The Student Room Group

Blonde men: Why are they such non-entities in Britain?

Think about it, how rare is it to see a man with blonde hair in a position of power? Okay, you have that buffoon Boris Johnson as Mayor of London, but besides him, there is virtually nobody. When was the last time we had a blonde male PM?

Outside politics, I find it is rare to see blonde men at the top of their areas (science, business etc).

And why are there so many blonde women compared to blonde men? It seems that blonde women account for nearly half the white population, yet with men I'd be surprised if it is 20%. There can't be that many brunettes dying their hair blonde.

Why are they such non-entities?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's not just Britain, I can't think of any blonde presidents either.
Reply 2
Pfft random thread lol, but in the spirit of insomnia here goes... Ok well firstly, thats probably to do with the percentage of blonde men in our population - which is certainly less than brunette men. Then secondly blonde hair tends to change colour as you age in the majority of people -becoming more of a sandy or mousy colour. If you consider that generally most people won't reach a positon of power/note until they're older - then you could be overlooking a ton of people who would have been classified as blonde at one time in their youth (not to mention all the greying or baldies out there).

-Also I think you're grossly over-exaggerating the amount of naturally blonde women in our population - I'd say it's more like 15% tops.
Reply 3
Anoodles
Pfft random thread lol, but in the spirit of insomnia here goes... Ok well firstly, thats probably to do with the percentage of blonde men in our population - which is certainly less than brunette men. Then secondly blonde hair tends to change colour as you age in the majority of people -becoming more of a sandy or mousy colour. If you consider that generally most people won't reach a positon of power/note until they're older - then you could be overlooking a ton of people who would have been classified as blonde at one time in their youth (not to mention all the greying or baldies out there).

-Also I think you're grossly over-exaggerating the amount of naturally blonde women in our population - I'd say it's more like 15% tops.

This. In the UK, blonde is not a very common natural hair colour. Most men aren't as fussed about the colour of their hair as women so don't bother dying it blonde. I bet nearly all the women that you think are naturally blonde are mousy at best and have help from bleach.
Don't think there's that many naturally blond(e) people out there any more. But many women like to dye their hair blonde, whereas men don't really fancy that generally :p:
Because all blonde people are stupid obviously. Did you learn nothing from childhood jokes?
(edited 13 years ago)
Johnny Christ
Because all blonde people are stupid obviously. Did you learn nothing from childhood jokes?

this :yep:
Blonde women are generally bottle blonde as opposed to natural. I guess men just don't dye their hair blonde lol. There are SOME blonde adults that are naturally blonde though.

A lot of people are blonde as children but their hair ends up going darker as they get older. I was like that. I have a very VERY blonde son but I don't know whether or not he'll remain blonde when he gets older.
Reply 8
LivingMemory

Putin? Aka, Mr. Badass?
Reply 9
Because dark hair is sexier and everyone knows people in power should be sexy. :sexface:
I don't think "non-entities" is the right wording, are blonds attached to brunettes then?
Women are far more likely to dye their hair than guys are, hence why you see so many female blondes. My hair was naturally blond until I bleached it a couple of years ago, then the roots came through brownish. It's only just got back to being dirty blond.
PinkMobilePhone
Blonde women are generally bottle blonde as opposed to natural. I guess men just don't dye their hair blonde lol. There are SOME blonde adults that are naturally blonde though.

I'm a bottle blonde, but not too much. I am Swedish so I have naturally darkish blonde hair, but my roots have gotten darker as I have gotten older so I sometimes resort to the bottle, lol.

I prefer it this way.
I didn't know hair colour held any relevancy in politics. We learn something new every day.
Cicerao
Because dark hair is sexier and everyone knows people in power should be sexy. :sexface:

Oh i agree... :yes:
That's because blonde males look beta. I hate my hair. Blonde is very not attractive for males. I think.
Reply 16
I know two blonde guys who keep their hair dyed brown.

And a lot of naturally brunette girls dye their hair blonde.

Artificial colours tbh. :yep: :yep:
Reply 17
Up until the age of about 16 I had quite brilliant 'blonde' hair. Now, for the past 4 it seems to just be getting darker and darker. It does lighten up in summer months though. I'm sure by the time I'm 30 I will have brown hair :frown:
You could say the same about gingers.

Its because they're less common natural hair colours I presume.
Reply 19
LivingMemory

Northern european countries are full of blonde politicians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hair_color#Blond_hair
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending