This discussion is closed.
!!!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hello people!

I'm new here and was wondering if anyone thinks if there is a pattern between GCSE's and AS Level grade wise.
For instance my GCSE's weren't really that good in comparison to what people have to have to do medicine. I only managed a couple of A's and 1 A* and rest B's. This maybe because i wasn't working hard or just plain lazy.

However in my AS year so far I have worked very hard and even some of my teachers say that I am doing better then people who have better GCSE grades.
I established the fact that grade's aren't looked at only and work experience and extra curricular work matters as well.
I have done work experience in various places so far and I also do quite a few sports and other extra curricular work.

So in summary will univeristies discriminate against someone who has not got good GCSE grades but obtained good grades at AS/A Level and quite a bit work experience etc?

Thanks for your opinions

!!!
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by !!!)
Hello people!

I'm new here and was wondering if anyone thinks if there is a pattern between GCSE's and AS Level grade wise.
For instance my GCSE's weren't really that good in comparison to what people have to have to do medicine. I only managed a couple of A's and 1 A* and rest B's. This maybe because i wasn't working hard or just plain lazy.

However in my AS year so far I have worked very hard and even some of my teachers say that I am doing better then people who have better GCSE grades.
I established the fact that grade's aren't looked at only and work experience and extra curricular work matters as well.
I have done work experience in various places so far and I also do quite a few sports and other extra curricular work.

So in summary will univeristies discriminate against someone who has not got good GCSE grades but obtained good grades at AS/A Level and quite a bit work experience etc?

Thanks for your opinions

!!!
GCSEs will definitely discriminate against you if you are up against someone with similar CV's but with different GCSE grades.

There is a correlation between GCSE grades and AS/A level grades.

But you can easily improve if you want to.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by !!!)
Hello people!

Thanks for your opinions

!!!
I'd expect your AS results will be far more important to unis than GCSEs and 1A*, 2As and Bs isn't a particularly bad set of results by any stretch of the imagination. If you're good enough at your subject, you could get into any uni in the country.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by meepmeep)
I'd expect your AS results will be far more important to unis than GCSEs and 1A*, 2As and Bs isn't a particularly bad set of results by any stretch of the imagination. If you're good enough at your subject, you could get into any uni in the country.
GCSE'S matter as much as AS Level grades
Pegasus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
GCSE'S matter as much as AS Level grades
I would have to disagree. Universities know that people don't have as much motivation to do well at GCSE than at AS/A level. Also they will respect the fact that you've worked hard in order to get top grades at AS level. And finally A*- B arn't bad grades at all!!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My university dosn't care about GCSES. They have the attitude that everybody deservers a second chance, all they are bothered about is A level results, that dons't mean that if you got E's and F's in your GCSE's they will make you an offer they won't. All they want is 5 A*-Cs which you need to study A levels anyway.
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
thing is I think uni's know a lot of people doss for GCSE's and don't put a huge ammount of effort in. For my GCSE's I look back now and realsie how lucky I was to get good grades with the ammount of work I actually did (eg music i don't think i lifted pen to paper for a year, funnily enough that was my worst grade) However, i think that work ethic carried on until AS in some of my subjects becasue I got into the patturn of dossing. In the end i was dissapointed with my AS results and it meant that i had to work my arse off in the final year to improve my grades. IN a way there isn't a correlation between GCSE and AS because there are cases like mine where i underperformed and then lots of people suddenly find the motivation to do really well and do much better than their gcse's would suggest. However, i think it was different when I did my AS's because it was the second year through and there was still a lot of confusion and most of my year at school assumed they weren't very important and did sod all work.

good luck with your application, i'm sure you'll be fine with your gcse grades
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
On the whole they just look at the way you score in everything... if they see you get far superior marks at A-level they'll notice that you've pulled your socks up.

hate to say tho, I was told that GCSE grades are a better predictor of how you will perform at uni level as they are far less specific than the A-levels.

Rednirts BF: personnaly i think the above mentioned system is wrong, gcses are much less complex than A levels many people have a limit in the complexity of subject they can study ie, do fine at gcse maths but not be able to get their head round differentiation etc. found in higher level maths.

however there is no point working too hard, you dont want to over achieve. i personally wouldnt want a surgeon operating on me who only got the job because he realy buckled down to get it.
George-W-Duck
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by !!!)
Hello people!

Thanks for your opinions

!!!

There is generally a pattern but theres always people who dont have to follow the trends! I wasnt really motivated to do well in my GCSE's, i knew i could do it but didnt show people how well i could do it, i got 2A* 5A 3B and a C, which is good by most peoples standards but i felt id let myself down and really pulled my thumb out last year, and have 5 A's at AS and 5 predicted A's at A2 so all i can say is try your best and youll get back what you put in!
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I can tell you about the realtionship between GCSE and AS in a few weeks... just need to do my maths coursework

lou xxx
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well depends on university, but when you apply to somewhere as selective as Oxford i really think it does not matter. Its is based on who you are... i believe thst the interviewers are excellent at spotting a fake, if you are good enough you will get in, no matter what your gcse, but it is required that you get the AAA at a level!

At other unis i think it is more important because the selection process is alot less personal. Ypu will stand more of a chance if you get better grades, but by no means should this put you off... i still think the emphasis is held on as/a2 levels
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I think GCSEs are a lot more important for degrees such as medicine, which require a broad range of skills, than for others such as maths or computer science, where most GCSE subjects are completely irrelevent. Even then though, good GCSEs would be a bonus since it proves that you are a hard worker (many people can get AAA in Maths, F. Maths and Physics a-level without much work but will need to work for a degree).

To the person who said that GCSEs don't matter for Oxford, I would have to disagree. For medicine, only about 30% of applicants get interviewed, and these are selected based on the BMAT and GCSEs. I remember somone on this board said that their friend had been rejected with a fantastic BMAT score because they got a B in english language GCSE. What you say may be true for other subjects, though.
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Harry Potter)
I think GCSEs are a lot more important for degrees such as medicine, which require a broad range of skills, than for others such as maths or computer science, where most GCSE subjects are completely irrelevent. Even then though, good GCSEs would be a bonus since it proves that you are a hard worker (many people can get AAA in Maths, F. Maths and Physics a-level without much work but will need to work for a degree).

To the person who said that GCSEs don't matter for Oxford, I would have to disagree. For medicine, only about 30% of applicants get interviewed, and these are selected based on the BMAT and GCSEs. I remember somone on this board said that their friend had been rejected with a fantastic BMAT score because they got a B in english language GCSE. What you say may be true for other subjects, though.
If you read the oxbridge boad you will find that there are countless people with GCSE's that are not as strong as you may think are typical for oxford. I think you are simply familiar with the trend that is followed amoungst the majority of OX candidates... if they get the grades at gcse then i presume that this is going to correlate with the strength of their A levels and hence thier application. BUT it does not mean that a person is selected BECAUSE of their grades, they just simply are not. it is because of who they are and their potential... it just so happens that these people generally tend to have higher gcse grades
Hawk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
GCSEs matter in some courses eg. medicine.

I have been told that even if you have 4 As at a-level but don't have a certain amoubt of As at GCSE they won't even consider you
as they want evidence of capability in a range of subjects where as A-level is only in 4 or 3 subjects.
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Hawk)
GCSEs matter in some courses eg. medicine.

I have been told that even if you have 4 As at a-level but don't have a certain amoubt of As at GCSE they won't even consider you
as they want evidence of capability in a range of subjects where as A-level is only in 4 or 3 subjects.
Definitly, in the majority of courses at 'good' unis it is compulsory that you have at least BBB at maths science and english
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by !!!)
Hello people!

Thanks for your opinions

!!!
My college definately thought so. A very smug teacher sat down with me and basically said you WILL get the following grades at A-Level because you go so and so in your GCSE's. She said this system never failed etc etc. Thankfully I proved her completely wrong and got top grades.
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
My college definately thought so. A very smug teacher sat down with me and basically said you WILL get the following grades at A-Level because you go so and so in your GCSE's. She said this system never failed etc etc. Thankfully I proved her completely wrong and got top grades.
Yep me too
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think that if you are able to secure an interview at any particular institution, your GCSE grades are then not as important! With courses such as Medicine, it is slightly different. However, i maintain that if one is interviewed, their GCSEs then become irrelevant.
MurphysMoment.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I didn't get spectacular GCSE results but my A Levels were good and I still got accepted to a red brick university to study a popular subject.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.71%
No (266)
33.29%

Watched Threads