This discussion is closed.
londongirl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I have noticed many offers on here are AAB or AAA. If everyone is getting these types of offers, is it either really easy to get A's in A-Levels, or lots of people don't get into Uni.......?

How likely would it be for someone who is expecting B's mostly for GSCE's to get into Uni? I wouldn't ahve thought it would be too likely, if they ahd to get A's in college.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by londongirl)
I have noticed many offers on here are AAB or AAA. If everyone is getting these types of offers, is it either really easy to get A's in A-Levels, or lots of people don't get into Uni.......?

How likely would it be for someone who is expecting B's mostly for GSCE's to get into Uni? I wouldn't ahve thought it would be too likely, if they ahd to get A's in college.
Depends entriley on what course you want to do at Uni. Law and medicin are very competitive they want like AAB as there typical offer. Most students fail to reach these grades and go into something called clearing, whereby undersubscribed courses are made available to them, subjects like Mechanical engineering for example.

It also depends on what institiution you apply for, Cambridge and Oxford aka Oxbridge are overly subscribed.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by londongirl)

AAA is Oxbridge standard. not ur average uni.

u can go to uni with D's and E's
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Not all universities are gonna give offers of AAB or AAA at A Level. Quite a lot will give lower offers I'd imagine. Three of my offers were lower than that. A Levels are harder than GCSEs, not everyone's gonna get straight As in them. If you get Bs at GCSE, that won't stop unis taking you.. I think the minimum requirement is 5 A*-C passes, including English (probably Maths too). Your A Levels will be more important.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
Not all universities are gonna give offers of AAB or AAA at A Level. Quite a lot will give lower offers I'd imagine. Three of my offers were lower than that. A Levels are harder than GCSEs, not everyone's gonna get straight As in them. If you get Bs at GCSE, that won't stop unis taking you.. I think the minimum requirement is 5 A*-C passes, including English (probably Maths too). Your A Levels will be more important.
average for uni are C's i believe.
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
this board isn't a typical reflection of all students. For instance a huge ammount of people on the board have applied to oxbridge. Don't worry if your predicted B's you will have no problem at all getting into uni. Certain uni's will take you with E's.
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emom100)
this board isn't a typical reflection of all students. For instance a huge ammount of people on the board have applied to oxbridge. Don't worry if your predicted B's you will have no problem at all getting into uni. Certain uni's will take you with E's.
I agree. This forum isn't at all representative of the standard of grades that the average student doing A-levels is predicted of achieving/has achieved. A forum titles 'Uk LEARNING' is only going to attract the kind of students who are really interested in their learning which are usually the highest achievers, or the ones who have internet access at home..... again not a refelection of every 17/18 year old applying to uni this year.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
don't worry about your grades- uni offers vary a lot from course to course and between unis. i have 6 offers for the same course that range from ABB (with A in maths) to CCD. It's a case of applying to the course that suits you best- both in terms of subject matter and ability.

lou xxx
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i would have thought with e grades you could only do hnd courses...
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by waiting2smile)
Or be a teacher at TVU
I joke I joke
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
Or be a teacher at TVU
I joke I joke
what's tvu? sorry if i'm slow
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I know of one course at the uni near where they ask you have at least one a-level at grade 'E' or higher - disgraceful!
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
I know of one course at the uni near where they ask you have at least one a-level at grade 'E' or higher - disgraceful!
that's so bad!
Cacambo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Depending on what course you are applying for, you may find that a standard offer at many of the 'Russell Group' can be as low as CCC.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what's tvu? sorry if i'm slow
Thames Valley University in London. Its like the worst ever university in terms of league tables. I'm sure its just a phase though.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Thames Valley University in London. Its like the worst ever university in terms of league tables. I'm sure its just a phase though.
ACTUALLY, Thames Valley University is in Slough where The Office is shot, and the place that Ali G disses compared to his beloved 'Staines'....

the number of times i've gone past that roundabout in slough and made passing jokes about attending TVU....
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
wasn't it the case that last year, a university near Southampton (or was it actually southampton), admitted some students who had failed all their A-Levels? Their philosophy was that it's never too late to learn - hence you don't even NEED a-levels to get into some courses at uni...
londongirl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
thanks for your replies.. i was just asking through curiousity - I'm predicted mainly A*s at GCSE lol.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (7)
30.43%
No (14)
60.87%
Don't know (2)
8.7%

Watched Threads