This discussion is closed.
JrW
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I was just wondering what subjects everybody has studied or studying with the intentions of studying Law or already studying Law at Oxbridge?

Thanks
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jamierwilliams)
I was just wondering what subjects everybody has studied or studying with the intentions of studying Law or already studying Law at Oxbridge?

Thanks
Bio, Phys and Maths (mechanics) with chem and critical thinking at ASlevel.

G
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You should be able to find useful info on what A-levels prospective lawyers do at http://oa.waveflex.com
lawladuk
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Hey if it helps I'm off to uni to read Law in October, providing I meet the grades. I am doing A levels in English Literature, French, German and Music. These are all quite arty, though I know that no universities usually specify any subjects to read Law - so both science and arts subjects are fine. One thing I would say is that (from my experience) top institutions and particularly Oxbridge aren't too keen on non-traditional subjects such as health and social care and drama etc....something to bear in mind. In fact, a fellow of Downing College, Cambridge told me that the ideal candidate would offer Maths, Latin and History at A level so if you've got those you're doing well!
paymaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm doing Maths, History, English Lit at A2, plus Physics & Further Maths AS. Plus good old general studies... It was quite odd at my school actually, as they were really unhappy with me taking such a diverse range of subjects. I'm glad I stuck to my guns in yr 11, because when it came to writing my reference, they littered it with complimentary comments about my choice of subjects!
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think i want to do Law and im doing Maths, Physics, Economics, History and Art As...or maybe furhter mamths AS instead...

Latin sucks sooooooooooooo MUCH NO ONE TAKE IT. ITS THE MOST BORING SUBJECT EVER AND I KNOW, coz i take it for GCSE.
Othello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Institutions like Manchester like a mixture science subjects at Alevel. I was accepted at all the institutions I applied to, with the following subjects:

Maths/Further Maths
English Lit
History
Politics
German
smashgro
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
im taking english lit and lang, r.s., economics, and history (plus general studies)
DavidBrent
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i am doing eng lang and lit, geography, sociology and history
Dreama
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Whoever suggested they do not hold Drama in high regard could be mistaken...

After all advocacy skills is all about confidence, tone of voice, and public speaking..

I am studying Drama, English Literature, Modern History and Law at AS

Dreama xxx
lawladuk
Report 16 years ago
Dreama - don't take my word for it. check out the LSE prospectus. Both Drama and Law are subjects they prefer not to see. Advocacy is just one branch of the law - you cannot be a good advocate if you cannot reason logically and legally.
Karim
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i've got offers for law nxt year at cam, ucl and sheffield, doing english lit, history, philosophy and economics, which i only swaped to coz i couldn't hack maths, way too boring.
Cacambo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
LSE lists the following as A-levels they would rather not see, unless in combination with more 'traditional' ones:

Accounting
Art and Design
Business Studies
Communication Studies
Dance
Design and Technology
Drama/Theatre Studies
Home Economics
Information and Communication Technology
Law
Media Studies
Sports Studies
JrW
Rep:
?
what's a better combination?

Maths
French
History
English Lit

Maths
French
History
Economics

Maths
French
History
German
lawladuk
Report 16 years ago
either 1 or 3
JrW
Rep:
?
or would a science be more useful that English Lit?
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Maths
French
History
Economics

Definitely the best combo!
Karim
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lawladuk)
either 1 or 3
believe it or not i was talking to a first year UCL law student and she seemed to think that out of my A-level subjects (His, Eng, Philosophy and Economics), Economics will be my the most helpful A level subjects. It surprised me. History and Eng Lit definately give u practice and presenting arguements
lawladuk
Report 16 years ago
I don't disagree, although from these three clusters the central one would mean replacing English Lit or German. One thing that I have found is that having 2 languages really helps. In all 4 interviews I had at Cambridge they commented on what a 'wonderful' set of subjects I was studying. Also, lots of people see languages as a really important skill if you are to go into Law. Not only will it help with some of the terminology (alot of it derives from French when that was the language spoken by the law class, and of course Latin) but it will mean you have the opportunity to study an alternate European legal system. Bear this is mind - as long as you enjoy your subjects and are enthusiastic about them (and they are not the so called 'mickey mouse' ones which Oxbridge, like a lot of top institutions, disapprove of) then it doesnt really matter what they are. remember you dont need any specific subjects for Law. But having said that...Maths, History, English lit and French sounds a top class combination!!!!!
JOsh04
Report 16 years ago
so....Maths, Business Studies, Accounting, and PE is a no no !!!!.... LOL exactly the subjects im taking and im reapplying next year for law....
im doomed!!!
Still thinking whether to add A level italian to it!!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (44)
21.15%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (48)
23.08%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (36)
17.31%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (43)
20.67%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (21)
10.1%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
7.69%

Watched Threads