This discussion is closed.
What's Chico Time Precious?
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
I'm not keen on the drinking culture either, but everyone isn't into it - i'm not, and I know plenty of others who aren't too.

My friend studies Human Geography, and she loves it. She said she felt teaching was of a high quality, and I know a bloke from a society who studies Geography and he will be graduating this year, and he seemed to like the department and subject.

I forgot one other thing I love about being a Keele. They give non-language students the oppurtunity to spend a semester abroad, or if you study single honours International Relations, a whole year abroad!

hope that helps
yep brilliant cheers, :cool:
boxersarecool
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Wow cool - thanks for lettin us no the inside view, is always more real than a glossy prospectus which is tryin 2 sell the uni!
Why don't u love it?
Do u find it a bit borin?
Does everybody no each other? (within reason obviously!)
I am hoping to also study human geography there with Human Resource management so is cool ur friend thinks teaching is good.
Would u say amount of Males/females fairly equal?
Are people friendly?
Sorry to ask so many questions
just is helpful as is helpful in tryin 2 decide if that uni is right for me

Thanku
Love Alicia
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by boxersarecool)
Wow cool - thanks for lettin us no the inside view, is always more real than a glossy prospectus which is tryin 2 sell the uni!
Why don't u love it?
Do u find it a bit borin?
Does everybody no each other? (within reason obviously!)
I am hoping to also study human geography there with Human Resource management so is cool ur friend thinks teaching is good.
Would u say amount of Males/females fairly equal?
Are people friendly?
Sorry to ask so many questions
just is helpful as is helpful in tryin 2 decide if that uni is right for me

Thanku
Love Alicia
Jeez, so many questions.

I can't really put my finger on why I don't love it. I don't like being in an all male block actually, that's probably about it.

I don't find it boring, but I have been bored a couple of times. I think this comes out of being in a same sex block. You might feel a bit cut off sometimes, and it can be a bit quiet at the weekends, but all you need to do is get on a bus, which are very regular, and you will be in town!

You will get to know everybody in your block (between 8-16 ppl) and people in lectures and seminars. Seminars are better though as you can have a bit of a chat! Also, societies are great, as you meet ppl who have a shared interest

I think males females is pretty equal. Apparently though, certain subjects, like Psychology for example, have a rather unequal mix.

All the people I have met and spoken to have been friendly.
boxersarecool
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ok, cool thanks for all the info!
I thought the halls were mixed? the ones i was given a tour of were i think - can't rem wot called maybe oaks or something?
Which is the best halls to go for?
Would u say the sex mix doin geog (esp human) be about equal?
I know isn't the most important thing but a good selection of males is a pull factor!

love Alicia
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ok, cool thanks for all the info!
I thought the halls were mixed? the ones i was given a tour of were i think - can't rem wot called maybe oaks or something?
Which is the best halls to go for?
Would u say the sex mix doin geog (esp human) be about equal?
I know isn't the most important thing but a good selection of males is a pull factor!

love Alicia
Halls are mixed, but your floor or block may be single sex. I'm in Oaks!

Best halls are lindsay court and holly cross

I would presume it is about equal, pretty much all subjects are
boxersarecool
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ok, I think was Oaks i went round - had ensuite rooms? Was past the geog department.
Ok i will try and aim for those halls?
Is it difficult if i wish 2 maybe bring a car?

Cheers
Alicia
x
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ok, I think was Oaks i went round - had ensuite rooms? Was past the geog department.
Ok i will try and aim for those halls?
Is it difficult if i wish 2 maybe bring a car?

Cheers
Alicia
x
Yup en-suite. Aim for Holly cross, that is next door to Oaks and is bigger, and its en-suite.

No it isn't difficult, but there is a parking problem. As a member of an environmental society I would discourage you from bringing a car!
boxersarecool
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ok, will aim for Holly X.
Would it help if i told u was enviornmentally friendly car! is why don't have to pay road tax on it.
is so i can visit my gnd who lives near but isn't well.
What u mean parking problem?

Alicia
x
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ok, will aim for Holly X.
Would it help if i told u was enviornmentally friendly car! is why don't have to pay road tax on it.
is so i can visit my gnd who lives near but isn't well.
What u mean parking problem?

Alicia
x
Yeah that would be good!

When I say parking problem, I mean that the University didn't keep a track of how many permits they sold at the start of this year, so they ended up selling many more permits than there are spaces!
boxersarecool
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ok cool, when would i apply for one?
Do u no the price of the permit?
Also which town do people tend 2 go 2?
Thanku for all advice
Alicia
x
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ok cool, when would i apply for one?
Do u no the price of the permit?
Also which town do people tend 2 go 2?
Thanku for all advice
Alicia
x
You would apply when you get here

I think its $15.

Town as in pubs, clubs, shops, bars, galleries, museums?? Newcastle is closest but Hanley has more of everything. Don't suppose you could give me some reputation could you?
Rep:
?
would you happen to know what the railway services are like at Keele, as i hopefully want to see my friends who will be all over the place.

ps: i gave you some rep. yesterday,
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Absolution)
would you happen to know what the railway services are like at Keele, as i hopefully want to see my friends who will be all over the place.

ps: i gave you some rep. yesterday,
Ah, thanks.

Well, you get a bus to Stoke station, takes about 30mins tops. Then the country is your oyster. Virgin Trains and Central trains go through regularly.
Rep:
?
excellent, also what are the girls at Keele like?
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Absolution)
excellent, also what are the girls at Keele like?
Funny you should ask, as there was an article in the paper last term. It was written by some bloke, and was titled 'Dispelling the myth'.

The opening paragraph is quite interesting "It has been mentioned (repeatedly) recently that the girls that attend Keele are for want of a better word 'easy'. This is feel is untrue!"

The rest of this article was this blokes opinion of why girls who moan to their best (male) mates should get together with them, instead of trying to find someone else who is uncaring.

Going back to your question, there are enough girls to go around definitely, but let me add that they do of course go from one end of the spectrum to the other - like anywhere else i'd imagine.
boxersarecool
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi,
Have just added to rep.
Why are the girls thought easy? What are the blokes like?
Alicia
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi,
Have just added to rep.
Why are the girls thought easy? What are the blokes like?
Alicia
It's just an urban myth.

The blokes, well, the whole point of the article was to say that blokes are easy and girls are not.
arghhh
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
I go to college quite near Keele Uni and I know the area quite well. It is quite remote and you either have to make do with the local bars or stay on camps if you cant be arsed to walk / taxi / drive to Newcastle (uner-lyme) or Hanley for a night out. The area is quite pleasent and the people nearby (including me) are generally very nice. On the whole living at / around Keele is quite cheap and student nights in Newcatle and Hanley (Mondays for Hanley) are decent enough. I have friends at the Uni and they love it in general. The Uni has a good reputation and they are spending A LOT on the sciences subjects (especially physics) right now (the new block is impressive). The accomodation is fairly standard Uni accomodation but it is perfectly fine for almost anyone!!!

If you have any specfic questions, please just ask!!!
hello, im currently at Cardiff uni but am thinking about changing to Keele uni coz the course there is better and i really liked the uni wen i went on open day, the only reason i didnt go there in the first place was coz i didnt think it had v.good night life but i have heard now dat its quite good on campus. do u think that after being in Cardiff i would miss the shopping, nightlife etc of the city??
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by arghhh)
hello, im currently at Cardiff uni but am thinking about changing to Keele uni coz the course there is better and i really liked the uni wen i went on open day, the only reason i didnt go there in the first place was coz i didnt think it had v.good night life but i have heard now dat its quite good on campus. do u think that after being in Cardiff i would miss the shopping, nightlife etc of the city??
In my opinion Cardiff is the better university of the two but Keele is a nice place. I don't think that you would really miss the shopping all that much because you have two quite good towns very close to you (one of which I live in) and they should provide plenty of scope for blowing your loan !!! The nightlife on Campus is actually quite good. The SU is really good at providing things for students to do and as if that wasn't enough, you have Newcastle which has some good clubs, bars and pubs as well as some fine curry houses and other take away's. If your willing to drive / taxi then you can go to hanley (where I live) which is about 5 mins away by car. There you will find may pubs and bars (many more take away's) which are all pretty decent. Its never going to be the world most vibrant place (don't even bother comparing to Manchester or Brum) but as a student it has everyting you could want. Keele's campus is very nice (as Im sure you know) and there is a very good atmosphere on campus due to the fact that EVERYONE on it is either a student or lecturer which makes it quite a nice place to chill with your friends. I now many people who go to Keele and they have never regretted it for a second!!!

If you would like to know anything specific then just ask!!!
edufly
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
regardless, keele doesn't have a very good record for employability after graduating

it maybe a beautiful campus, but career wise it may not be a good option
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (152)
61.04%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.42%
No- I want it (69)
27.71%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.83%

Watched Threads