The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Does Aberystwyth have a reputation for being a Uni for unsocialable "geeky" people?

I'll probably get shot down for saying this but I'm not being judgmental.

Basically, I was at the Aber open day yesterday and I got the impression that mainly your stereotypical nerdy person (joins re-enactment societies, wears 'physics society' hoodies, not much fashion sense, etc) goes there. I have nothing against these sort of people(sorry for being judgmental!), but I'm looking to go to uni not only for a fantastic learning experience but also for the massive nights out and getting with attractive female student totty and the partying lifestyle. And with the small array of students I saw around the Uni yesterday, I'm not sure if Aber will have the same sort of party-going drink-chugging people I'd like to hang around with.

Of course I'm generalising a lot but I loved Aber so much and I know there's a good nightlife but I want to know if there those sort of "cool" students there in addition to all the "geeky" students because I won't fit in with the "geeky" students.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I already know what the nightlife is like (and it's pretty good - so that's promising) and I don't think my question would have gone down too well with the current students who I saw to be honest lol.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Did you not think that the people who like clubbing are less likely to be the kind of people who go anywhere near their uni's open day?
Reply 3
Yeah I thought that, but I wasn't exactly sure where the "people who like clubbing" hang around (I know I'm being naive and I'm generalising starting this post), I did see more "cool" looking people down at the sea front though.
notonmygapyah

Basically, I was at the Aber open day yesterday and I got the impression that mainly your stereotypical nerdy person (joins re-enactment societies, wears 'physics society' hoodies, not much fashion sense, etc) goes there. I have nothing against these sort of people(sorry for being judgmental!), but I'm looking to go to uni not only for a fantastic learning experience but also for the massive nights out and getting with attractive female student totty and the partying lifestyle. And with the small array of students I saw around the Uni yesterday, I'm not sure if Aber will have the same sort of party-going drink-chugging people I'd like to hang around with.

Of course I'm generalising a lot but I loved Aber so much and I know there's a good nightlife but I want to know if there those sort of "cool" students there in addition to all the "geeky" students because I won't fit in with the "geeky" students.

What a stupid thread.
Youre going to a University in England Wales that, according to you, has a great nightlife. So, dont you think that means that there will be lots of "cool" students as well?

Also, if youre so concerned about nightlife, why dont you just focus on London or one of the other big cities?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Yes I'm glad you've noticed it's a stupid thread, well done to you! Yeah I know, it's more the town that has a good nightlife, but I'm still pretty unsure. But I did love Aberystwyth because of the fact it WASNT a big city, and I read on TSR guide to Aberystwyth that it has good nightlife so it's a good mix of buzzing nightlife and peaceful seaside town, which I like the sound of (and to be fair, I don't know who's perspective of the nightlife it was: was it from someone who just goes out occasionally for the quiet drink and is not into the clubbing scene?). It's just wether or not the people I'd be with would also be up for a good night out.
Reply 6
according to their (very cheesy!) website, there's the student union, something called "the joint" (oh dear), and then a couple of small clubs in the town -

Angel Inn "Busy and unpolished locals' pub with dance floor at the back"
Pier Brasserie "Relaxed bistro, bar and not-too-hectic nightclub overlooking the sea."
Pier Pressure "Town's largest nightclub, with typical mainstream music and big dancefloor."
Why Not "Small, popular nightclub of long-standing."

http://www.aberystwyth.org.uk/foodanddrink/pubguide.shtml

http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/student-life/social-life/nights-out/on-campus/

I guess if you live on campus in your first year you'll be in the union quite a lot. You're right though - it's a quiet seaside town, I stopped there for lunch on the way to my D of E expedition and thought it was quite a quaint little welsh seaside town, but without the warmth or nice sandy beach of a big beach so I'd never consider going to uni there. But if you loved the place at the open day and it's a good uni for your grades/etc, definitely apply and don't be put off by arbitrary things like how many clubs it has!
Reply 7
angelmxxx
according to their (very cheesy!) website, there's the student union, something called "the joint" (oh dear), and then a couple of small clubs in the town -

It hast over 50 pubs though, which is a vast amount for a town of this size. I don't think you'd be stuck for places to go. THIS is a pretty comprehensive guide to most of them.

I personally don't think of the students here as particularly geeky. I mean, there's the reenactment society and things, but otherwise it's pretty normal. I suppose I wouldn't know though, since I'm not actually a student here.:dontknow:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Dusty12
It hast over 50 pubs though, which is a vast amount for a town of this size. I don't think you'd be stuck for places to go. THIS is a pretty comprehensive guide to most of them.

I personally don't think of the students here as particularly geeky. I mean, there's the reenactment society and things, but otherwise it's pretty normal. I suppose I wouldn't know though, since I'm not actually a student here.:dontknow:

I know there are lots of pubs, just the OP specifically was talking about clubs I think. Obviously if they're into pubs then that's great as they'll have loads of choice! :smile:
Reply 9
jakemittle
What a stupid thread.
Youre going to a University in England

:ahee:
Reply 10
danni2010
:ahee:

So this is the kind of thing you want to avoid ?:biggrin:
jakemittle
What a stupid thread

Youre going to a University in England that, according to you, has a great nightlife.

I think that comment removes any right you might have had before to criticise the OP's thread. Aberystwyth? England? Um..
Gemma :)!
I think that comment removes any right you might have had before to criticise the OP's thread. Aberystwyth? England? Um..

:biggrin:
Ive just noticed!!!!
My bad :O
Reply 13
About half of Aberystwyth's students went home this weekend. And many of the rest were hiding from the people on the open day.

And there are geeks and the "cool kids" in every University. There are also three clubs, if you're really into that kind of thing.
notonmygapyah

Are you sure you are going to university for the right reasons?

:erm:
Reply 15
angelmxxx
I know there are lots of pubs, just the OP specifically was talking about clubs I think. Obviously if they're into pubs then that's great as they'll have loads of choice! :smile:

Ah right, I see.:smile:
My cousin went to Aber, graduated earlier this year, and he comes from near Birmingham, so he's used to big night-life but as far as I know, he loved the nightlife at Aber, there were many of his facebook statuses where he said he had a "great night at Pier Pressure".

I'm from just over an hour up the coast from Aber, so I know a fair few people who are at Aber University, and none of them are particularly geeky - especially my cousin, who I think went for the nightlife more than anything :awesome: Aber isn't as big as the big cities like Manchester etc obviously, I'd say in terms of size of the town it's about the same size as Bangor, but I haven't visited either University so I can't comment on the size of those.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
From my experience I seem to know a lot of the 'cool' types, it's the geeky ones I'd like to see more of as I'm a geek myself. :p: I wouldn't worry there's plenty of people up for that kind of thing in Aber.

Æbbie
About half of Aberystwyth's students went home this weekend. And many of the rest were hiding from the people on the open day.

That is pretty much what I did. :wink: :o:
im so academic
Are you sure you are going to university for the right reasons?

:erm:

"i'm looking to go to uni not only for the fantastic learning experience"

sorry i forgot mention every other reason I want to go to Uni, believe me - the list of reasons is endless.

But I'm sure that most people go to Uni for a great social life too, obviously it's not that important to you.
The only reason people go to Aber is for the night life because I can't imagine you wanting to go for the quality of education.

Quick Reply

Latest