better that makes me feel. It's hard to write down what came to mind when the words "practical criticism" came up, but it was something along the lines of them throwing me in the deep end, with no particular assistance as what to look at or do. But if they're going to tell me what they're looking for, phew. I don't have to worry about that and just concentrate on looking at the text.. which of course is what I enjoy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    aww thanks Sam, I haven't got in yet so I'll let you know how it goes If I get all my choices I'll probably put Oxford as my firm and then I'm really unsure about choosing between UCL and Imp for my insurance :confused: But I'll cross that bridge if I come to it Strangely enough this is the first time I'm feeling really nervous about an interview - I guess I slacked off the 'preparation' during the Christmas holidays

Don't worry about not hearing, a couple of friends from school still haven't heard from anywhere for medicine apart from Cam (they both got in) - they submitted their forms slightly later than mine so I'm positive you guys will hear soon enough !
    Lucy- Your probably just nervous because you've aced the others and are a bit worried in case u let things 'slip' which i'm sure u won't! come on if u impressed an Oxford panel u can impress anyone.

Even though i've been preparing for interviews, i'm not sure if what i've been doing is sufficient! Like you i have really slacked over the holidays, but i've been reading and memorising prospectuses my PS, my work experience diaries, i've kep an eye on current medical issues- and done a few mock interviews what else can i be doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAM*)
    Lucy- Your probably just nervous because you've aced the others and are a bit worried in case u let things 'slip' which i'm sure u won't! come on if u impressed an Oxford panel u can impress anyone.

Even though i've been preparing for interviews, i'm not sure if what i've been doing is sufficient! Like you i have really slacked over the holidays, but i've been reading and memorising prospectuses my PS, my work experience diaries, i've kep an eye on current medical issues- and done a few mock interviews what else can i be doing?
    lol thanks for the vote of confidence !

The preparation you've been doing sounds good . The BBC Health website is pretty good if you haven't checked it out yet (I used to read it every other day before my other interviews - plus you can search for specific info on e.g. foundation hospitals). Know what's happening in the NHS (i.e. foundation hospitals) and the advantages/disadvantages of the NHS (they might ask how you would improve the system). Know an interesting case from your work experience and an interesting article you have read. Just know the answers to the obvious questions e.g. "Why med?" "Why here?" and construct some questions (preferably something specific to the course at that particular uni) to ask at the end! You've been reading your PS which is good, make sure you can talk about anything you have mentioned

Also, if you come across an ethical case study keywords to mention include doctor's responsibility over patient, patient's responsibility, patient confidentiality, limited resources etc.

That's all that really springs to mind, the rest is pretty much unpredictable I'm afraid !

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Lucy! You have been very helpful!

ReputationRep:
    SORRY,

I typed that wrong - I did not get into LSE for pure eco. I meant to say got into UCL for pure eco. Sorry bout that :rolleyes: i have got short listed for maths and eco (at LSE) though.

Bye

ReputationRep:
    oooh... I just got an offer from UCL AAB to study mathematics and computer science
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Veedy)
    I have, it was for geography.
    Veedy, what grades did they ask for Geog?
    Thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weirdo)
    Has anyone heard from UCL yet? :confused: I've got all the offers I need really, but it would still be nice to hear from them!

*Tara*
    Hey there,
    I know this isn't really relevant to your question but I couldn't help but warn you that UCL is the biggest **** hole university I have ever seen. I dropped out this year...No not because of my grades but for the fact that the social life, organisation, people, union, etc etc are all just crap. Don't wanna dissapoint you, it's just that I wish someone had told me what I'm telling you.
    If you wanna know why it really is a pile of pants just email me back. ([email protected]) if not, i'll just take it that you're gonna go there and make the same mistake I did.
    Good Luck anyway
    Marina

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marina183)
    Hey there,
    I know this isn't really relevant to your question but I couldn't help but warn you that UCL is the biggest **** hole university I have ever seen. I dropped out this year...No not because of my grades but for the fact that the social life, organisation, people, union, etc etc are all just crap. Don't wanna dissapoint you, it's just that I wish someone had told me what I'm telling you.
    If you wanna know why it really is a pile of pants just email me back. ([email protected]) if not, i'll just take it that you're gonna go there and make the same mistake I did.
    Good Luck anyway
    Marina
    My interview went terribly there anyway so I'll use that to console me, lol.

[edit to add].. or maybe I won't, because you just seem to be on a death rampage against them for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer from UCL about a week ago....for law...3As.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marina183)
    Hey there,
    Good Luck anyway
    Marina
    OMG - wont you stop bothering people now? I'm sure everyone has read this pile of **** a hundred times now. You dont need to keep positng this rubbish on every thread that concerns UCL. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)
    OMG - wont you stop bothering people now? I'm sure everyone has read this pile of **** a hundred times now. You dont need to keep positng this rubbish on every thread that concerns UCL. Get over it.
    Guess what, there's this amazing thing out there called....selective reading. Use it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    I got an offer from UCL about a week ago....for law...3As.

G
    congratulations. plan to go there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starry)
    congratulations. plan to go there?
    Nobody here frightened by marinas (??) anti-UCL social life thread? What do you think about it? I applied too...

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.