The Difference Between Colonization and Emigration Watch

This discussion is closed.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I read this somewhere and I just wanted people's opinions on it.

"Emigration is moving to a new country and adapting to the countries way of life and thinking, Colonization is moving to a new country and refusing to change yourself at all and complaining that nobody understands you so that they change"

What do you think?
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I actually agree with that, though it is probably an offshoot of the actual reason. i.e. Colonization = view to conqueror the place,

Emigration = view to get to a better place
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
I'm pushing this up...I'm interested
JSM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
I actually agree with that, though it is probably an offshoot of the actual reason. i.e. Colonization = view to conqueror the place,

Emigration = view to get to a better place
its not just a view to conquer the place as that would be easy, it is a fairly cheap and easy way to ensure the safety or survival of a vital interest to you - without the need to conquer it.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
its not just a view to conquer the place as that would be easy, it is a fairly cheap and easy way to ensure the safety or survival of a vital interest to you - without the need to conquer it.
i.e. "Secure" it
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Yeah but if you go to an arabic country and carry on as you do at home that's extremley offensive. Whenever I've been on a holiday to an Arabic country I've respected their culture, worn long skirts and not spoken and stuff etc etc.
Who says our country's way of doing things is not a culture. If you don't support one of the British football teams (Scotland, Wales, England) some people find that offensive. Why doesn't it seem to work both ways?
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
Yeah but if you go to an arabic country and carry on as you do at home that's extremley offensive. Whenever I've been on a holiday to an Arabic country I've respected their culture, worn long skirts and not spoken and stuff etc etc.
Who says our country's way of doing things is not a culture. If you don't support one of the British football teams (Scotland, Wales, England) some people find that offensive. Why doesn't it seem to work both ways?
but why do you have to respect another country's cultural traditions if they dont go along with yours (actually i do, except i wouldnt for the no drinking in muslim countries).
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You should of course respect the country's laws and culture. However, at the same time you should be allowed to maintain your own culture and beliefs in the new country.
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
but why do you have to respect another country's cultural traditions if they dont go along with yours (actually i do, except i wouldnt for the no drinking in muslim countries).
for example if you were muslim in this country (Uk) your treatment of women would be in line with your religion not the country you live in.

what might link in here is the french govs decision to ban headscarfs.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
Because it's the law. If someone in England decided that their families honour had been upset and decided to murder someone because of it would you want that person prosecuted?
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
. If you don't support one of the British football teams (Scotland, Wales, England) some people find that offensive.
Some people are stupid.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
Because it's the law. If someone in England decided that their families honour had been upset and decided to murder someone because of it would you want that person prosecuted?
um, no its not just the law (e.g. its just religious, we were talking about cultural traditions, not the law, sometimes they link, othertimes they dont.)
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
for example if you were muslim in this country (Uk) your treatment of women would be in line with your religion not the country you live in.

what might link in here is the french govs decision to ban headscarfs.
and we respect the right to treat their women how htey want as long as it does not go agaisnt the law.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
um, no its not just the law (e.g. its just religious, we were talking about cultural traditions, not the law, sometimes they link, othertimes they dont.)
The reason you are not allowed to drink in many Muslim countries is because it's the law. Just because it's linked to cultural traditions does not change this, you are still obliged to respect it.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The reason you are not allowed to drink in many Muslim countries is because it's the law. Just because it's linked to cultural traditions does not change this, you are still obliged to respect it.
yes, but eg in Saudi Arabia, they do not mind if foreigners drink, you dont have to respect the law, but you have to folllow it and anything else should be good manners (if you consider them an assset).
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
yes, but eg in Saudi Arabia, they do not mind if foreigners drink, you dont have to respect the law, but you have to folllow it and anything else should be good manners (if you consider them an assset).
It is illegal for anyone to drink in Saudi Arabia. Sure, there is a huge black market for alcohol there, but I wouldn't advise walking by some cops on the main street with a pint of larger in your hand.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It is illegal for anyone to drink in Saudi Arabia. Sure, there is a huge black market for alcohol there, but I wouldn't advise walking by some cops on the main street with a pint of larger in your hand.
no, the authorities do not care if foreigners drink
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Hang on, it's not against the law to wear bikinis and stuff in countries like that, I mean during ramadan I was in Tunisia and you couldn't get a flamin' thing to eat for hours. We had to stock up before we went to bed and eat it where people couldn't see in fear of offending people and then when i was at college an islamic group (like social group) went past us in the cafeteria and were talking about how we were offending their culture.
We were at college, it was lunchtime...loads of people packed up when they said that but someone turned around and shouted at them to go back to their own country. Not that I agree with this person that shouted it but really, to make a comment that stupid in a 92% Christian/Atheist college....
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
no, the authorities do not care if foreigners drink
It's your funeral.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hang on, it's not against the law to wear bikinis and stuff in countries like that, I mean during ramadan I was in Tunisia and you couldn't get a flamin' thing to eat for hours. We had to stock up before we went to bed and eat it where people couldn't see in fear of offending people and then when i was at college an islamic group (like social group) went past us in the cafeteria and were talking about how we were offending their culture.
We were at college, it was lunchtime...loads of people packed up when they said that but someone turned around and shouted at them to go back to their own country. Not that I agree with this person that shouted it but really, to make a comment that stupid in a 92% Christian/Atheist college....
Intolerance
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (149)
60.57%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.47%
No- I want it (69)
28.05%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads