The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Interview Chat Thread 2013 - PLEASE USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION

I've got an interview at Manchester university, has anyone had one before? and could give me some tips on what they are like, and what to expect, I'm pretty scared! Thankssss :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What course are you doing?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
well it entirely depends what course you've an interview for. But generally you can expect questions like why you chose your particular couse? why do it at manchester? probably something about your personality: likes, interests and hobbies maybe?
Reply 3
kizzz!
What course are you doing?

Cell Biology
Reply 4
Good luck! When did you send off your application?
Reply 5
misfit1993
I've got an interview at Manchester university, has anyone had one before? and could give me some tips on what they are like, and what to expect, I'm pretty scared! Thankssss :smile:

Oooh, I did that interview last year!
Reply 6
Banana_123
Good luck! When did you send off your application?

Thank you :smile:, and on the 29th of September
Reply 7
oddsox
Oooh, I did that interview last year!

Ohh wow :smile:, what was it like?
Reply 8
Erm.. It's quite an informal inteview, only lasts about quarter of an hour, and 95% of people invited to the open day get a place, so well done!

They basically sit down with you one on one and talk through your application, quite literally, so they start at the top, and say if your address is interesting, they'll ask you about that and so on and through the personal statement too, and you'll get off on a tangent a discuss something sciency or a hobby you're interested in. They only really ask you too real questions: "why manchester uni?" and "why ~insert course title here~?"

They'll tell you in the interview if you have a place or not. The rest of the day is spent having tours and talks, you can go look at the accomodation and stuff, and they will split you up from your parent/carer for the entire day.

They're only checking to see if your a nice person and connunicative, not a total creep - just smile and be friendly.

Congratulations ps. i'm from near yorkshire too!
Reply 9
oddsox
Erm.. It's quite an informal inteview, only lasts about quarter of an hour, and 95% of people invited to the open day get a place, so well done!

They basically sit down with you one on one and talk through your application, quite literally, so they start at the top, and say if your address is interesting, they'll ask you about that and so on and through the personal statement too, and you'll get off on a tangent a discuss something sciency or a hobby you're interested in. They only really ask you too real questions: "why manchester uni?" and "why ~insert course title here~?"

They'll tell you in the interview if you have a place or not. The rest of the day is spent having tours and talks, you can go look at the accomodation and stuff, and they will split you up from your parent/carer for the entire day.

They're only checking to see if your a nice person and connunicative, not a total creep - just smile and be friendly.

Oh thank you so much :biggrin:! I was getting worried. I'm not sure if the bit about the 'They'll tell you in the interview if you have a place or not' because it said in an email that I got that you hear back from them within 2 weeks after the interview, so that might be abit different now. But thank you ever so much! Can I ask what grades you got offered, and if you discuss that with them?
Reply 10
misfit1993
Oh thank you so much :biggrin:! I was getting worried. I'm not sure if the bit about the 'They'll tell you in the interview if you have a place or not' because it said in an email that I got that you hear back from them within 2 weeks after the interview, so that might be abit different now. But thank you ever so much! Can I ask what grades you got offered, and if you discuss that with them?

I got an email saying that too, and it doesn't update on ucas until then, it said that on mine too, but they still told everyone on the day.
They'll offer you your predicted grades, as long as they're within the bracket, I think it's AAB-BBB might be wrong though, look at the entry requirements on the website.
And I forgot to say, all the life sciences interviews are done together, so you may not be with cell biologists when you're shown round.
Reply 11
oddsox
I got an email saying that too, and it doesn't update on ucas until then, it said that on mine too, but they still told everyone on the day.
They'll offer you your predicted grades, as long as they're within the bracket, I think it's AAB-BBB might be wrong though, look at the entry requirements on the website.
And I forgot to say, all the life sciences interviews are done together, so you may not be with cell biologists when you're shown round.

Oh thats good news :smile:, I'd much rather hear on the day than waiting, and sorry to keep asking, but what sort of things did people/you wear for the interview? I'm abit unsure, I dont wanna be under or over dressed
Reply 12
misfit1993
Oh thats good news :smile:, I'd much rather hear on the day than waiting, and sorry to keep asking, but what sort of things did people/you wear for the interview? I'm abit unsure, I dont wanna be under or over dressed

Most people wore black trousers and a smart top, but there was one guy who came in a full suit and another in jeans. I wouldn't wear heels, because you'll be doing a lot of walking, and hardly any of the interviewers weren't in full suits anyway.
Reply 13
Original post by oddsox

hi :smile: i was wondering if you had any idea why the 5% did not get offers. If most people do get offers does your interview have to go terribly for you not to?
Reply 14
Original post by duality
hi :smile: i was wondering if you had any idea why the 5% did not get offers. If most people do get offers does your interview have to go terribly for you not to?

It was only an approximation, it's probably less than that who get rejected, you'd probably have to sit there and say nothing or swear. Or just don't turn up.
Reply 15
Original post by oddsox
It was only an approximation, it's probably less than that who get rejected, you'd probably have to sit there and say nothing or swear. Or just don't turn up.

thanks for replying! your making me feel so much better, got my interview on tuesday and i just keep on getting more and more nervous :/
Reply 16
i got an interview for biology last year, and this year i'm at manchester doing my degree :smile: can thoroughly recommend the life sciences faculty :biggrin:

my interview was basically someone talking to me about biology, going through my personal statement and generally asking me about my expectations, why i wanted to go there, etc. it was good, only lasted about 15mins and i got told i had an offer straight away :smile:
Reply 17
I've got an interview for Biochemistry as well on the 10th November, and this thread has really put me at ease
Reply 18
Hi- Just got an interview offer for biomed sci with an MFL(French) on 17th November- This is my 5th choice (I'm a medical applicant) and so my personal statement has nothing to do with the course, which makes me surprised I even got an interview!
Does anyone know what I should expect in terms of interview Qs? - apart from why manchester and why the course..
Reply 19
Original post by Lingo09
Hi- Just got an interview offer for biomed sci with an MFL(French) on 17th November- This is my 5th choice (I'm a medical applicant) and so my personal statement has nothing to do with the course, which makes me surprised I even got an interview!
Does anyone know what I should expect in terms of interview Qs? - apart from why manchester and why the course..

i've got an interview on the 17th too, for microbiology, and same as you it's my 5th choice (im a vet applicant).

i'm a bit worried they'll just concentrate on the fact it's my back-up and question if i really want to be on the course. or do people think they'd just concentrate on the course in hand i.e. microbiology, without basing it entirely on the fact that nearly all of my ps is veterinary based?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending