The Student Room Group

The Royal Mail Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
HumorousGent.
Maynia, you're spot on. I went to a registration event yesterday and they didn't even interview me- I was pretty much offered the job on the spot.

Process went a bit like this:
-turn up, man ticks your name
-join queue, have documents checked (and photocopies made, at your expense)
-sit in a room watching a crappy presentation, waiting
-called through for interview

I actually turned up over an hour late (oops) but no-one but the guy ticking my name was aware of this so it had no impact on my interview.

My 'interview' was actually just a guy checking all my documents, asking if I was fine with the shift times etc. then saying 'I want to offer you this job'. I was pretty happy as it's the first job interview I've ever had! Nice bloke as well.

I did hear other people in the same room being asked questions but it didn't seem too taxing - it was just a large room with quite a few tables set out, interviewer on one side, interviewee on the other.

My contract details are 6th - 23rd December at the East London Sorting Office; 6pm - 5am shift (there was a 7pm - 6am available) from Monday night to Saturday morning; £6.50/hour; no uniform, just turn up in something fairly practical. The 'training' is just arriving 20 minutes early for your first shift, presumably to be shown how to throw letters in a bag (the 'presentation' in the conference room displayed that well enough for me)...

My interviewer recommended asking that during the contract you can ask your manage if there's any more work going, as that's how a lot of people get into Royal Mail. I'll definitely be doing so.

It's pure doss. Just turn up sober and you've got a few weeks of menial labour and about £1k in the bag.

Good luck.

(If anyone here's done it before, could you tell me when you got paid? I'm hoping it's before Christmas...)

EDIT: If you've not received an email with the list of stuff you need, here it is:

Step 1 Ensure that you have printed your application form. If you have not printed you will need to log back onto your application and click on “Print Summary”.

Step 2 Print out the attached bank details form and complete and bring to the Registration session with you. Royal Mail can only pay you through a bank account.

Step 3 - Print out the attached Health Consent form and complete and bring to the Registration session with you.

Step 4 Attached is a guide to what you will be required to bring to the Registration session. You will not be offered a job unless you have all of the required documentation.
You will need:
Proof of Identification
The correct Right To Work documentation for the UK
Proof of your current address (must be the same address you have applied on your application form).
National insurance number (although not mandatory it MUST be supplied if using with a birth certificate to prove your right to work). .

The attached form will detail all the requirements you need. You will be required to bring photocopies of each document as well as the original.

Step 5 You will also be required to bring a passport-sized photograph (45mm x 35mm) this is for your Identity card when you start work.

REMEMBER If you do not bring the required documents, you will be turned away from the event and we will be unable to process your application.

Step 6 Finally, book yourself onto a registration event.
Follow the link below and log onto your application you will see all the available dates and times so you can book your event on-line yourself.

There are a couple of forms attached which I can email to anyone if you've not received it from RM for whatever reason.

My printer ballsed up yesterday morning and printed everything in a sort of red and blue stripe, yet they barely cared.

Can you please email me the forms, i need them as i have not received from RM also do we have to take photos as well? And oh i dont have my passport but i have uk license :s-smilie: I am a uni student
Reply 21
HumorousGent.
Nope, it's full time, 55 hours a week. The only choice you get is between the two shift patterns (assuming one isn't already full).

If you can't fill all the time available I don't think they'll offer you anything I'm afraid.

I think mine said 40 hours, though i am not sure and i cant even check the timings as they dont have them on applivation:mad: I am just thinking is it worth for me to even go? because i am gonna pay £20 to get there.
:eek:
yashradia
Can you please email me the forms, i need them as i have not received from RM also do we have to take photos as well? And oh i dont have my passport but i have uk license :s-smilie: I am a uni student

Have you received ANYTHING from RM? If you've not got an invitation to the registration event then it's not worth me sending the other stuff to you! Have you checked your junk folders?

yashradia
I think mine said 40 hours, though i am not sure and i cant even check the timings as they dont have them on applivation:mad: I am just thinking is it worth for me to even go? because i am gonna pay £20 to get there.
:eek:

Oh, the centre I applied to was 55 hours, but it didn't state that in the application that I remember, and every centre might be different! I didn't actually find out the timings until the registration event. It seems the usual night shift is 10pm-6am, but the 11hr ones available to me were 6pm-5am or 7pm-6am.

Where have you applied to and when is the registration event?
Reply 23
HumorousGent.
Have you received ANYTHING from RM? If you've not got an invitation to the registration event then it's not worth me sending the other stuff to you! Have you checked your junk folders?

Oh, the centre I applied to was 55 hours, but it didn't state that in the application that I remember, and every centre might be different! I didn't actually find out the timings until the registration event. It seems the usual night shift is 10pm-6am, but the 11hr ones available to me were 6pm-5am or 7pm-6am.

Where have you applied to and when is the registration event?

Yes i have checked each folders but no email from them, and its actually an interview and hence i am asking that do i need my passport and my photos? I do have my license.
Hemel Hempstead

Yeah if i have to pick time gonna pick 10pm - 6pm Because its better and also i get more hours and during day go to lectures:eek:
yashradia
Yes i have checked each folders but no email from them, and its actually an interview and hence i am asking that do i need my passport and my photos? I do have my license.
Hemel Hempstead

Yeah if i have to pick time gonna pick 10pm - 6pm Because its better and also i get more hours and during day go to lectures:eek:

Tell me your email address and I'll forward you the message I got from RoyalMail - it's got all the information you need (other than time/date for the interview, which you should already have?)
Reply 25
HumorousGent.
Tell me your email address and I'll forward you the message I got from RoyalMail - it's got all the information you need (other than time/date for the interview, which you should already have?)

[email protected]

Thank you
There's people in many other Royal Mail threads saying they haven't got the documents. How is it possible they've neglected to attach the right details for SO many people? Can't you just email back asking for it?
yashradia

Email sent.

Dinosaurus
There's people in many other Royal Mail threads saying they haven't got the documents. How is it possible they've neglected to attach the right details for SO many people? Can't you just email back asking for it?

The address they use to email you is a non-reply one, so you can't just ask for the documents that way. There's probably another way but it does seem a bit long-winded and very unusual that so many are going missing - the only answer I can suggest is that their system is overload or they decided against interviewing the person after all :wink:

I can forward the documents to anyone who wants them.
yashradia
I have my interview next week for 30 mins. What should i expect?:confused:

I had mine too, it's not an interview (if it's for a xmas temp job). You go in, fill in forms and you have the job. First come first serve, all my jobs had gone :frown:
Reply 29
KellyWellyWoo537
I had mine too, it's not an interview (if it's for a xmas temp job). You go in, fill in forms and you have the job. First come first serve, all my jobs had gone :frown:

I applied for a xmas temp in Manchester on october 1st yet i've heard nothing at all from them

still says submitted on the website :-/

seem's like everyone in Manchester is getting a reply from them except me:confused:
Reply 30
Thank you so much.

Okay, so for interview its all checking the right forms and documents.
Do i need to prepare for any questions ie competecany questions??
Ahhh, mine is on friday so scared
Reply 31
KellyWellyWoo537
]
which branch?
So you didnt get call in for interview:s-smilie:
Yeh, it's all forms and checking you're allowed to work in the UK. They didnt ask me any questions other than did I have the forms but to be fair, they said "all your jobs have gone, you should have got here earlier, if you can work full time you've got a job", so I just said "well there's no point in me being here, bye" and left.
yashradia
]
which branch?
So you didnt get call in for interview:s-smilie:

I applied for Farnworth (Bolton) and heard back from them the day after. They email you and you choose your interview time etc.
Reply 34
KellyWellyWoo537
I applied for Farnworth (Bolton) and heard back from them the day after. They email you and you choose your interview time etc.

aww thats sad. Hope you find elsewhere:smile: Good luck.
I have my interview on friday so hope for the best:o:
They didn't ask me any questions. There's not really much competency required.

My interview wasn't till gone 2pm. One of the shift choices was taken but the other was still available so I took that. If the first-come-first-serve thing is true, just book your interview nice and early and hope for the best...
Reply 36
Is there anybody who has applied for greenford and had interview. What type of questions should we prepare for interview???
:confused:
Reply 37
HumorousGent.
They didn't ask me any questions. There's not really much competency required.

My interview wasn't till gone 2pm. One of the shift choices was taken but the other was still available so I took that. If the first-come-first-serve thing is true, just book your interview nice and early and hope for the best...

Is it really first cm first serve??? Then why did they call us for interview??
:confused:
Reply 38
yeah, thats why am also wondering, why they call us inn for interview? :s-smilie:
I don't know if it is, but that's what was suggested above.

One of the shifts available to me was already filled, which would suggest others had already got in before me earlier in the day. If they're offering jobs without interviewing properly then they're going to fill all the places on the day so getting in quick can only help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending