Rejected at Oxbridge, is it a good idea to reapply? Watch

This discussion is closed.
JOsh04
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
As u all will probably be able to tell i was rejected from oxford this year, for a Maths and Philosophy degree.
Im thinking of reapplying, and changing my course to Law.
Good idea? Bad idea? why?
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How would you feel if you rejected again?
JOsh04
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
How would you feel if you rejected again?
i wouldnt mind, i mean i know its the place i would like to be in, however it may not be the place im meant to be in.
Othello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JOsh04)
i wouldnt mind, i mean i know its the place i would like to be in, however it may not be the place im meant to be in.
This maybe the case. I applied to Oxford and was given an offer of AAA, but also got an offer from LSE for AAB. Decided to go place LSE at the top of my list--never regretted it. I thought LSE was perfect for me. This maybe the case for you.
redcat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
As u all will probably be able to tell i was rejected from oxford this year, for a Maths and Philosophy degree.
Why the change of subject?
Othello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by redcat)
Why the change of subject?

Yeh, that is wierd!?
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sorry to hear that. If you really love Oxford (I do) and you see it as the best place to go (I do) then by all means reapply.

I met a fresher at Oxford who ONLY applied to Oxford and didn't see the point in going anywhere else, because he believes it it 'the best and only place to go'. Good on him. He would have reapplied, but he got in first time.

Make your decision only after you have visited all of your other chosen universities, if you have some. I was considering reapplying if i got rejected, but I got accepted. And I fell in love with Durham, my insurance.

I'm not sure about the change in subject. I'd personally try again for Maths and Philosophy. Bear in mind that you would be on a gap year, which adds further compications. Critically, the uni will want to know about what you are doing.

In Graham from Blind Date style again, 'the decision is YOURS!'

J.
smashgro
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Dont forget that statistically speaking it is harder to get into oxford to do law - on current figures from the prospectus:
law = 26.9% applicants get a place
maths and philosphy = 42%
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by smashgro)
Dont forget that statistically speaking it is harder to get into oxford to do law - on current figures from the prospectus:
law = 26.9% applicants get a place
maths and philosphy = 42%
But Josh may of course be a stronger Law applicant than Maths/Phil applicant. And if the change in subject is definite then it is probably a good idea to reapply anyway.

I'm in the same position of considering reapplying. I suppose it depends on what your teachers might say (as in were they surprised that you were rejected?) and whether there's anything you want to do in your year out.
Pollo Loco
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'd say go for it. You can do what you like in your year out but what you've really got to think about is if Oxford is the place you want to go to uni more than anywhere else then you should reapply. Besides you could well get an offer if you do something in your year out that shows you're still commited. Anyway, sorry about your bad luck, if you do reapply all the best.

PL
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Josh I am in the same kind of position as you - I am still incredibly distressed about not getting in and am consideirng the possibility of reapplying to Cam for philosophy. Perhaps, alternatively, you could try cambridge instead?
theone
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Perhaps you should see what grades you get and read up your subjects a bit more before you change subject so eagerly. And if you change from Math & Philo to law, i'd recommend changing uni, I doubt Oxford would be too impressed with the subject change, it shows a certain lack of commitment/enthusiasm this year on your part and would make a tricky interview question.
LBF
Report 16 years ago
I think, if i dont get into Durham that is, i will reapply for Law at cambridge again next year, after doing a year of gr8 work experience. (am planning a trip to Australia and New York working in law firms)
However im concidering changing college, from Queens to maybe Kings. Ive researched the place more and found out it favours state school ppl

Im still a bit numb after the initial shock of rejection.

Oh well, good luck in what you do

LB
katini
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I applied to Cambridge last year for Law and was outright rejected. I was going to take an offer to go elsewhere but then decided that History was more for me. I thus reapplied to Cambridge (different college) and was pooled but unfortunately nothing came of this.

I don't regret reapplying because obviously I am now going to do a subject that I feel is definitely for me. However I have found that a gap year is quite lonely unless some of your friends are at home too- it is much harder to meet new people just from having a job and going to an evening class. That said I am getting excellent work experience, combined with money which I can save for uni (or blow on travelling). Also I can visit my friends around the country- something which has been very useful in choosing which university I would accept in place of Cambridge.

What I am trying to say is that yes I think that it would be a good idea for you to reapply to Oxford but make sure that you're not only applying for a different subject only because you were rejected for Maths and Philosophy. You will have to read around the subject and come up with a substantiated reason for changing your mind because I think that the university will want to see a degree of commitment to your subject and having already applied to something so completely different may not demonstrate this. Also, plan ahead what you will do in your gap year so you don't get to January and start thinking "eek what am I going to do about booking my trip?" because then you'll realise that time is slipping away quite quickly!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by LBF)
I think, if i dont get into Durham that is, i will reapply for Law at cambridge again next year, after doing a year of gr8 work experience. (am planning a trip to Australia and New York working in law firms)
However im concidering changing college, from Queens to maybe Kings. Ive researched the place more and found out it favours state school ppl

Im still a bit numb after the initial shock of rejection.

Oh well, good luck in what you do

LB
This is not a favourable change of college - Kings is highly oversubscribed (even more than all the other colleges) and you are up against the top state school students as many are encouraged to apply to kings rather than many average independent school students who have got grades because they have been able to buy a better education than you

musicboy
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Josh I am in the same kind of position as you - I am still incredibly distressed about not getting in and am consideirng the possibility of reapplying to Cam for philosophy. Perhaps, alternatively, you could try cambridge instead?

I know you've been down about this. Was thinking, perhaps you could apply as a postgrad. Also, there's an added benefit, seeing as though a first class honours will be necessary for entry, it will keep you very highly motivated during your undergraduate studies.
akk713
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What about if I apply to the same subject??
nicola111
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by akk713)
What about if I apply to the same subject??
IM IN OXFORD, i GAINED MY PLACE NOT ONLY THROUGH MY GRADES BUT BECAUSE OF WHO I AM. DON'T DISCREDIT ANY OXFORD TUTOR...IF YOU ARE REJECTED BY ONE RESPECT THEIR JUDGEMENT..YOU DON'T CUT THE GRADE, FACE IT.... DO YOU NOT THINK OXFORD TUTORS ARE CAPABLE OF SEPARATING THE WHEAT FROM THE CHAFF? BELIEVE ME THEY ARE. IF YOU ARE REJECTED YOU ARE THE CHAFF... DON'T BOTHER GOING THROUGH THE PROCESS OF WINNOWING AGAIN!
THANKYOU...WHY NOT GIVE OTHERS THE CHANCE THEY DESERVE..IN MY OPINION YOU ONLY DESERVE ONE CHANCE
Canada Girl
Report 16 years ago
Wow--you must REALLY be starved for attention. Not only are you writing in capitals (very distasteful), you've posted this message in like 3 different places. Obviously you've got a lot of time on your hands coupled with some high anxiety. I suggest a workout--that way, you get into shape, don't offend anyone, and we don't waste our time reading your rude posts. Just a thought.

(Original post by nicola111)
IM IN OXFORD, i GAINED MY PLACE NOT ONLY THROUGH MY GRADES BUT BECAUSE OF WHO I AM. DON'T DISCREDIT ANY OXFORD TUTOR...IF YOU ARE REJECTED BY ONE RESPECT THEIR JUDGEMENT..YOU DON'T CUT THE GRADE, FACE IT.... DO YOU NOT THINK OXFORD TUTORS ARE CAPABLE OF SEPARATING THE WHEAT FROM THE CHAFF? BELIEVE ME THEY ARE. IF YOU ARE REJECTED YOU ARE THE CHAFF... DON'T BOTHER GOING THROUGH THE PROCESS OF WINNOWING AGAIN!
THANKYOU...WHY NOT GIVE OTHERS THE CHANCE THEY DESERVE..IN MY OPINION YOU ONLY DESERVE ONE CHANCE
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by nicola111)
Given your use of the forum I assume you are chaff rather than wheat
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (8)
27.59%
No (17)
58.62%
Don't know (4)
13.79%

Watched Threads