Report 9 years ago
I do history, OH SNAPE
urbanshoemyth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
I don't have the right, but I do have the right to an opinion.

It's called a point of view.
it's just that your opinion may make someone feel that they are not good enough and that is my point of view.
HeatherDBee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was under the impression that a Mickey Mouse degree was in fact when you graduated from this...
http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/c...wdw/index.html

apparently not.
Svenjamin
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
1st one = yes
2nd one = no
It depends on what you class as a Mickey Mouse degree. Plenty of my friends who have studied philosophy are finding it difficult to get graduate jobs since their degree is relevant to nothing in the workplace and so has next to no value. People argue analytical skills etc. but there is no direct career relevance to Philosophy, and transferable skills can be learnt in pretty much any course. It has historical prestige, but if you're going to count Media Studies as a Mickey Mouse career for lack of job prospects then Philosophy has just as much of a case to be classed as a Mickey Mouse course.

If you really want Mickey Mouse degrees banned then you need to state criteria for a Mickey Mouse degree and ban all those that meet the criteria, not just the courses that are subjectively looked down upon. Personally I don't think they should be banned (whatever they are), it's more of a lynch mob than a well thought out argument.
Jayuntitled
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am not currently at university and a lot of the courses I am looking at you would probably consider Mickey Mouse. To be honest mate you sound like an intelligent person and I do agree about languages. But you seem very narrow-minded in terms of society..

When I was at school I absolutely hated it, I hated it for a range of reasons - 80% of which were out of my control eg. family issues and a system (Australian Education) which basically says "I don't care how good you are, you don't do physics-chemistry or calculus so your grades are completely reduced and your options are now limited".

Given my grades were not of the highest standard, since leaving school and experiencing the world the way in which I have, I have matured and deeply regret my disappointing school results - However. I did have some fun when my life wasn't falling to sh*t. On the topic of study - I could go and get a job and not go to university, but what job will I really get? I could get a trade, become a mechanic - but do I want to do that? Not at all. I want to do something in the hospitalities/music industries.

If I were forced to become a mechanic (or other trade) I would not be motivated to go to work and I would not be a happy camper! Thus more likely to cause the society more harm then good.

I can understand your frustration with your course being funded, but without any evidence or backup, I'd say that is because your course is a much more resource intensive and expensive course than say, a course I pursue. Theres a range of reasons on this subject that I could mention, however, I'd choose to mention that without government support, there would be no point people like me going to these courses as you can be happy in your traditionally studied job, earning upwards of £60k a year. While someone like me would pay for a degree myself when really vocational training would have made more sense to my earning potential thus defeating the object of studying my course at university that makes me happy.

Basically my point is a lot of it comes down to enjoyment and happiness of the population, as well as freedom of choice. If I was forced into a job I dont enjoy, just like yourself, I would not be interested what so ever and my life would become seemingly meaningless and unenjoyable - making me a 'bad' employee.
Also don't forget! Attending university is about much, much more than a piece of paper or 'employable skills'!

-sorry for the rant :d Hope this sparks some interesting debate for you tho OP!
linkdapink
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I find it really weird this whole thing of "Mickey Mouse" degrees. I once wanted to be a cameraman (well woman) at one point and was told that I had to take Physics. I'm training to be a Maths teacher now, after switching from a Physiology degree, so went the complete opposite direction, but if I had chosen to pursue a cameraman career, then I would have had to do what the OP considers a "mickey mouse degree" to get into the industry. There should be more opportunity to get into the film and television industry, but that really can't be introduced by the government, and scrapping film and media degrees would not really help anything.
senator88
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Imo:

Mickey Mouse courses should be offered, but NO funding from the government. So if you want to study it, yeah you can, but it's going to be from your pocket. :yep:

And tbh, I think it's pretty obvious what's Mickey Mouse and what isn't. E.g. History isn't, but Media is.
Would you say Philosophy is a mickey mouse degree?
member398873
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
All courses requiring less than BBB should be scrapped, be it maths or media studies.
vixen23
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by conzag123)
Also I think there should be a minimum set of entry grades to get into a uni in the UK - I was thinking ABB.
Part of me wants to agree with this because I think it would also improve the working environment for students, and make others work harder if they want a uni place.
Then I also thought, why don't they make tuition fees lower for people with higher A-level grades?? Financial incentive is a good idea.
chronic_fatigue
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by urbanshoemyth)
Why do you all care what people study? It is their decision after all, not yours. I wouldn't comment on your decision to study history for example so why should you on mine?
LOL!!!
Jangrafess
Badges: 18
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Svenjamin)
It depends on what you class as a Mickey Mouse degree. Plenty of my friends who have studied philosophy are finding it difficult to get graduate jobs since their degree is relevant to nothing in the workplace and so has next to no value. People argue analytical skills etc. but there is no direct career relevance to Philosophy, and transferable skills can be learnt in pretty much any course. It has historical prestige, but if you're going to count Media Studies as a Mickey Mouse career for lack of job prospects then Philosophy has just as much of a case to be classed as a Mickey Mouse course.

If you really want Mickey Mouse degrees banned then you need to state criteria for a Mickey Mouse degree and ban all those that meet the criteria, not just the courses that are subjectively looked down upon. Personally I don't think they should be banned (whatever they are), it's more of a lynch mob than a well thought out argument.
As far as I'm aware, philosophy graduates have pretty good job prospects. It isn't a vocational degree, but it does teach you, as you say, analytical skills, and in a way that you really don't get in the same way as other degrees. Other degrees teach these transferable skills but don't make them quite so accessible as they're being taught.

However, I pretty much disagree that any degree is mickey mouse, so perhaps I'm at the other end of the wedge. Some are perhaps more taxing and academia-heavy than others, but each and every one has some aspect to it that makes it worth studying.
Claire_Spoon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by levantine)
yeah media studies, photography, event management (yes its definitely a degree!), golf management, soiciology, dance etc. they're all mickey mouse degrees..the 1st class honours you could get from these degrees aren't worth the paper they're written on.
You put in Sociology with Golf Course Management and Dance?

Die.
yoyo462001
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lechaton-x)
All courses requiring less than BBB should be scrapped, be it maths or media studies.
This. Rubbish degrees are not just rubbish because of their title but also because of their institution. Remember your university name impacts the use of your degree.
Quirynn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nah, they shouldn't be scrapped.
Some people actually take the degree as they enjoy what they're learning, not to benefit from some fantastically paid job, believe it or not!
im so academic
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by urbanshoemyth)
I don't think it is for me to decide, that is the point I was trying to make.

I think a degree is a degree and I am middle class, I do not believe that people are tricked into taking degrees, each degree is different and they can all be used for different things
People are tricked into thinking that BA Media is equivalent to BA (Oxon) Mathematics.
Eccentric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
All this complaining about "David Beckham" and "Zombie studies" stuff is nonsense (spouted by the tabloids) because they're modules in degree courses and even then I doubt if they provide many credits.

Degrees are about changing the way you think and how you perceive your interests.
Some people aren't afraid of taking a hobby or a non-academic interest to degree level, not everyone can do Sciences or wannabe academic subjects like Economics :P
(I jest)

Different strokes for different folks!

Also the government will always take advantage of students until they pay completely for university fees. Its just the way it is, life is unfair..... get used to it!!!

(By the way I am an undergraduate studying Physics )
Jayuntitled
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Quirynn)
Nah, they shouldn't be scrapped.
Some people actually take the degree as they enjoy what they're learning, not to benefit from some fantastically paid job, believe it or not!

this. Everything I want to say summed up in 1 sentence
.Ali.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by conzag123)
These degrees leave people with skills that no employer wants and thus are a waste of time and money for them and for the government. When they then can't find a job, it's the government who pays them benefits so it's a lose-lose situation for the governement.

On the other hand, Science, Engineering and Maths degrees are not funded nearly as much as they should be! The graduates from these subjects often get well paid jobs after university and pay high rates of tax, making it a win-win situation for the government!

Funding for language courses should also be increased, as we in England are simply pathetic at learning other languages and really need to raise our game on a world stage as many Britons have a terribly naive and plain wrong view that everyone in the world should speak our langauge!

Maybe funding for Economics courses should also be increased, so we don't get ourselves into such a terrible fininancial mess again!!

On the subject of "Mickey Mouse" degrees, I think it would be better for people considering taking these degrees to go and get a job insetad, as it will be much better for them in the long run, and the government. Also I think there should be a minimum set of entry grades to get into a uni in the UK - I was thinking ABB.

So, after what I've said, do you agree that "Mickey Mouse" degrees should be scrapped? And do you agree that there should be nationwide minimum entry requirements? If so, what should these requirements be?

After all, these proposals would save money and would mean only the smartest would go to uni, as it should be, not the 50% labour targeted, which is clearly ridiculous as uni is a privelege, and most certainly not a right, and so only the brightest students should aspire to go!

Thank you for reading, and I hope you have good reasons as to why such "Mickey Mouse" degrees should not be scrapped if you do not happen to share my opinion, as I would happily argue for their demise!
Agree. Uni should be for academic purposes, the 50% target is so stupid. It's not a God Given right to go to uni, it is (or should be, rather) if you have the intelligence and drive.
im so academic
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by senator88)
Would you say Philosophy is a mickey mouse degree?
Of course not. (But that's my opinion. There are plenty of people who think it is Mickey Mouse though).
ginkgo832
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The most well off would go to uni, not the 'smartest'

If you look at IQ tests taken from a range of children at say 5 years there are many really bright ones and some relatively bright, basically a general mix. Now when the same group of kids are tested at a later age those of a better social class had maintained if not increased their intelligence whilst the poorer kids were the ones whose IQ reduced. There have been many studies like this, go read at your leisure. Anyway the point is, this would create an even larger divide in class bevause.generally speaking graduate jobs are better paid than say working as a cleanet.

Your suggestion is effectively condemning those without the finances to hone and educate their children to a high degree, to a life of limited opportunity. It's stupid. Of course people exist who succeed despite the circumstances they grew up in but they are few and far between. Also it depends not just on your parents finances but also the social dynamics of your childhood, ethics and culture.

The point is these degrees do allow more and more people to widen their horizon and access further education and will of course help them in some way or other. Having a mickey mouse degree is better than having no degree if said mouse is of interest to you or will aid you in life.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads