The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Freakonomics123
we dont even have FP4 :O hate to think what its like lol

AQA FP4 seems to be mostly stuff from Edexcel FP3, and AQA FP3 seems to be mostly stuff from Edexcel FP2, etc.

AQA FP1 is actually the one that's a little different. It has a few unique chapters in it, but some of it is pulled from C3/C4 syllabuses in from other Exam board specifications.
For the sake of grades, S2 i would say it is easier than s1 and alot easier then fp2
Jing_jing
Ooh, snap! :biggrin: For LSE. I think that from your scores, you're much stronger in pure, and LSE do put A LOT of emphasis on further maths for MathEc. I think that they're not going to penalise you that much for not having S2, I hope not anyway (seeings as I chose to do M3 instead of S2 :P:smile:. FP2 is a lot more rigorous though, and I think will be more helpful for MathEc. Not sure about your other courses though. Perhaps email them? That's what I do all the time, my uni choices must be sick of me by now XD

ha ye, i have e-mailed them an apparently i have to do 3 personal statements! :tongue: thanks for your help though, still got 2 months to make a decision, i mite try and persuade my teacher to teach S2 in class instead since our A2 class is 5 people :smile: anyways good luck with your choices hope you get to where you want
JChelseaBoi
For the sake of grades, S2 i would say it is easier than s1 and alot easier then fp2

ha ive heard that alot, but which exam board did you do further maths for?
Freakonomics123
ha ye, i have e-mailed them an apparently i have to do 3 personal statements! :tongue: thanks for your help though, still got 2 months to make a decision, i mite try and persuade my teacher to teach S2 in class instead since our A2 class is 5 people :smile: anyways good luck with your choices hope you get to where you want

You know you can only send one personal statment to every one of your choices through UCAS? Unless you send it directly to LSE? Not sure about the standard procedure here!

Ah, that's still quite a long time, see how you like FP1. You could do S2 through the further maths support programme?

^^ Thanks, my fingers are permanently crossed!
S2 is defo a least a 100 times easier than FP2 so if you want an easy exam then S2 is defo easier. In terms of how useful these modules are, S2 is more useful for things like economics etc and FP2 will be more useful if you are looking at maths :smile: hope that helps :smile:
Jing_jing
You know you can only send one personal statment to every one of your choices through UCAS? Unless you send it directly to LSE? Not sure about the standard procedure here!

Ah, that's still quite a long time, see how you like FP1. You could do S2 through the further maths support programme?

^^ Thanks, my fingers are permanently crossed!

2 extra personal statements are for CASS which i have to email to them :tongue: where can i get more information on further maths support programme, never heard of it :tongue:
nikita_atikin
S2 is defo a least a 100 times easier than FP2 so if you want an easy exam then S2 is defo easier. In terms of how useful these modules are, S2 is more useful for things like economics etc and FP2 will be more useful if you are looking at maths :smile: hope that helps :smile:

oo ok thanks, btw which exam board is ur opinion coming from?
are you on drugs? S2 anyday over FP2!
Freakonomics123
oo ok thanks, btw which exam board is ur opinion coming from?

The lovely OCR :p:
By the way I'm probably a bit biased because I am only part way through my FP2 course an I'm dying already. S2 was much more straightforward but I ended up with a B in the module anyway. :s-smilie:
Atm, I'm predicting me a U for FP2, just to put things into perspective :s-smilie:
Freakonomics123
2 extra personal statements are for CASS which i have to email to them :tongue: where can i get more information on further maths support programme, never heard of it :tongue:

http://www.fmnetwork.org.uk/

Here you go!
Ooh, okay, ouch, I know I would not be motivated enough to write another two PS!
nikita_atikin
The lovely OCR :p:
By the way I'm probably a bit biased because I am only part way through my FP2 course an I'm dying already. S2 was much more straightforward but I ended up with a B in the module anyway. :s-smilie:
Atm, I'm predicting me a U for FP2, just to put things into perspective :s-smilie:

ha il take that into account :tongue:

btw out of interest what did u get in statistics 1 and core modules?
Jing_jing
http://www.fmnetwork.org.uk/

Here you go!
Ooh, okay, ouch, I know I would not be motivated enough to write another two PS!

ha i think il just about manage it, thanks very much for the link :smile:
Freakonomics123
ha i think il just about manage it, thanks very much for the link :smile:

No problem, are you learning towards one or the other yet?

FP2 IS FUN!
Freakonomics123
ha il take that into account :tongue:

btw out of interest what did u get in statistics 1 and core modules?

I got As in Core 1, Core 2 and stats 1 :biggrin:
In fact out of all the applied modules I've done so far (S1, S2, D1, D2) apart from S1, they are all Bs :s-smilie: hopefully M1 will work out okay :smile:
FP2 is hard.

But its worth alot more to any uni's that know anything about maths.

I'm taking both :smile:
Jing_jing
No problem, are you learning towards one or the other yet?

FP2 IS FUN!

S2 is appealing to me much more than FP2, but the fact that i have to learn it myself and not through lessons is extremely off putting.
nikita_atikin
I got As in Core 1, Core 2 and stats 1 :biggrin:
In fact out of all the applied modules I've done so far (S1, S2, D1, D2) apart from S1, they are all Bs :s-smilie: hopefully M1 will work out okay :smile:

ye M1 doesnt seem to bad atm I've got the exam in january, need to get a high mark so i can get lower marks in the summer exams cos can't see myself getting A in Fp3 :tongue:
Jackster1234
FP2 is hard.

But its worth alot more to any uni's that know anything about maths.

I'm taking both :smile:

Are you learning FP2 and S2 now or after january?
Reply 39
Freakonomics123
Im doing OCR, do u know what S2 is like for that exam board?

Yes, I do it and it's ****ing brilliant.

:sogood:

S2 > FP2, but if you want to do Maths @ Uni, do FP2.

Good luck, and PM me for help, a fellow S2 and fellow OCR candidate with an A* in A-level Maths. :smile:

Latest