The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Simplicity
We aren't talking human actions. I'm talking about past. Note, I think everything is in flux.

A electron is in a wave particle duality, however if observed it becomes a particle. However, not observed it acts like a wave.

Not only that, but measuring an electron this side of the universe, will effect an electron on the other side of the universe i.e. EPR.

Measurements probably effect the universe in other ways.

I know of Young's double slit, Schrodinger's Cat, the work of Heisenberg on electrons and all of that, but I still feel it differs. The assumption is made that the past is still happening and can be manipulated, but the past to me seem untouchable and locked. The idea of the past still being in flux comes dangerously close to suggesting that time travel into the past is possible, which I don't think I will ever support. Yes, I believe that speeding up into the future is possible because of special relativity, but for me it's a one way journey.
Oxbridge Animae
Like for example, if someone decided that 2+2=5

If we decided to use a different label to denote the integer 4, mathematics would be unchanged. You can't 'decide' to make something like that different to what it is. If you have 2 objects and you add another 2 objects, there are what we call 4 objects there. You could call it 5, you could work in base 3 so we'd describe it as 11, but the number would still be the same and it would affect nothing.

Incidentally, changing the base we use would affect some things in some fairly interesting indirect ways.
Reply 22
Craig_D
the work of Heisenberg on electrons and all of that

Pretty sure Heisenberg worked on methamphetamine and not electrons :cool:
Reply 23
Kodias
Pretty sure Heisenberg worked on methamphetamine and not electrons :cool:

You sure? :erm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Heisenberg

Edit: Is this a reference to a TV show?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 24
Craig_D
Edit: Is this a reference to a TV show?

It is. You should watch it.
Craig_D
I know of Young's double slit, Schrodinger's Cat, the work of Heisenberg on electrons and all of that, but I still feel it differs. The assumption is made that the past is still happening and can be manipulated, but the past to me seem untouchable and locked. The idea of the past still being in flux comes dangerously close to suggesting that time travel into the past is possible, which I don't think I will ever support. Yes, I believe that speeding up into the future is possible because of special relativity, but for me it's a one way journey.

Yeah, I actually go on evidence and not intuition. There is nothing in principle to stop time travel and several plausible mathematical ways to travel back in past. You misunderstand relativity, you don't speed up the future.

QM doesn't assume that. It's just that stuff is entangled before you observe it. The point is you are seeing it through classical eyes, which is wrong.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Simplicity
Yeah, I actually go on evidence and not intuition. There is nothing in principle to stop time travel and several plausible mathematical ways to travel back in past. You misunderstand relativity, you don't speed up the future.

QM doesn't assume that. It's just that stuff is entangled before you observe it. The point is you are seeing it through classical eyes, which is wrong.

Alright, no need to be so abrupt. And I didn't say you "speed up the future" which would obviously be a ridiculous idea, you misunderstand what I said. I said speed up into, which was a concise way of going into the matter of time slowing down relatively for an object traveling at considerable velocity due to time dilation, which as an obvious guy of science I assumed would just accept without further comment and save me the hassle of writing.

OK, give me your mathematical models for going back in time?
(edited 13 years ago)
lovely_me
With goats milk?

Goats cheese is nice :yes:

Latest

Trending

Trending