The Student Room Group

Help computer problem solving people!!!

I have a problem with my computer and although im quite apt with a pc for a non computing subject i have run out of ideas on how to cure it, i am looking to you good people for inspiration please!!!

A few months ago i turned on the pc and after an error message, several icons such as my dsl connection disappeared. I resolved all these problems but have only one left.

When i try and run Windows Media Player (V9) i get an error message saying 'An internal application error has occured'. Nothing else.

I have tried various ways of solving this.

- scandisk and defrag (i didnt hold any hope for this and was right).
- downloading the whole media player,outlook, explorer package from microsoft, this didnt work
- Downloading and installing the individual codecs for version V9 but this failed too.

Does anybody have any more ideas? I suspect it could be a system registry problem but dont have the expertise nor the willingness to risk trying to resolve it.

And in case you need to know, the bog standard version one media player thats also on your hard disk works but is useless when it comes to programs such as kazaa that run the windows V9 media player theatre in their main program and nothing else, making it a hassle to keep chopping and changing between problems.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Reply 1
Well, in most cases the sad experience says it´s the only choice to reinstall the entire windows system! Sorry don´t know better advice
Reply 2
wipe your hard disk and hope for the best.
Reply 3
elpaw

Thanks, that is the only valid thing i can think of, it just seems like such a hassle for a media player!
Reply 4
George-W-Duck
Thanks, that is the only valid thing i can think of, it just seems like such a hassle for a media player!

obviously save all the important stuff first.
Reply 5
George-W-Duck

Nah, just download Realone player from Real.com, it's much better anyway, and it's free!
Reply 6
George-W-Duck
I have a problem with my computer and although im quite apt with a pc for a non computing subject i have run out of ideas on how to cure it, i am looking to you good people for inspiration please!!!

A few months ago i turned on the pc and after an error message, several icons such as my dsl connection disappeared. I resolved all these problems but have only one left.

When i try and run Windows Media Player (V9) i get an error message saying 'An internal application error has occured'. Nothing else.

I have tried various ways of solving this.

- scandisk and defrag (i didnt hold any hope for this and was right).
- downloading the whole media player,outlook, explorer package from microsoft, this didnt work
- Downloading and installing the individual codecs for version V9 but this failed too.

Does anybody have any more ideas? I suspect it could be a system registry problem but dont have the expertise nor the willingness to risk trying to resolve it.

And in case you need to know, the bog standard version one media player thats also on your hard disk works but is useless when it comes to programs such as kazaa that run the windows V9 media player theatre in their main program and nothing else, making it a hassle to keep chopping and changing between problems.

Thanks for your help in advance!

What file types are you trying to access?
Reply 7
Not really.
Reply 8
dont reformat just yet!

what version of windows are you using?
Dickie
dont reformat just yet!

what version of windows are you using?

Xp, i think
Reply 10
Matt the cat
Xp, i think

one source of the problem could be something to do with JavaScript

download the file from the link below to (hopefully!) sort it out.

also, do you have any virus scanners running?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c717d943-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en
I found a way to fix the problem if the script install doesn't fix it. This is very simple and takes no time at all. Go to your Program Files/Windows Media Player and look for a file called setup_wm . Open it and you will get a Windows Media Player setup file. Just follow the simple onscreen instructions and download the file and your Windows Media Player will be up and running again in no time at all. Do not uninstall WMP because that will not fix your problem. Do this instead and you will be fine.
Click "Start"..then select "Run"....then type in "restore" and pick a date that was before the day it messed up. It should be fixed after it goes through with the restore processing.
Reply 13
elpaw

no need to hope for the best, thatll fix anything guarenteed :smile:

a format and reisntall of windows every few months does wonders for your machine and takes under an hour

Latest

Trending

Trending