Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering what subjects everybody has studied or studying with the intentions of studying Law or already studying Law at Oxbridge?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    I was just wondering what subjects everybody has studied or studying with the intentions of studying Law or already studying Law at Oxbridge?

Thanks
    Bio, Phys and Maths (mechanics) with chem and critical thinking at ASlevel.

G

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to find useful info on what A-levels prospective lawyers do at http://oa.waveflex.com

ReputationRep:
    Hey if it helps I'm off to uni to read Law in October, providing I meet the grades. I am doing A levels in English Literature, French, German and Music. These are all quite arty, though I know that no universities usually specify any subjects to read Law - so both science and arts subjects are fine. One thing I would say is that (from my experience) top institutions and particularly Oxbridge aren't too keen on non-traditional subjects such as health and social care and drama etc....something to bear in mind. In fact, a fellow of Downing College, Cambridge told me that the ideal candidate would offer Maths, Latin and History at A level so if you've got those you're doing well!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Maths, History, English Lit at A2, plus Physics & Further Maths AS. Plus good old general studies... It was quite odd at my school actually, as they were really unhappy with me taking such a diverse range of subjects. I'm glad I stuck to my guns in yr 11, because when it came to writing my reference, they littered it with complimentary comments about my choice of subjects!

ReputationRep:
    I think i want to do Law and im doing Maths, Physics, Economics, History and Art As...or maybe furhter mamths AS instead...

Latin sucks sooooooooooooo MUCH NO ONE TAKE IT. ITS THE MOST BORING SUBJECT EVER AND I KNOW, coz i take it for GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Institutions like Manchester like a mixture science subjects at Alevel. I was accepted at all the institutions I applied to, with the following subjects:

Maths/Further Maths
    English Lit
    History
    Politics
    German

ReputationRep:
    im taking english lit and lang, r.s., economics, and history (plus general studies)

ReputationRep:
    i am doing eng lang and lit, geography, sociology and history

ReputationRep:
    Whoever suggested they do not hold Drama in high regard could be mistaken...

After all advocacy skills is all about confidence, tone of voice, and public speaking..

I am studying Drama, English Literature, Modern History and Law at AS

Dreama xxx

ReputationRep:
    Dreama - don't take my word for it. check out the LSE prospectus. Both Drama and Law are subjects they prefer not to see. Advocacy is just one branch of the law - you cannot be a good advocate if you cannot reason logically and legally.

ReputationRep:
    i've got offers for law nxt year at cam, ucl and sheffield, doing english lit, history, philosophy and economics, which i only swaped to coz i couldn't hack maths, way too boring.

ReputationRep:
    LSE lists the following as A-levels they would rather not see, unless in combination with more 'traditional' ones:

Accounting
    Art and Design
    Business Studies
    Communication Studies
    Dance
    Design and Technology
    Drama/Theatre Studies
    Home Economics
    Information and Communication Technology
    Law
    Media Studies
    Sports Studies

ReputationRep:
    what's a better combination?

Maths
    French
    History
    English Lit

Maths
    French
    History
    Economics

Maths
    French
    History
    German

ReputationRep:
    either 1 or 3

ReputationRep:
    or would a science be more useful that English Lit?

ReputationRep:
    Maths
    French
    History
    Economics

Definitely the best combo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawladuk)
    either 1 or 3
    believe it or not i was talking to a first year UCL law student and she seemed to think that out of my A-level subjects (His, Eng, Philosophy and Economics), Economics will be my the most helpful A level subjects. It surprised me. History and Eng Lit definately give u practice and presenting arguements

ReputationRep:
    I don't disagree, although from these three clusters the central one would mean replacing English Lit or German. One thing that I have found is that having 2 languages really helps. In all 4 interviews I had at Cambridge they commented on what a 'wonderful' set of subjects I was studying. Also, lots of people see languages as a really important skill if you are to go into Law. Not only will it help with some of the terminology (alot of it derives from French when that was the language spoken by the law class, and of course Latin) but it will mean you have the opportunity to study an alternate European legal system. Bear this is mind - as long as you enjoy your subjects and are enthusiastic about them (and they are not the so called 'mickey mouse' ones which Oxbridge, like a lot of top institutions, disapprove of) then it doesnt really matter what they are. remember you dont need any specific subjects for Law. But having said that...Maths, History, English lit and French sounds a top class combination!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    so....Maths, Business Studies, Accounting, and PE is a no no !!!!.... LOL exactly the subjects im taking and im reapplying next year for law....
    im doomed!!!
    Still thinking whether to add A level italian to it!!!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.