The Student Room Group

Edexcel Applied ICT AS Unit 1 filesize limit

Hi,

I'm doing the Edexcel Applied ICT AS course (two years early), and at the moment I'm doing Unit 1 (the Life in the Information Age ebook). I've very nearly completed the ebook, and have an outline for testing, evaluation etc. On the Edexcel website (http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/app-gce/app-ict/Pages/faqs.aspx) it says that the maximum filesize for the Unit 1 ePortfolio is 30mb. The trouble is that even after removing most of the multimedia content and compressing the rest down to almost unusable resolutions and bitrates (BTW I'm using ffmpeg with .flv, is there any vastly better format/encoder) I can still only get the filesize down to ~150mb.

If I were to just submit the ePortfolio with a larger filesize (and discuss it in the evaluation), would I loose a mark or two in the ePortfolio section or would they not moderate the ePortfolio? Alternatively, if I removed a lot of the multimedia and discussed this in the evaluation would I lose marks for not making effective use of the medium.

Also, what about if I were to compress the ePortfolio with something like 7zip? I haven't tried it, but I imagine that would reduce the filesize quite a bit. Would I lose my marks/would they not moderate it if the ePortfolio had to be uncompressed?

Thanks
Reply 1
The 30 Mb limit is a constraint under which you are expected to develop your work. Think of it as analogous to an aeronautical engineer creating an airplane that has a weight restriction or it won't fly.

Sometimes the moderator reports indicate that some portfolios are oversize, but at 150 megabytes, you're submitting the work of 5 candidates. I'm positive you'd loose points and with an oversize that large, I wouldn't be surprised if it were lots of points. Zipping the portfolio submission won't help; the accessible size should be 30 Mb or less.

Perhaps you could redesign your portfolio to include shorter or fewer videos and animations, as I'm sure that's what's pushing you over. Text, PDFs, and html rarely consume that much.

Cheers.
Reply 2
Thanks for the answer. You're right - it is the videos that are taking up most of the space, with the images still taking up a fair bit (around 29mb, although I'm pretty sure I can reduce that to around 10mb). I think I should just be able to fit 3 videos in there (not counting animations with just a few frames as they don't take up much more then images), each a couple of minutes long. Would this be enough, or would I lose marks for not making effective use of the medium (even if I explained about the filesize limit)?

Once again, thanks for the help
Reply 3
Hey Harry,

I am on my second year of Edexcel's Double Award in Applied ICT.
In unit 1 I got 100/100.
The size of my e-portfolio is (just checked) 108MB.
It's the videos that take up the space but what our tutor said to us was that we could just leave them in and it wasn't much of a problem.

I hope this gives you some help :smile:
Since I have done the first year and you are on it atm, If you need any more information or help with the units. Just send me a message and I'm sure I can help you ^^
Reply 4
wow jaqera you got full amrks? can you help me out? im really short on time. i'd be really grateufl. pls email me on [email protected] ASAP
thnx!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Jaqera
Hey Harry,

I am on my second year of Edexcel's Double Award in Applied ICT.
In unit 1 I got 100/100.
The size of my e-portfolio is (just checked) 108MB.
It's the videos that take up the space but what our tutor said to us was that we could just leave them in and it wasn't much of a problem.

I hope this gives you some help :smile:
Since I have done the first year and you are on it atm, If you need any more information or help with the units. Just send me a message and I'm sure I can help you ^^

Re-render the videos to a poor quality, should do the job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending