This discussion is closed.
Laiticia
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi guys
Could you help me?

Can someone help me with these 2 questions? First one is How do the results for elecrolysing compounds in soloution deffer from the results for electrolysing molten compounds?
Second is Which4 elements are present in the solution of sodium sulphate in water? Where does the hydrogen come from when it is formed at the cathode during the electrolysis of sodiun sulphate solution? Need help badly guys just these two questions need answering
Love
Tish
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Laiticia)
Hi guys
Could you help me?

Can someone help me with these 2 questions? First one is How do the results for elecrolysing compounds in soloution deffer from the results for electrolysing molten compounds?
Second is Which4 elements are present in the solution of sodium sulphate in water? Where does the hydrogen come from when it is formed at the cathode during the electrolysis of sodiun sulphate solution? Need help badly guys just these two questions need answering
Love
Tish
Solution-something to do with aqueous-therefore water involved-maybe hydrogen/oxygen evolved from the water.
hornblower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
First one is How do the results for elecrolysing compounds in soloution deffer from the results for electrolysing molten compounds?
In a molten solution the cation (e.g. sodium) is evolved at the cathode. In an aqueous solution it is hydrogen.

Second is Which4 elements are present in the solution of sodium sulphate in water?
Sodium, sulphur, oxygen and hydrogen.

Where does the hydrogen come from when it is formed at the cathode during the electrolysis of sodiun sulphate solution?
The H+ ions from the water, since the water ionises to form OH- ions and H+ ions.

J.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (46)
21.2%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (49)
22.58%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (39)
17.97%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (44)
20.28%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (21)
9.68%
I haven't started researching yet (18)
8.29%

Watched Threads