Keele Watch

This discussion is closed.
What's Chico Time Precious?
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I've applied and got an offer from Keele and was wondering if their were any Keele students on UKL? I went to an open day and liked it, quite small with a kind of friendly atmosphere. Anyway, i just wanted to know what peoples opinions were on the place/uni/life etc...
Peapod
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My friend is there and loves it - loads to do - she's doing fencing and salsa dancing which is quite bizzarre!!
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Absolution)
I've applied and got an offer from Keele and was wondering if their were any Keele students on UKL? I went to an open day and liked it, quite small with a kind of friendly atmosphere. Anyway, i just wanted to know what peoples opinions were on the place/uni/life etc...
I go to college quite near Keele Uni and I know the area quite well. It is quite remote and you either have to make do with the local bars or stay on camps if you cant be arsed to walk / taxi / drive to Newcastle (uner-lyme) or Hanley for a night out. The area is quite pleasent and the people nearby (including me) are generally very nice. On the whole living at / around Keele is quite cheap and student nights in Newcatle and Hanley (Mondays for Hanley) are decent enough. I have friends at the Uni and they love it in general. The Uni has a good reputation and they are spending A LOT on the sciences subjects (especially physics) right now (the new block is impressive). The accomodation is fairly standard Uni accomodation but it is perfectly fine for almost anyone!!!

If you have any specfic questions, please just ask!!!
Rep:
?
cool thanks, i saw the new building for medicine (not doing it) and it looked impressive. I also read somewhere Keele was thought to be a "radical" university, what does that mean :confused:
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago
cool thanks, i saw the new building for medicine (not doing it) and it looked impressive. I also read somewhere Keele was thought to be a "radical" university, what does that mean :confused:
Don't really know about "radical" but I know that the SU runs LOADS of stuff for the Uni and that students play a huge part in the running of the Uni. It could be related to the amount of freedom on the courses that you are given (my friends particularly like this)!!!
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leekey)
Don't really know about "radical" but I know that the SU runs LOADS of stuff for the Uni and that students play a huge part in the running of the Uni. It could be related to the amount of freedom on the courses that you are given (my friends particularly like this)!!!
lol cool, i don't know what it was about it but i had a really good feel about the place which i didn't really get elsewhere. Only problem i would have is getting to and from home, the M6 is murder.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Peapod)
My friend is there and loves it - loads to do - she's doing fencing and salsa dancing which is quite bizzarre!!
Do you mean as separate activities lol, together that could be quite dangerous
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My family live in Hanley/Newcastle, places mentioned in this thread, and I have to say the areas a bit depressing. I hear alot about the uni campus though, my grandma went there.
boxersarecool
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hi,
I have also got an offer to go there and going to another open day there soon. I have also had offers from Lancaster,Loughborough,Leiester, Liverpool and Reading.
However so far out of all the open day visits i have been to,Keele was by far my favourite.
I thought the campus was very green and looked like a lot had been spent on it recently. I found the accomadation fine, not brilliant but as good as all the other uni's accomadation i have visited.
The students i met seemed really helpful and friendly and the teachers also.
I went away feeling - yes i def want to go there. Before this i had my heart set on Lancaster and wasn't bothered about Keele, however the open day totally changed my mind and i am certainly puttin this as my 1st or insurance choice.
By the reference radical i think they meant - msot students at Keele do joint honours - this is clearly respected by employers - hence the fact Keele has a very high rate of employment.
Hope this is helpful, what degree have you an offer on?when did u go 2 the open day?
Love Alicia
Rep:
?
(Original post by boxersarecool)
Hi,
I have also got an offer to go there and going to another open day there soon. I have also had offers from Lancaster,Loughborough,Leiester, Liverpool and Reading.
However so far out of all the open day visits i have been to,Keele was by far my favourite.
I thought the campus was very green and looked like a lot had been spent on it recently. I found the accomadation fine, not brilliant but as good as all the other uni's accomadation i have visited.
The students i met seemed really helpful and friendly and the teachers also.
I went away feeling - yes i def want to go there. Before this i had my heart set on Lancaster and wasn't bothered about Keele, however the open day totally changed my mind and i am certainly puttin this as my 1st or insurance choice.
By the reference radical i think they meant - msot students at Keele do joint honours - this is clearly respected by employers - hence the fact Keele has a very high rate of employment.
Hope this is helpful, what degree have you an offer on?when did u go 2 the open day?
Love Alicia
wow yes thats exactly how i felt, i had my heart set on Liverpool but now i just don't know!
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Keele is pretty cool to be honest and I consider it a dark horse of the future, reputation wise. I don't live too far away either, infact, Leekey is my love slave that I keep caged up in my basement and everything he says is true (though how he manages to speak when he's decked in bondage gear I don't know?) :|
boxersarecool
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
'I consider it a dark horse of the future, reputation wise'
what do u mean?
Is this good or bad?
Alicia
sparkler
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i THINK he means that at the moment it is not really a well known uni, or if it is it isn't known for being that good

but in a few years, or whatever, people are gonna be loving it

kinda like a horse in a race that nobody expects to do well, but then it ends up doing quite good

you know?

lol

boxersarecool
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ok,that sounds quite cool!
Thank u 4 translatin 4 me!
What subject are u intrested in at Keele Absolution? Which open day did u got 2? Did u check out the accomadation?
Glad u thought the same positive feelin as me - means must be friendly uni!
Alicia
Rep:
?
(Original post by boxersarecool)
Ok,that sounds quite cool!
Thank u 4 translatin 4 me!
What subject are u intrested in at Keele Absolution? Which open day did u got 2? Did u check out the accomadation?
Glad u thought the same positive feelin as me - means must be friendly uni!
Alicia
i've applied for the 4 year Masters in Geoscience, u?
erm i went on a saturday in ummm november i think, i didnt see the accommodation though, looked nice on the outside
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm at Keele.
Rep:
?
(Original post by jammyd)
I'm at Keele.
do you like it?
what course?
would you reccommend it?
plenty of stuff to do?
accommodation nice?
anything else you like or dislike about Keele?
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
do you like it?
what course?
would you reccommend it?
plenty of stuff to do?
accommodation nice?
anything else you like or dislike about Keele?
I like it, but don't love it.

History and International Relations

I would recommend it, not for everybody though.

Do you mean sports and societies? If so, yes there are loads. The Union is often full of people whose primary intention is to get pissed. So that isn't good.

Accommodation is good. The en-suite is quite expensive, so if its your first choice you will get it. Ideally, the best halls are Holly cross and Lindsay hall.

I like the campus. I like the teaching. There does seem to be a bit of a drinking culture here though, but if you like that its ok.
Rep:
?
(Original post by jammyd)
I like it, but don't love it.

History and International Relations

I would recommend it, not for everybody though.

Do you mean sports and societies? If so, yes there are loads. The Union is often full of people whose primary intention is to get pissed. So that isn't good.

Accommodation is good. The en-suite is quite expensive, so if its your first choice you will get it. Ideally, the best halls are Holly cross and Lindsay hall.

I like the campus. I like the teaching. There does seem to be a bit of a drinking culture here though, but if you like that its ok.
excellent thanks very much, hmm drinking culture i'm not too keen on. do you know anyone doing a course in Geology or related subjects, if so do you know whether its good?
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
excellent thanks very much, hmm drinking culture i'm not too keen on. do you know anyone doing a course in Geology or related subjects, if so do you know whether its good?
I'm not keen on the drinking culture either, but everyone isn't into it - i'm not, and I know plenty of others who aren't too.

My friend studies Human Geography, and she loves it. She said she felt teaching was of a high quality, and I know a bloke from a society who studies Geography and he will be graduating this year, and he seemed to like the department and subject.

I forgot one other thing I love about being a Keele. They give non-language students the oppurtunity to spend a semester abroad, or if you study single honours International Relations, a whole year abroad!

hope that helps
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (101)
19.8%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (208)
40.78%
Nope, not that interesting (201)
39.41%

Watched Threads