This discussion is closed.
poppy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I amgoing to work with Camp America in the summer but i have just been told that I have to attent a face to face meeting with a consular officer at the American Embassy in London. Has anyone any experience of this, how long the meeting takes etc?
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by poppy)
I amgoing to work with Camp America in the summer but i have just been told that I have to attent a face to face meeting with a consular officer at the American Embassy in London. Has anyone any experience of this, how long the meeting takes etc?
I thinnk due to Camp America's popularity there shouldnt be a problem as well as you go well dressed and be polite. I had to get a sporting VISA to enter New Zealand last year, I had to get so many references it wasnt funny.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by poppy)
This isn't correct.

The citizens of existing "visa waiver" countries of which the UK is one, will all be required to have biometric information in their passports by October 2004. Where this information is added there will remain no visa requirement to be admitted to the US.

Only should you fail to have this info inserted into your passport will you be required to go to the Embassy for an interview to get a visa. But, as your trip will take place this summer, before the requirement comes into effect, it should'nt apply to you at all.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
This isn't correct.

The citizens of existing "visa waiver" countries of which the UK is one, will all be required to have biometric information in their passports by October 2004. Where this information is added there will remain no visa requirement to be admitted to the US.

Only should you fail to have this info inserted into your passport will you be required to go to the Embassy for an interview to get a visa. But, as your trip will take place this summer, before the requirement comes into effect, it should'nt apply to you at all.
But Camp America involves working for money - and so a tourist visa (which will only cover 3 months anyway) isn't appropriate so the visa waiver scheme doesn't apply. And the consulate is entitled to take any steps it wants to when issuing work visas.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
But Camp America involves working for money - and so a tourist visa (which will only cover 3 months anyway) isn't appropriate so the visa waiver scheme doesn't apply. And the consulate is entitled to take any steps it wants to when issuing work visas.
Oh, OK. I didn't realize CA was a working arrangement.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Oh, OK. I didn't realize CA was a working arrangement.
It's generally work for 3 months in a US summer camp as a sort of guidence councellor and then they pay you minus living expenses and travel costs (they pay for your flights) and you get a few weeks to spend your money and do the tourist thing.
Alpha Male
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by poppy)
What is Camp America? I wouldn't mind doing something like that working in America for a year or something, how do you get involved in tings like dat?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alpha Male)
What is Camp America? I wouldn't mind doing something like that working in America for a year or something, how do you get involved in tings like dat?
http://www.campamerica.co.uk/
Alpha Male
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
http://www.campamerica.co.uk/
Thank you
poppy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Alpha Male)
Thank you
They came to the university and did a presentation. You can sign up for work on the website but there are also what they call Directors' Fairs where they recruit you on the spot. You have to work for a minimum of 9 weeks then you can do the touristy bit.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (8)
30.77%
No (15)
57.69%
Don't know (3)
11.54%

Watched Threads