The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Jim-ie
I partly agree but I don't believe there is a such thing as a lower degree.

Firstly, media studies; where do you think your entertainment comes from? I regret not doing Film at university as its always been my passion, instead I took Politics. The reason I took a Politics degree was to learn how the world works, what makes it tick, yet I'll probably never work in that field, or at least I'll never work in party politics.

Secondly, even attending a university no matter the degree will always open doors or at least give a student an idea of what they can do with their life. I took a politics degree but ended up becoming more interested in languages and am now learning German, as a career choice. I finished University last term, I have doors open to me now that I never had before, and the same would be said if I took a degree thats considered a micky mouse degree (some people on here would consider a politics degree a micky mouse degree even though politics is what controls their life and their future education, get that for irony). I will always be able to progress with MAs and PHDs, or will be able to know whats better as a career choice because I opened my mind to the possibilities. I was originally going to become a brick layer, I'm glad I didn't, even if I'm on far less money at the minute.

Apparently Art courses are MM degrees, yet a society is valued not only by economics but by its culture. Fashion degrees are another apparent MM degree, where do you think the clothes half of the idiot students shouting for MM degrees to be scrapped come from?

No such thing as a micky mouse degree.

Good point well made. I don't see anything wrong with media studies as a subject or media studies students, it's just that it doesn't seem as though we need quite as many students graduating in these subjects as we do have.

In an age when university funding is such an issue, can we justify supporting this many places in subjects which might not be so useful to an individual or to society?

Perhaps the issue is the view that a degree is a life requirement. I just don't think everyone needs to get a degree for the career that they end up doing.
Original post by kbountra
At least she is benefiting from the degree socially. Maybe when she's got off with the rest of her course she'll move on to pro footballers and become a WAG. :smile:
What are you studying out of interest?

I'm going to be studying English & linguistics next year :smile:
i'm studying business and finance next year.

is that considered a "mickey mouse" degree?

any thoughts?
Original post by angrydanmarin
Oh i don't know...freedom of speech?

Jus sayin.

And philos is not a Mickey mouse degree, Though the problem is, whoever's doing it (like me) would say that, and that could be regarded as a biased opinion. Whereas whoever doesn't do it doesn't have the experience of it to judge it.

When did I say Philosophy is a Mickey Mouse degree?
Original post by truthandtragedy
It's most certainly their decision if they, the tax-payer, are funding these so-called degrees. I say it's all fair enough if the final degree, and thus career path, are benefiting the tax-payer who is essentially funding the degree. But, more likely than not, the degree is of no benefit to the ultimate socioeconomic power. So why bother?

I have career aims which will no doubt end up with me paying a lot in tax so I wouldn't say my degree is of no benefit, others might and I respect their decision, but at the end of the day it is my choice of subject.
Original post by leannebrand1
im talking about a BSC degree in it and there is no educational requirements but , now days they are looking for people with higher qualificationa than just A-levels .Also, you get pushed through the probationary period a lot quicker

Evidence of this?

From a simple Google search, "there is no formal educational requirement", like I said before. As far as I'm concerned, you're talking bull**** - WHERE does it say you get through it faster if you have a degree?

personally i say that it is my life, im not opting for the course not because i am too stupid to do otherwise as i could easily go do something like maths at a top uni then sit at a desk all day earning a lot of money. But thats not what i want to do... everyone has their own choice of what they want to do and people going around saying that they shouldn't is just wrong :mad:

You could easily get into policing without a degree (as the website says).

and btw read about what the course teaches you its not just how to walk along a street

Either way, it's your fault if you get into debt if you want to do your policing degree. It certainly is not necessary for your career aspirations, so if you want to get into debt, that's your problem. Technically you should not be going to university at all.

Why do you want to get into thousands of debt for?
Reply 386
Original post by AmeliePoulain
lol, your stupidty and ignorance makes me laugh. I think you are young and that life will teach you soon enough. You don't strike me as very bright at all so don't be too sure you would be getting a place at uni, if things were as you insist.

Stupid, stupid little girl.

That's not stupidity or ignorance, there are studies that back up what I've just said.

Also, you know nothing about my level of intelligence. I don't wish to sound arrogant, but I'm actually rather intelligent, a lot of my teachers describe me as a 'model student' and I tend to get good grades.

Thanks for your judgemental comments though, I appreciate it. :wink:
Original post by im so academic
Evidence of this?

From a simple Google search, "there is no formal educational requirement", like I said before. As far as I'm concerned, you're talking bull**** - WHERE does it say you get through it faster if you have a degree?

You could easily get into policing without a degree (as the website says).

Either way, it's your fault if you get into debt if you want to do your policing degree. It certainly is not necessary for your career aspirations, so if you want to get into debt, that's your problem. Technically you should not be going to university at all.

Why do you want to get into thousands of debt for?

1) I would say that you have not had any sort of work experience or chats with police about what they want .... I have

2) Like I have tried to say it's something that they prefer now days ( after actually speaking to them) and they also count it as life experience which they want. The are very unlikely to accept you straight out of school

3) Im quite happy to get into the debt and have never once moaned about it. Also, I believe that doing a degree would actually help enhance my career but also want the experience of uni as i know it is a good life experience to have (personal experience of a brother who went to uni and a sister who didnt)

4) who are you to be saying i should not go to uni at all. People on here think there all high an mighty and suddenly have the right to dictate what other can do with their life... they can't
Well I'm going to study art history...

but I want a career in museum curation, so surely it's not worthless if I will need it for my job?

Would an art history degree from Oxford be more respected than an art history degree from Oxford Brookes?

Obviously it probably would. So surely a lot of what is considered a 'mickey mouse' degree actually applies to what university it was from.

Maybe we ought to scrap the 'mickey mouse' universities?

I like the idea of a nationwide entry requirement into university but of course this would discriminate against a lot of people who haven't had the same oppertunites.

I think maybe we ought to out more emphasis on the slection process for universities, too be honest although UCAS is practicle, it's not necessarily the fairest method. Maybe we need more interviews, or something like a questionaire (although something much more serious-sounding than that)?
Original post by .Ali.
That's not stupidity or ignorance, there are studies that back up what I've just said.

Also, you know nothing about my level of intelligence. I don't wish to sound arrogant, but I'm actually rather intelligent, a lot of my teachers describe me as a 'model student' and I tend to get good grades.
Thanks for your judgemental comments though, I appreciate it. :wink:

Being a "model student" and getting "good grades" does not mean you are intelligent it only means that you conform. However you are obviously very young so perhaps you will grow in intelligence as you get older.
Indeed.
Reply 391
Original post by AmeliePoulain
Being a "model student" and getting "good grades" does not mean you are intelligent it only means that you conform. However you are obviously very young so perhaps you will grow in intelligence as you get older.

I agree, but you can't be completely stupid and do those things. You also mentioned university, and grades are a key element to get a place at a decent one. I really don't see how your miraculous powers of deduction have resulted to you coming to that conclusion. What have I said that makes you think I lack intelligence? Please, enlighten me.
Original post by urbanshoemyth
I have career aims which will no doubt end up with me paying a lot in tax so I wouldn't say my degree is of no benefit, others might and I respect their decision, but at the end of the day it is my choice of subject.

"Aims" being the operative word there. With the current economic climate, it's going to be a serious struggle getting into the industry you want. There's definitely no guarantees that you'll end up where you want, and so the tax payment you're talking about is questionable. And of course it's your choice, but the debate here lies with whether some choices should even be open for studying.
Reply 393
Is fine art considered a mickey mouse degree??
I thought "Mickey Mouse" degrees were supposedly easy ones. So are there actually people so backward that they consider Philosophy an "easy" subject?
Original post by urbanshoemyth
How do you have the right to comment on if the degrees are "mickey mouse" or not?

Everyone has the right to comment really, the whole idea of what's a "mickey mouse degree" or what's a "soft subject" is subjective, so of course people have the right to comment. It doesn't mean they're right. Nobody's really right, it's all about opinion. There may be degrees that are absolutely necessary to have to go into a particular area of work, in fact, most are...but others are not always needed to go into that area of work.
Reply 396
Fairly certain I could get a job a disney land with a mickey mouse degree amirite LOLOL
Original post by Jacktri
Philosophy is useless, it just teaches people to try and prove a point by confusing people with irregular phrases and words rather than just getting to the damn point.

Just shows that you don't quite understand what philosophy is really
Reply 398
Original post by adam_zed
I thought "Mickey Mouse" degrees were supposedly easy ones. So are there actually people so backward that they consider Philosophy an "easy" subject?

Because some perceive a mickey mouse degree as one offering limited job prospects. But philosophy being a fairly versatile degree has already been mentioned.

I'm sure some people do think it's a cop out and easy but they're just showing their ignorance really. It's not sitting on our arses and thinking about nothing all day - doing no work - then writing crap in an exam.

At my university the majority of those studying philosophy still come away with firsts and 2:1s. But it's still a lower percentage than those who get firsts or 2:1s in maths or history where, for whatever reason, degree inflation is particularly noticeable. In maths it's something like 25% get firsts, in philosophy it's not even 10%. You're almost guarenteed a first or 2:1 in maths. I'll have to check at the statistics but to be sure but I don't think that's far off. I don't think this can be blamed on the quality of the teaching or department as I have few complaints and I think it's fair to say that my experience of the department and its modules has been quite extensive.

I don't think many who call philosophy a mickey mouse degree will be able to cope with logic or metaphysics.
Reply 399
I'm doing Tourism and Hospitality Management with Hons. A degree in the largest industry in the world and an opportunity to work anywhere in the world, I'm happy with my choice

Latest

Trending

Trending