The Student Room Group

Working whilst at uni?

Is there anyone that has a job and is at uni? As i considering London, i fear that i'm guna have to work during term time so that i have enuf money, is this possible? I'm concerned that if i do have to work then my studies might suffer. Has anyone had this problem? Are there any other alternatives?

Btw, i do work now and will be working all through the summer, so its not a case of me never having had a job and don't want one!
I work during Uni and the holidays; I do 12 hours a week and go full time during the holidays it doesn't affect my studies at all.
Reply 2
MurphysMoment.
I work during Uni and the holidays; I do 12 hours a week and go full time during the holidays it doesn't affect my studies at all.

Can i ask what you do? Would you suggest that is is better to maybe get an office type job or something that doesn't require as much thinking etc?
Reply 3
im actually looking for a job right now and im gna use all the money i make from that 4 wen i start uni.. (im in yr 13 atm) hopefully ill hav a nice big lump. (of cash i mean of course)
problem for me seems to be getting a job in the first place..!! no1 wants me boohoohoo..... :frown:
Reply 4
gemma1811
Is there anyone that has a job and is at uni? As i considering London, i fear that i'm guna have to work during term time so that i have enuf money, is this possible? I'm concerned that if i do have to work then my studies might suffer. Has anyone had this problem? Are there any other alternatives?

Btw, i do work now and will be working all through the summer, so its not a case of me never having had a job and don't want one!

Luckily there are zillions of job opportunities in London for undergraduates. Retail is the obvious one, just go down Oxford Street and hand out CVs. Maybe you can work just the one day in the weekend. Or an evening too.
Reply 5
mangomaz
im actually looking for a job right now and im gna use all the money i make from that 4 wen i start uni.. (im in yr 13 atm) hopefully ill hav a nice big lump. (of cash i mean of course)
problem for me seems to be getting a job in the first place..!! no1 wants me boohoohoo..... :frown:

I've hopefully got a job in an accountancy firm for the summer, and currently working every saturday. I'm guna apply to some other places as well for the summer, so i can keep my options open. I'm sure they do want you - i couldnt get a summer job last summer, i was rejected from every where because of uni ppl, which is why im applying really early this year! You will get a job soon! What sort of job are you looking for?
Reply 6
gemma1811
I've hopefully got a job in an accountancy firm for the summer, and currently working every saturday. I'm guna apply to some other places as well for the summer, so i can keep my options open. I'm sure they do want you - i couldnt get a summer job last summer, i was rejected from every where because of uni ppl, which is why im applying really early this year! You will get a job soon! What sort of job are you looking for?

I'm looking for a job full time until september and I'm having no luck becuas ethey either want experience or the guess I'm going to leave in a few months!
Reply 7
Peapod
I'm looking for a job full time until september and I'm having no luck becuas ethey either want experience or the guess I'm going to leave in a few months!

Are you taking a gap year then atm? Im sure there are places? have you tried firms that take interns etc? as if you are guna do a related uni course they may be interested
Reply 8
yeah i'm in the same position. I work at the moment and intend to work full time in the summer holidays but I don't really want to work at uni. Mainly because I don't want it to get in the way of uni work. I guess I'll see how it goes for the first few months and see whether it will fit in to what I'm doing.
Reply 9
KrazyAngel1
yeah i'm in the same position. I work at the moment and intend to work full time in the summer holidays but I don't really want to work at uni. Mainly because I don't want it to get in the way of uni work. I guess I'll see how it goes for the first few months and see whether it will fit in to what I'm doing.

That is exactly what im guna do - ie work full time in the summer for money, im just worried abt costs over the year, as im sure i dont wanna be workin in my last term at uni, as itnt that where there are more exams?
gemma1811
Can i ask what you do? Would you suggest that is is better to maybe get an office type job or something that doesn't require as much thinking etc?

I work in Sainsburys as a cashier and customer services supervisor; it doesn't take much effort at all especially when you've been doing it aslong as I have :P, Yeah I'd say do something that doesn't take up too much effort; heck I've even revised on the till before.
Reply 11
One of my housemates has a job in a bar in town. Its good cos its flexible (so she can go home in the hols and not have to worry about not being able to get time off). Also this bar shuts at 11pm every night, so she's home at a fairly reasonable hour, and it doesn;t really effect her studies at all (she does Biology and has 20+ hours of lectures/labs plus coursework and she still copes). She usually does 2-3 shifts in a week, so there is a bit of money coming in.
Reply 12
MurphysMoment.
I work in Sainsburys as a cashier and customer services supervisor; it doesn't take much effort at all especially when you've been doing it aslong as I have :P, Yeah I'd say do something that doesn't take up too much effort; heck I've even revised on the till before.

That doen't sound too bad actually - letting you revise on the till, blimey, it must have been quiet
Reply 13
Chicken
One of my housemates has a job in a bar in town. Its good cos its flexible (so she can go home in the hols and not have to worry about not being able to get time off). Also this bar shuts at 11pm every night, so she's home at a fairly reasonable hour, and it doesn;t really effect her studies at all (she does Biology and has 20+ hours of lectures/labs plus coursework and she still copes). She usually does 2-3 shifts in a week, so there is a bit of money coming in.

I was thinking about a bar job - i thought maybe it would be one of the less strenuous jobs. Are bar jobs quite easy to come by thought, as surely loadsa students try them?
Reply 14
gemma1811
I was thinking about a bar job - i thought maybe it would be one of the less strenuous jobs. Are bar jobs quite easy to come by thought, as surely loadsa students try them?

She found it quite easy to get - bar staff have quite a high turnover of staff so you can nearly always find a bar thats looking for staff. Usually bar jobs in the union have a waiting list so you can always put your name down on there, as its a convenient job to have.
Reply 15
We have been told when visiting unis (chemistry) that if you want to get the best from your degree you cant work but with degrees with a lower workload, or less contact time at least, you could manage a job, i'm intending just to work in the holidays.
Reply 16
cobra01977
We have been told when visiting unis (chemistry) that if you want to get the best from your degree you cant work but with degrees with a lower workload, or less contact time at least, you could manage a job, i'm intending just to work in the holidays.

That is why im worried, as the degree i wanna do has quite a few lectures, which im assuming will me a few tutorials. I dunno what the work load is guna be like - i reckon it mite be quite heavy
gemma1811
That is why im worried, as the degree i wanna do has quite a few lectures, which im assuming will me a few tutorials. I dunno what the work load is guna be like - i reckon it mite be quite heavy

What degree r u gonna do. i'm gonna do law which is supposed to be one of the hardest subjects so I doubt if i'll be able to cope with a job as well
Reply 18
KrazyAngel1
What degree r u gonna do. i'm gonna do law which is supposed to be one of the hardest subjects so I doubt if i'll be able to cope with a job as well

I'm guna be doing Accountancy & Finance. I know someone doing Law this year, and it has been a lot of hard work so far, but if its really what you wanna do afterwards, then its worth it I suppose

Latest

Trending

Trending