Oxbridge Chemistry w/o Further Maths? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Buzfvar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi!
Just a simple question here; If I only have Maths A-level and not further mathematics, but want to do chemistry at oxbridge, is further maths vital for chemistry as it is for physics and so do I stand a chance of getting in without Further Maths?

Many thanks for any responses...
JaF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have a friend who recieved an offer from Trinity, Oxford to read Chemistry who only has GCSE maths. But he is sitting AS maths this June. He applied to trinity because they were the least bothered by his lack of maths.
Buzfvar
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Ahh that's good.
I'm intending to get an A in A-Level maths.... hopefully this shan't disadvantage me too much
JaF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Are you going to apply for Oxford or Cambridge?
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It depends. One factor is whether you are able to do further maths at your school/college.

Another point to consider is what maths A-level you do - be it pure, or a mixture involving mechanics, statistics or (heaven forbid!) decision.

Oxford require chemistry and maths at A-level. Further maths helps, the pure maths in particular.

Cambridge - it depends whether you want to go down the physical or biological route. Further maths would definitely help with the former, but this may be at the expense of doing a biology based A-level, which would in turn constrain you to the physical route.

I hold an offer for chemistry at Oxford. I do the pure maths A-level. As long as you get the A grade, you shouldn't have to worry much.

J.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Buzfvar)
Hi!
Just a simple question here; If I only have Maths A-level and not further mathematics, but want to do chemistry at oxbridge, is further maths vital for chemistry as it is for physics and so do I stand a chance of getting in without Further Maths?

Many thanks for any responses...
u dont even need maths for chemistry.

not having further maths is absolutely fine, u wouldnt even need maths really.

u dont need Further Maths 4 physics.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
You really would be a bit of a twit not too though, non?
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
You really would be a bit of a twit not too though, non?
i dont do it at the mo, doing an AS in it next year
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
i dont do it at the mo, doing an AS in it next year
Yes but if you were going to apply for Physics at Oxford without Further Maths, I think they'd wonder why.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
u dont even need maths for chemistry.

not having further maths is absolutely fine, u wouldnt even need maths really.

Hmmm I also have to disagree with this one. Oxford and Cambridge seem to disagree too...

Oxford entry requirements

Cambridge entry requirements

Please don't make rash statements without evidence.

J.
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Yes but if you were going to apply for Physics at Oxford without Further Maths, I think they'd wonder why.

In some schools it's just not available due to lack of interest, timetable constraints etc. I want to do physics, so I'm currently in negotistions with my school to do AS Further maths next year. I know a girl who got an offer from Oxford this year for Physics without Further.
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
Hmmm I also have to disagree with this one. Oxford and Cambridge seem to disagree too...

Oxford entry requirements

Cambridge entry requirements

Please don't make rash statements without evidence.

J.

So I should be fine applying for Physical NatSci with Maths, Physics, Chemistry and English Lit, as I have met 1st requirement "3 science and/or maths at GCE A level"?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
In some schools it's just not available due to lack of interest, timetable constraints etc. I want to do physics, so I'm currently in negotistions with my school to do AS Further maths next year. I know a girl who got an offer from Oxford this year for Physics without Further.
Yes, of course if you don't get the opportunity to do further then you'll be on a level playing field, I think Oxbridge will look down on anybody who had the opportunity though.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
So I should be fine applying for Physical NatSci with Maths, Physics, Chemistry and English Lit, as I have met 1st requirement "3 science and/or maths at GCE A level"?
Yes, I would say that your A-levels are adequate.

One question that might pop up is why you don't do further maths. If you couldn't do this at your school, then this is taken into account. However, if you are able to do it, then either say you wanted to a contrasting arts subject or just lie and say your timetable can't accomodate it! (I'd recommend the former.)

As long as you're on track for A grades and competent enough in maths (especially pure and maybe mechanics) then don't worry.

J.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (8)
29.63%
No (16)
59.26%
Don't know (3)
11.11%

Watched Threads