BTEC National Diploma for IT Practitioners (Level 3) Watch

nmr1991
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I just wanted to make this thread clear to anyone currently doing this course who are either doing it for the full two years or one year, to give me any feedback on the units that I am finding hard to do this year.

I'm currently doing 4 units this term which are Unit 1, 2, 8 and 28.

The Unit I am actually struggling to work on is Unit 8 because for P2 it asks you to explain the principles of signal theory. I have been doing alot of class work but it doesn't seem to help and I don't really get what signal theory actually is. Another task in my first assignment that I can't seem to grasp is the M1 and M2.

M1 = Explain techniques that can be used to reduce errors in transmission.
M2 = Explain why particular transmission media are chosen in particular situations.

And again in Unit 8, there seems to be another hard task asking 'Critically compare the OSI seven layer model and TCP/IP model.'

In the D1 task i'm not sure what Critically compare means and I have never known about the OSI 7-layer and TCP/IP model before, so some feedback would be appreciated there.
h4mza
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wish i could do this course this year, i got a Pass in Level 2 and i can't enter unless i got Merit or Distinction
MeineJunge
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So what are you doing instead?
DavehB
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
for your M1 the osi 7 layer model: you should mention that TCP/IP protocol uses the aplication level of the OSI model and that it reduces packet loss of data as it allows the computers to talk to each other and can confirm if a packet has been lost and if so can be resent before the connection is closed. (obviuosly just build up information on that)

M2: you can mention TCP/IP again to say that it was designed to be reliable and secure and have great stability unlike IP which again drops packets because it has no stability and can not recognise a packet drop causing data to be lost.

hope this helps clear things up abit.
roobz564
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DavehB)
for your M1 the osi 7 layer model: you should mention that TCP/IP protocol uses the aplication level of the OSI model and that it reduces packet loss of data as it allows the computers to talk to each other and can confirm if a packet has been lost and if so can be resent before the connection is closed. (obviuosly just build up information on that)

M2: you can mention TCP/IP again to say that it was designed to be reliable and secure and have great stability unlike IP which again drops packets because it has no stability and can not recognise a packet drop causing data to be lost.

hope this helps clear things up abit.
thanks alot!!
i'm going unit 8 as well.. THE most confusing thing i have done in my life xD

i have one if not many questions.. one being: can someone explain to me what DTE and DCE are? thanks in advance ^^
edit: nevermind i have my trusty textbook to tell me what it is
Miss K.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi,
im doing this course but im trying to complete all 12 units in a year and need alot of help so if anyone can send me there :
Unit 35
Unit 3
Unit 4
Unit 5
or any of the 12 units it will be much appreciated, im looking for distinctions soo if anyone can help me.
its really important and i need looooadssss of help.
heres my email,
mod edit: e-mail address removed, please use PMs
if anyone can get back to me.
thanks
MylesXD
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Miss K.)
Hi,
im doing this course but im trying to complete all 12 units in a year and need alot of help so if anyone can send me there :
Unit 35
Unit 3
Unit 4
Unit 5
or any of the 12 units it will be much appreciated, im looking for distinctions soo if anyone can help me.
its really important and i need looooadssss of help.
heres my email,
mod edit: e-mail address removed, please use PMs
if anyone can get back to me.
thanks
First question your a girl ? and you did IT? lol
why?

and what other units are you doing? not really helpful if you tell us 4, and i match 2 of the 4
nmr1991
Rep:
?
I have just achieved P1, P2, P4 and almost finished M1 and M2 which are part of Assignment 1 for my Unit 8 now so all I need to worry about is Assignment 2.

My teacher/lecturer told me for D1 - OSI 7 layer and TCP/IP Model that I can use a table to explain the advantages and disadvantages of both protocols and so on.

Lastly, DTE is Data Terminal Equipment which is a computer, a easy way to see it is to look at the word terminal as in a computer as it acts as a source of the data and the destination of the data

DCE is a Data Communicating Equipment which can be routers, gateways, telephones etc. where it converts signals from information into data into information again; this signal can be analogue or digital, modems would be good examples as well.
Miss K.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MylesXD)
First question your a girl ? and you did IT? lol
why?

and what other units are you doing? not really helpful if you tell us 4, and i match 2 of the 4

yes im a girl, lol so what if im doing IT :/
what 2 of the 4 do you match
unit 7
unit 6
unit 21

im jus doin the ones my teachers told me to do !
MylesXD
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yes im a girl, lol so what if im doing IT :/
what 2 of the 4 do you match
unit 7
unit 6
unit 21

im jus doin the ones my teachers told me to do !
nothing personal, we have 3 girls out of 60 doing IT in my college :

and no i dont match any of them :confused: you didnt say them ones lol:eek:
Miss K.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ahh i see..
so what units have you done, cos im doing 12 im doing like any of them really.
have you completed the ict course?
MylesXD
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ahh i see..
so what units have you done, cos im doing 12 im doing like any of them really.
have you completed the ict course?
i m doing 18 units, and have finished 12 of the units, i m on my second year, but the 12 i have done i have got D in all of them haha

what units are you doing ? are you also doing A level as well?
nmr1991
Rep:
?
the 12 i have done i have got D in all of them
So the 12 that you have achieved distinction in, already places you at DDD according to the BTEC calculator so you just need to achieve pass in your rest of the 6 units and you won't have to get to merit or distinction for them.

I hope to do the same, just doing some corrections and some of the distinction tasks and finishing off unit 2, unit 8 is probably the hardest out of them all and Unit 28 is so long to do.

If you have assignments like I do at college, then have you got one for Unit 1 yet? My teachers keep saying to do activities and the class gets the assignment next week.
MylesXD
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nmr1991)
So the 12 that you have achieved distinction in, already places you at DDD according to the BTEC calculator so you just need to achieve pass in your rest of the 6 units and you won't have to get to merit or distinction for them.

I hope to do the same, just doing some corrections and some of the distinction tasks and finishing off unit 2, unit 8 is probably the hardest out of them all and Unit 28 is so long to do.

If you have assignments like I do at college, then have you got one for Unit 1 yet? My teachers keep saying to do activities and the class gets the assignment next week.
You must be using old calculator, 12*18=216, thats DMM, however if i were to get pass in the other units then yes it would be DDD, but bad news i think i need D in ever other Unit for the uni i m applying for anyways

haha you are lucky though you dont get any exams, and yes i do assignements i think everyone does who does a BTEC lol, and yes i did do Unit 1 are you start unit 1 did you say?

What other units you doing?
nmr1991
Rep:
?
During Autumn term I have been doing Unit 1, Unit 2, Unit 8 and Unit 28, might be doing unit 7 and 18 next term (spring term) and I know I will be doing Unit 20 in last term (summer term), so I have no idea what the other 2 units I will be doing this year.

So i have started Unit 1 as far as my teachers are concerned, personally however until I get handed the assignment/s for Unit 1, I doubt the work i'm doing is relevant and the teachers are constantly telling the class that the activities we're doing are part of it, such as stuff like body language, working procedures, requirement for technical knowledge, interview questions, health and safety, negative and positive attitudes etc.

This BTEC Grade Calculator
MylesXD
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nmr1991)
During Autumn term I have been doing Unit 1, Unit 2, Unit 8 and Unit 28, might be doing unit 7 and 18 next term (spring term) and I know I will be doing Unit 20 in last term (summer term), so I have no idea what the other 2 units I will be doing this year.

So i have started Unit 1 as far as my teachers are concerned, personally however until I get handed the assignment/s for Unit 1, I doubt the work i'm doing is relevant and the teachers are constantly telling the class that the activities we're doing are part of it, such as stuff like body language, working procedures, requirement for technical knowledge, interview questions, health and safety, negative and positive attitudes etc.

This BTEC Grade Calculator
Nope unit 1 is strange one, ALL btecs do something on the line of it
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/nat/IT-...s/default.aspx

if you want to have a in depth look at your assignments go to the specfications link, everything covered in each unit must match these cretria

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...0Issue%203.pdf

Yeah, the calucator, is 12 D & 6 P which is DDD
Miss K.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i m doing 18 units, and have finished 12 of the units, i m on my second year, but the 12 i have done i have got D in all of them haha

what units are you doing ? are you also doing A level as well?
ohh wow you finished all 12!
lucky you maan, erm im doing 12..
completed
unit 1, 2 and im on unit 35!
yeah im doing the A Level but ive gota complete it in one year.
you got D's why not improve them?
MylesXD
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ohh wow you finished all 12!
lucky you maan, erm im doing 12..
completed
unit 1, 2 and im on unit 35!
yeah im doing the A Level but ive gota complete it in one year.
you got D's why not improve them?
you got D's why not improve them

D is for Distinctions the highest you can get lol
nmr1991
Rep:
?
Seems there has been a change in plans for my course, it has been changed from NQF to a QCF now and some units and their assignments have changed, I don't know if it has affected other colleges but Edexcel just introduced it and they didn't even think about why they didnt do it in the first place.

Plus the grading system is different aswell, Distinction* is available but requires most units at distinction.
roobz564
Report 9 years ago
unit 1 is easy compared to other units.. i wish i did the Distinction in it last year :/ though i have no regrets anyways cuz i woulda just done a Pass in one unit anyways..

i'm on unit 35 too.. and i hate it.. just wish it wasnt as complicated to do my asignments
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (127)
49.61%
No (35)
13.67%
I'm not old enough (94)
36.72%

Watched Threads