This discussion is closed.
*babyjane*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
does neone have good notes on Othello (A level) they could mail me? my teacher's really rubbish but i don't wanna fail eng!!!!
Matt the cat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *babyjane*)
does neone have good notes on Othello (A level) they could mail me? my teacher's really rubbish but i don't wanna fail eng!!!!
Nope, i have never studdied the text, what do you think of it... try 'york notes', i think they are very good and should provide you with all you need for the exam
*babyjane*
Rep:
?
i like it. the charaters are complex and i love the way you never find out the reason behind it all. Emelia's a good example of early feminism or as my teacher says "is fab". you should go see it some time.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i like it. the charaters are complex and i love the way you never find out the reason behind it all. Emelia's a good example of early feminism or as my teacher says "is fab". you should go see it some time.
ive got york notes - am gonna read them all day tomorrow - can't really write them all out on here. is there anything u wanted 2 know in particular. i might be able to help
*babyjane*
Rep:
?
ur a star. i got an essay l8r on "do u think Iago has any valid reasons for treating Othello the way he does" if u no nethink bout that it would be great
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ur a star. i got an essay l8r on "do u think Iago has any valid reasons for treating Othello the way he does" if u no nethink bout that it would be great
that's pretty hard. Only things I can think of are that he's angry with Othello for promoting Cassio over him and he's also got suspiscions that Emilia has been sleeping with him - hold on i'll go & get my york notes
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well there are two views to this reworded version of whether Iago's villainy is justifiable... one is that he is a wronged man, who believes that he has served longer than Cassio, and is more loyal, yet he is not promoted; while he also suspects his wife of having an affair with Othello. The other of course, is that he is pure, diabolical evil (there's a quote by Samuel Johnson related to this, can't remember off the top of my head) - that all his mutterings and moanings are just excuses that he makes to the audience - that he really is the devil in disguise. His parting words From now on I shalt not utter another word shows that he is unwilling to disclose any reasons, which either means that he doesn't have any, or that he does have them but wants to keep them revealed. Either way, he is clearly not sorry for his part in the tragedy of Othello and Desdemona.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
well there are two views to this reworded version of whether Iago's villainy is justifiable... one is that he is a wronged man, who believes that he has served longer than Cassio, and is more loyal, yet he is not promoted; while he also suspects his wife of having an affair with Othello. The other of course, is that he is pure, diabolical evil (there's a quote by Samuel Johnson related to this, can't remember off the top of my head) - that all his mutterings and moanings are just excuses that he makes to the audience - that he really is the devil in disguise. His parting words From now on I shalt not utter another word shows that he is unwilling to disclose any reasons, which either means that he doesn't have any, or that he does have them but wants to keep them revealed. Either way, he is clearly not sorry for his part in the tragedy of Othello and Desdemona.
wow. but would you say any of these can justify the way he treats Othello? are they 'valid reasons' for him doing what he did?
Kyrotec
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
"Motiveless malignity" - Colerdige is an interpretation- question is basically up to you. You could argue that their are no valid reasons as Iago merely brushes convenient excuses to match his malicious thoughts etc. consider nature of his asides.., context of the situations, and by creating motives.. he is pursuing a great evil!
Alternatively you could say his favourite god was Janus!
My thoughts .. either way it is a yes and no question.. you argue your views - to what extent.. - then give your opinion at the end.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kyrotec)
"Motiveless malignity" - Colerdige is an interpretation- question is basically up to you.
that's a quote that I was trying to remember to put in my statement.

(Original post by Tinykates)
wow. but would you say any of these can justify the way he treats Othello? are they 'valid reasons' for him doing what he did?
that's the essay question - it varys according to your individual opinion and view. you have to examine whether Iago's 'motives' that he outlines are purely due to his suspicious and jealous nature, or he is diabolically evil, or whether he is actually being wronged. IMO he clearly plots this for a long time - so it is more due to his suspicious character - refer to the dual time scheme of the play.
also, i dont think he is pure evil, else he would not have been O's trusted lieutnant for so long. yet his reasons are not justified - it is his suspicious character and jealousy that forces him to commit the crime. he doesnt repent either, so it shows there is an element of the devil inhim.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
that's a quote that I was trying to remember to put in my statement.

that's the essay question - it varys according to your individual opinion and view. you have to examine whether Iago's 'motives' that he outlines are purely due to his suspicious and jealous nature, or he is diabolically evil, or whether he is actually being wronged. IMO he clearly plots this for a long time - so it is more due to his suspicious character - refer to the dual time scheme of the play.
also, i dont think he is pure evil, else he would not have been O's trusted lieutnant for so long. yet his reasons are not justified - it is his suspicious character and jealousy that forces him to commit the crime. he doesnt repent either, so it shows there is an element of the devil inhim.
yeah - i think the trouble with this module is that one side of the argument is easy to argue and the other side almost impossible. I would find it really hard to say Iago has valid reasons because i don't think he does. ahh well - looks like a retake in the summer for me
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah - i think the trouble with this module is that one side of the argument is easy to argue and the other side almost impossible. I would find it really hard to say Iago has valid reasons because i don't think he does. ahh well - looks like a retake in the summer for me
lol u did it 4 AS?

u don't have to argue FOR the statement.... tho if u do u'd better b good at playing up the 'psychological' stress that iago is under
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
lol u did it 4 AS?

u don't have to argue FOR the statement.... tho if u do u'd better b good at playing up the 'psychological' stress that iago is under
ok cheers. no ive got LTA4 on monday - Othello and Keats
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ok cheers. no ive got LTA4 on monday - Othello and Keats
is that for AS or A2? how come u're doing them 1st time?
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
is that for AS or A2? how come u're doing them 1st time?
A2. what do you mean? - it's jan modules
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A2. what do you mean? - it's jan modules
hmmm i'm either confusing myself or you.... I meant are you in A2 or AS? and i always thought jan modules were for retakes.... I had to take all of mine in the summer.
Kyrotec
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Question is a tad amibigious `.` arguing about the psychology of a character is v difficult . Problem with a-levels are that you examin texts in an intrinsic fashion which is seen as the tradionalist approach - largely what they expect. However, the question invites you to show an awareness of other factors external influences... As long as you remember central facotrs ; varied points, supported quotes, explanation (high marks). + If you argue against a critics view that can be quite impressive! Anyway up 2 you
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
hmmm i'm either confusing myself or you.... I meant are you in A2 or AS? and i always thought jan modules were for retakes.... I had to take all of mine in the summer.
I'm year 13 - i've done AS, now i'm doing A2. Jan modules aren't only for retakes, we're just getting this module out of the way early. well dum ppl are but im gonna be retaking in the summer. Don't you do any exams for the first time in jan?
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm year 13 - i've done AS, now i'm doing A2. Jan modules aren't only for retakes, we're just getting this module out of the way early. well dum ppl are but im gonna be retaking in the summer. Don't you do any exams for the first time in jan?
well I did a few maths modules - because we were doing double maths - we wouldnt have been able to fit it into our summer timetable.

but our school never entered anyone else for January modules. I'm surprised to find you can do exams then...... if only we could have done that - we wouldnt have had so many exams in the summer
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
well I did a few maths modules - because we were doing double maths - we wouldnt have been able to fit it into our summer timetable.

but our school never entered anyone else for January modules. I'm surprised to find you can do exams then...... if only we could have done that - we wouldnt have had so many exams in the summer
we've just been doing Othello & Keats for the whole of last term. Idea is do that - get the exam out of the way, then concentrate on Coursework and synoptic
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (153)
60.96%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.38%
No- I want it (70)
27.89%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise