Scrap "Mickey Mouse" Degrees!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Bagration
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What commonly constitutes a "good/respectable job" has never been related to income in this country.
conzag123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
Imo:

Mickey Mouse courses should be offered, but NO funding from the government. So if you want to study it, yeah you can, but it's going to be from your pocket. :yep:

And tbh, I think it's pretty obvious what's Mickey Mouse and what isn't. E.g. History isn't, but Media is.

In reponse to the many questions aimed at my opening post, all i have to say is:

read this

surely it's fairly obvious what entails "Mickey Mouse" and what doesn't.
Bagration
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by goodmen)
Philosophy etc
LOL
LauraJaney
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by pinda.college)
I think it's safe to say a 'David beckham' degree is pretty Mickey Mouse
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...fordshire.html

Its only a section of the degree but its just as bad really...
figglesmit
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I see how you think these kind of "mickey mouse" ( if you coined that word, nice one; might end up on wikipedia =D ) degrees are pointless and I agree, but the minimum entry grades of ABB idea would be ******* stupid.

You only get A's as a result of others getting lower grades. I just think people need to stop considering university as the only socially acceptable thing to do after A levels, so there's less pressure. Because there are some people who get blindly pushed through a private education with straight A's who don't give a **** about the random subject their dads chose while there are others who really have genuine ambition for further study....

People need to know whether they want to go to uni or whether they've been told they want to go to uni.
Irrelevance
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Mickey mouse degrees are, in short, degrees which you don't need but help in getting you far. Like if you wanted to be an estate agent, you don't need a degree to learn all the necessary skills to become a good estate agent. It just helps.
levantine
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yeah media studies, photography, event management (yes its definitely a degree!), golf management, soiciology, dance etc. they're all mickey mouse degrees..the 1st class honours you could get from these degrees aren't worth the paper they're written on.
urbanshoemyth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why do you all care what people study? It is their decision after all, not yours. I wouldn't comment on your decision to study history for example so why should you on mine?
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by goodmen)
Media Studies, Philosophy etc
1st one = yes
2nd one = no
Carroon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
in some aspects i completely agree but in others i disagree completely.... the other day i found a course with modern dance with law.... are you gonna dance to the jury!? however i wish to study sport with law and to some that may not be deemed worthy!! but alot of the time i think its a 3year filler so they can delay "growing up" however some emplyers just want to know you finished a degree and are capable
damos92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Imo:

Mickey Mouse courses should be offered, but NO funding from the government. So if you want to study it, yeah you can, but it's going to be from your pocket. :yep:

And tbh, I think it's pretty obvious what's Mickey Mouse and what isn't. E.g. History isn't, but Media is.
That's not true, you enjoy television, how do you think it gets to you? Stop echoing what others have said and think a bit, media is not a mickey mouse degree and i reckon it's neccesary. I'm not even planning on taking it btw.
im so academic
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by urbanshoemyth)
Why do you all care what people study? It is their decision after all, not yours. I wouldn't comment on your decision to study history for example so why should you on mine?
Reduced funding for other subjects?

E.g. is it fair that media and film departments are still being funded even when there are cuts, yet it's scientific research.

In addition, some working class students may still believe that "a degree is still a degree", e.g. a 1st in Media is the same as a 1st in Cambridge Maths. Do you think that it's fair that some students are being tricked into thinking their degree is worthy of some sort of value when it isn't?
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A "Mickey Mouse" degree is largely overblown term. To the people that are suggesting Media Studies and Philosophy as "Mickey Mouse" I think you're wrong, although there's some degrees which shouldn't exist.
urbanshoemyth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
1st one = yes
2nd one = no
How do you have the right to comment on if the degrees are "mickey mouse" or not?
Linweth
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Deja Vu anyone?
im so academic
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by damos92)
That's not true, you enjoy television, how do you think it gets to you? Stop echoing what others have said and think a bit, media is not a mickey mouse degree and i reckon it's neccesary. I'm not even planning on taking it btw.
Television - through science actually.

Using your example, what kinds of people developed the television? Is it possible for the television to have existed without science?

:dunce:
Law123mus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Got to be medicine!
im so academic
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by urbanshoemyth)
How do you have the right to comment on if the degrees are "mickey mouse" or not?
I don't have the right, but I do have the right to an opinion.

It's called a point of view.
urbanshoemyth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Reduced funding for other subjects?

E.g. is it fair that media and film departments are still being funded even when there are cuts, yet it's scientific research.

In addition, some working class students may still believe that "a degree is still a degree", e.g. a 1st in Media is the same as a 1st in Cambridge Maths. Do you think that it's fair that some students are being tricked into thinking their degree is worthy of some sort of value when it isn't?
I don't think it is for me to decide, that is the point I was trying to make.

I think a degree is a degree and I am middle class, I do not believe that people are tricked into taking degrees, each degree is different and they can all be used for different things
Dorito
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Film Studies. :facepalm2:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads