This discussion is closed.
ResultsDday
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Completing the SAQ and have said what I want to for the Additional PS in 198 characters. The word count says you're allowed 1200 characters! How long is yours?

Also I seem to be having problems putting what I want to say into words. Does this additional ps need to go through lots of drafts like the UCAS personal statement (don't really think I have the energy for it to be honest).
sentiment
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wrote mine in one go and I think it was about 800 characters - I had a bit to say because I've applied for PPS but just Politics at my other unis. As long as you've said everything you want to say I wouldn't worry - they'll be able to tell if you're just trying to fill space and will probably be grateful that you've kept it short!
jaheen22
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
At present its blank. I can't really think of anything to write in it
camuni
Report 9 years ago
Ididn't write one.
antta101
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sentiment)
I wrote mine in one go and I think it was about 800 characters - I had a bit to say because I've applied for PPS but just Politics at my other unis. As long as you've said everything you want to say I wouldn't worry - they'll be able to tell if you're just trying to fill space and will probably be grateful that you've kept it short!
woo. a fellow PPS applicant.
I pretty much used up all the space, but once again there is more subject matter to cover in PPS.

what college you applied to?? oopss oh i see. St catherines. Homerton here.
Amahia11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
1198 characters :awesome:

That's because I applied for chemical engineering at my other unis and chemical engineering via Natural Sciences at Cambridge, which is a unique course really. So it was worth writing an extra PS for me.

If you applied for the same course at all your unis and your UCAS PS covers everything, then don't do one. I know people who got offers without having written an additional PS...
Tyrotoxism
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i didn't write one (economics).
Mechie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
On the SAQ for Cambridge applicants there is a space for an additional personal statements. Do most people enter one or leave it blank? I feel I have nothing to say, but will this hinder, benefit or do nothing to my application?

Please don't move this to the SAQ mega thread, as I find questions rarely get answered in these type of threads.
Andre09
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
mine is blank
Mrs Cullen
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Mine was pretty short. I had said most of what I wanted to say in my original PS, and so I only put a few lines about which modules I thought I'd be interested in etc.

It's perfectly acceptable to leave it blank, because they won't want to read something unneccessary and just filling space. You only really need to write something if your original PS does not completely fit/you're applying for a different course/you have extra information specific to your Cambridge application.
RomanticChrissy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Mine's only around 400 characters.

(Original post by Amahia11)
I know people who got offers without having written an additional PS...
This is reassuring though!
Choirboy
Report 9 years ago
I too didn't write one. Am keeping my fingers crossed.
sebbetheman
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hmm is it better to write a short additional PS solely on which curse module that would be "extra" interesting than leaving it blank?
i.am.lost
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Applied last year, I used the whole 1200 characters. I just dug out my SAQ printout and wow did I write a lot of crap in there.

I'd say it's better to have something rather than nothing, but don't just write something for the sake of writing something, you know?
hunter'sdaughter
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
1200 characters :sexface:

:awesome:
NCN
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Are you in anyway at disadvantage for choosing not to write it? Just finished filling the rest of my SAQ.
Feels strange to write another personal statement, and to be quite frank I don't know what to write. :o:
Felix101
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you don't have anything to write, don't :p:. It'd probably be patently obvious to them that you're rambling. Although if there's any part of the course that's specifically appealing, write about it!
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
only write it if you have something worthwhile to write. nothing > generic crap.

no, not writing it wont stop you getting in
NCN
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As a matter of fact, there are parts of the course which I'm looking forward to. Well, I'm looking forward to the course as a whole, but the bits that I would really LOVE are taught partly in the second year and mostly in the third and fourth year. I was initially thinking of writing about these, but then I thought it might give the admission officer the sense that I'm daydreaming way too high somehow.
(Original post by Felix101)
If you don't have anything to write, don't :p:.
Might as well do! :p:
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
no, not writing it wont stop you getting in
Good to know. :moon:
Felix101
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by NCN)
I would really LOVE
Write this :yep:. Well not exactly that, but you know what I mean :p:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (144)
19%
Labour (323)
42.61%
Liberal Democrats (154)
20.32%
Green Party (41)
5.41%
Brexit Party (21)
2.77%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.26%
SNP (9)
1.19%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.79%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)