This discussion is closed.
viciouscircle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
ok im gna b applying for uni soon but so far i have nothing to write in my cv/application form and i keep getting told that this is how unis choose between candidates with the same grades. my school has no clubs or societies!- what can i do or join outside school which i could put down? ive heard that universities think well of volunteering but what sort of things can you do?!

thnx for your time
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viciouscircle)
ok im gna b applying for uni soon but so far i have nothing to write in my cv/application form and i keep getting told that this is how unis choose between candidates with the same grades. my school has no clubs or societies!- what can i do or join outside school which i could put down? ive heard that universities think well of volunteering but what sort of things can you do?!

thnx for your time
Work experience, DofE, that sort of thing, my school didnt actively do much and i wish they had but i got my own work experience in the field i wanted to study, it looks like youve researched and are dedicated when applying to unis.
gemma1811
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

thnx for your time
You could do the Trident Gold award, they like that. Also try to get some work experience related to the course that you wanna apply to. Are you interested in sports? Joining a sports club that is outside school is a good thing. Read books related to your course, and you could continue to learn a lagunage - ie teach it to yourself
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Or just make things up. Apparently you can join the national tai kwando (sp?) association without ever going near a rubber mat if you pay the membership fee.
viciouscircle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
make things up? like clubs youve been in? do they not ask to see certificates or teachers signatures or anything?
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
make things up? like clubs youve been in? do they not ask to see certificates or teachers signatures or anything?
Do community service at a place near you and make a big deal out of it.. like do a week and pretend you've done it for all your life.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You could add your interests too like the books you read, and projects you've done. There's no standard thing that unis like, and if you have good grades.. dont worry
Minta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Making things up to put on your personal statement is never a wise thing to do. The information on your PS has to tally with the things your teachers put in their reference, so if your PS has loads of clubs etc in it and your reference has nothing of the kind, unis will get suspicious. Of course, I guess you could always tell your teachers you are doing all these things outside of school and maybe they wouldn't find out you're lying...
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
EC stuff doesn't matter ALL that much. I didn't have much and got in to five out of six unis.
doodlebeetle
Report 16 years ago
e.g. I am currently raising sponsorship for a charity parachute, which will take place March. (Know which charity it is for though...!)

Also, dabble in a few things and then mention the ones you particularly enjoyed. You can always blag at interview if its something you were sufficiently interested in.

It doesn't mean you have to spend all your time doing extra curricular stuff and they don't have to be particularly impressive either!
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I can highly recommend doing some voluntary work with a charity. Last summer I did it, purely to put it on my personal statement. I realised however, that it is an excellent thing to do regardless of its ability to fill CV's etc. I learnt new things, met new people and most importantly - felt good about myself. One thing though - in not a single university interview did the subject crop up.

J.
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
I can highly recommend doing some voluntary work with a charity. Last summer I did it, purely to put it on my personal statement. I realised however, that it is an excellent thing to do regardless of its ability to fill CV's etc. I learnt new things, met new people and most importantly - felt good about myself. One thing though - in not a single university interview did the subject crop up.

J.
What work did you do and for which charity? Sounds good. Also, what did they ask you in the interviews - was it mainly subject stuff like "Why are you interested in whatever?" Did they mention anything at all from your PS??
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
What work did you do and for which charity? Sounds good. Also, what did they ask you in the interviews - was it mainly subject stuff like "Why are you interested in whatever?" Did they mention anything at all from your PS??
I did some work with a local Christian charity that provided furniture for the not-so-well-off. I chose to do van-work, so that involved directing the driver, dealing with clients and heavy physical work.

The university interviews were either full of soft-talk or purely hammering away at chemistry.
bananaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

thnx for your time
They're much more interested in seeing someone that's enthusiastic about the course they've applied for.
amyitfc
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
ithink i remember rnt u one of the ppl who has asked about geog before?if so, not many unis interview for geog so dont worry about it.

i agree with other people - i havnt done v much to be honest, but mangaed to fill my p.statement at a push. mention ur work experience, esp if it has some relevance to your course, then do trident gold. this includes work exp, volunteer work & a 'personal challenge'. in yr 12 we all had to do some community service stuff so thatwas that (i did a couple of hours in a charity shop every few weeks - not very much effort) & my personal challenge i counted by duke of ed bronze award. i was lucky, the school organised this.
try & become a 'prefect' of a subject or something - help out the teachers of the subj you are doing at uni with displays etc then you can say that.
ruthie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
it completly depends on where you apply, if you apply to oxford they tend to prefer tosee a dedication to work than lots of extra stuff!

people say oh unis dont care but i put alot down in my PS and i got into 6 out of 6 with fairly low offers! i went to one open day and was the only person who had already been given an offer the others had interveiws, The admissions lady basically said it was due to my PS so i think personally my PS got me my offers!

its not wise to make stuff up as they will ask you generally about it, i had indepth conversations with a bloke about guiding and theatre work. if you want to find things to do... volunteering over the summer, with local kids playschemes or you can get involved with guiding/scouting that always looks good! or charity shops you can do voluntree work in places like oxfam (oxfam being the best due to they will offer to send u to festivals as staff)

you will probably also find you have more to put down than you think! what do you do in your spare time? you can always rephrase things to sound good!

weekend jobs or babysitting anything you do you can put in!
good luck
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Or just make things up. Apparently you can join the national tai kwando (sp?) association without ever going near a rubber mat if you pay the membership fee.
You mean the TAGB? Why so that? You can get so much more on your CV by taking part. I help out with the junior club there and have that on my CV. It is also great fun. You never touch a rubber mat as you don't need one. Its about not getting hurt, so the only needs for mats are learning how to fall, so you dont need mats, and learning jump kicks.
But do join!
sneezyme
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
become part of the millenium volunteers! it's a well known organisation amongst employers and admissions tutors-basically u do any sort of volunteering ur into and then record the hours down on a chart. after 50, 100 and 200 hours u get a certificate for ur commitment and all that.
ruthie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sneezyme)
become part of the millenium volunteers! it's a well known organisation amongst employers and admissions tutors-basically u do any sort of volunteering ur into and then record the hours down on a chart. after 50, 100 and 200 hours u get a certificate for ur commitment and all that.
i wanted to join millenium volunteers but the rep said there wasnt any point in joining as i can back track the 200 hours in about 2 months! and so i went to the boat reception thing but never officially joined! silly rep lady
*skye*
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sneezyme)
hmm lol. we were told it was 100 and 200 hrs...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads