haha, very good
Why thank you, I made it up myself
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
*gasp* really? Did I not demonstrate knowledge of that a few posts ago?
If knowledge is knowing of, then yes.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
How's this:

Let t = time, m = money, e = evil:

t = m <= Time is money
and m = root(e) <= Money is the root of all evil

Hence t = root(e)
t^2 = e

Time Square is evil! Don't go there!
Adapting from the 'women are evil' equation?
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ben.S.)
(-1)^(1/2) is denoted as 'i'. It doesn't exist, but is damn useful!

Ben
How do you mean 'it doesn't exist'? It exists just as much as an integer or a so-called 'real' number exists. It exists in that we have defined it to be something and it thus exists as that definition. It may be a slightly more abstract concept, but it 'exists' nonetheless, because we have defined it to exist.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rahaydenuk)
How do you mean 'it doesn't exist'? It exists just as much as an integer or a so-called 'real' number exists. It exists in that we have defined it to be something and it thus exists as that definition. It may be a slightly more abstract concept, but it 'exists' nonetheless, because we have defined it to exist.
incorrect.

the square root of a negative value doesnt exist. it isnt a real number.
try it on your calculator. "MATH ERROR".
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Adapting from the 'women are evil' equation?
Do what?
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
incorrect.

Actually Hayden's right, it does exist in the mathematical world. And in our world too seeing as imaginary numbers do have practical applications. I forget what but they do.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Do what?
Do nothing.

Women = time.money

time = money

money = root of evil

=> Women = evil
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Do nothing.

Women = time.money

time = money

money = root of evil

=> Women = evil
Never seen it in my life.

Does that mean then that given less time and money women are less evil? I don't think so!
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Actually Hayden's right, it does exist in the mathematical world. And in our world too seeing as imaginary numbers do have practical applications. I forget what but they do.
how can the square root of a number exist in this case, but not in every other case possible?

its just not being consistent.

its like saying:

" 1 + 1 = 2 but if its 2 + 3, then it can equal 6 because its special".

it just isnt consistent. if mathematics is based around that, then i think its flawed.

u cant have the square root of a negative number. u cant just change it for 1 value, thats just stupid.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Never seen it in my life.

Does that mean then that given less time and money women are less evil? I don't think so!
With less time and less money you are less involved, thus in effect of womens evil isn't as strong?
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
how can the square root of a number exist in this case, but not in every other case possible?

its just not being consistent.

its like saying:

" 1 + 1 = 2 but if its 2 + 3, then it can equal 6 because its special".

it just isnt consistent. if mathematics is based around that, then i think its flawed.

u cant have the square root of a negative number. u cant just change it for 1 value, thats just stupid.
But it applies to the square root of all negative numbers. The square root of -4 is 2i. Do your reading.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
With less time and less money you are less involved, thus in effect of womens evil isn't as strong?
Women are complicated creatures indeed.
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
incorrect.

Oh Maskall, Maskall, have I taught you nothing? All of these concepts, integers, real numbers, complex numbers are merely concepts we, as humans have developed to try and allow us to explain how the universe works. They therefore exist as human-developed concepts or tools. Why is a 'real' number and more real than a complex number? They are both concepts developed by humans to attempt to allow them to solve a problem or extend a definition. Just because it doesn't come up on your calculator means nothing. There's no picture of the queen in my calculator, does that mean she doesn't exist?

The complex numbers as with the real numbers and the rest of mathematics are merely a collection of notational symbols along with syntactical rules (axioms) regarding their manipulation. I can't see how you can claim that one is any more existent than the other.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But it applies to the square root of all negative numbers. The square root of -4 is 2i. Do your reading.
the square root of a negative number does not exist. i dont see how u can argue it.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just because it doesn't come up on your calculator means nothing. There's no picture of the queen in my calculator, does that mean she doesn't exist?
No. It just means he has a s*** calculator.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh Maskall, Maskall, have I taught you nothing? All of these concepts, integers, real numbers, complex numbers are merely concepts we, as humans have developed to try and allow us to explain how the universe works. They therefore exist as human-developed concepts or tools. Why is a 'real' number and more real than a complex number? They are both concepts developed by humans to attempt to allow them to solve a problem or extend a definition. Just because it doesn't come up on your calculator means nothing. There's no picture of the queen in my calculator, does that mean she doesn't exist?
but the law says that the square root of a negative number does not exist.

i dont then understand how u can then say it does exist for special cases.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No. It just means he has a s*** calculator.
my calculator can draw graphs and tables and stuff.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

The complex numbers as with the real numbers and the rest of mathematics are merely a collection of notational symbols along with syntactical rules (axioms) regarding their manipulation. I can't see how you can claim that one is any more existent than the other.
exactly, so how can u make up a concept saying that "sq. root of - ve value doesnt exist", then for another concept say "ohhh, it doesnt exist but we will make a contradictory law anyway.".
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (5)
50%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
10%
No- I want it (3)
30%
No- I don't want it (1)
10%

Watched Threads