This discussion is closed.
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi Guys,

When applying for a place at Medical School, will it affect your chances if you have been treated for depression in the past. I not going to be applying till 2007/08 as I have human biology degree to do first.

Any help would be great, cheers.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It will probably reflect better on you having beat depression. It should by no means hinder you.
bougeoursie_Roo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
medicine is the course your most likly to come out of then start getting depression so whats a bit before?
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
Hi Guys,

When applying for a place at Medical School, will it affect your chances if you have been treated for depression in the past. I not going to be applying till 2007/08 as I have human biology degree to do first.

Any help would be great, cheers.
Surely they wouldn't know, because it would be private information.
nikk
Rep:
?
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
It will probably reflect better on you having beat depression. It should by no means hinder you.
It's just I know they look at your medical history as part of the application process. Competition is so fierce that maybe they would just dismiss your application because therre are so many others who would have a clean medical history? I don't know..
bougeoursie_Roo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's just I know they look at your medical history as part of the application process. Competition is so fierce that maybe they would just dismiss your application because therre are so many others who would have a clean medical history? I don't know..
thats discrimination against mental health suffers, thats not going to happen, depression is an illness that doesnt hinder your work in the same way as other mental illnesses, depression has often being likened to a broken leg, something that wont stop you from living a full life
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well I think it would be unfair to discriminate like that. Unless you're schizoprenic or something, I don't want my doctor to suddenly turn on me or anything. Though it would be easier to get a second opinion if I wanted...
nikk
Rep:
?
Hmm...maybe I am wrong, I thought it was a bit dodgy that they could look at your medical files.
bougeoursie_Roo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmm...maybe I am wrong, I thought it was a bit dodgy that they could look at your medical files.
they make u do a medical test, so they know if u have hep B or nething interesting like that, n i guess as long as a mental illness doesnt affect your personality or sense of reason or sense of ration in what you to patients or patient families they wont discriminate, n if you find out tahts the reason, sue their asses off n go to a better uni but this time with a bigger wardrobe...
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Wouldn't that be illegal without your permission?
nikk
Rep:
?
(Original post by bougeoursie_Roo)
they make u do a medical test, so they know if u have hep B or nething interesting like that, n i guess as long as a mental illness doesnt affect your personality or sense of reason or sense of ration in what you to patients or patient families they wont discriminate, n if you find out tahts the reason, sue their asses off n go to a better uni but this time with a bigger wardrobe...
Right thanks people...will be off to the doctors on Monday!
bougeoursie_Roo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Right thanks people...will be off to the doctors on Monday!
why on monday....?
nikk
Rep:
?
why on monday....?
The doctors are closed tomorrow.
bougeoursie_Roo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The doctors are closed tomorrow.
why you need an appointment so soon...?
nikk
Rep:
?
why you need an appointment so soon...?
Because this has been going on for a long time now and I need to get it sorted. I have been putting off going for about two years now as I was frightened that it would be held against me by the Medical Schools, but the people I have spoken too and speaking to you guys tonight have persuaded me not to worry about that.
boygenious
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Well I think it would be unfair to discriminate like that. Unless you're schizoprenic or something, I don't want my doctor to suddenly turn on me or anything. Though it would be easier to get a second opinion if I wanted...
hehe, good one
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (149)
60.57%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.47%
No- I want it (69)
28.05%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads